Nate Hinton Interview - Absolute Basketball Experience

Give me a break. Armoni made like 100k playing in the G league this year and came on really strong towards the end. The Canadian league is just during the summer to make supplemental income and continue to improve and get more tape out there. He got that on the strength of what he did in the G League, not because he washed out of it. There’s not going to be a normal NBA summer league so it was great for him to land that.

Assuming he wouldn’t have done well enough this season to become a first rounder or high second rounder with some guaranteed cash (he wouldn’t have), he probably actually ended up making the best decision because this is going to be a bad year for fringe guys (why I think Nate should stay unless he’s assured of at least getting some guaranteed money/a two-way deal). The selling point of coming back for a deep tourney run didn’t even end up happening.

You guys need to stop having schadenfreude with our ex-players and wish the best for them.

4 Likes

There are a lot of players getting poor advice every year. You have a draft where there is only 64 picks, and last year including international players 233 put their names in early. There were 138 who pulled out of the draft but you still had way more enter draft than there were spots to be selected. If you are a first round pick its a no brain decision to declare, but for the rest its a crap shoot.

5 Likes

@pesik

Cmon man. I’m teasing.

Like I said, I hope you are right.

Please screenshot me saying he’s gone. I’d put $500.00 on it if I could double my money But, not $1000.00+

Yes, he’s in interview mode.

Even Armoni said he was just throwing his name out there for feedback to “be a better leader” or something like that and was for sure coming back. - we never heard anything again.

Nate’s like, “come get me! I’m ready and I have no intention of returning to college.”

Returning to UH depends on how much he wants money right now. If he wants money right now and doesn’t get drafted, he can go to the G League or overseas to play.

these kids have to realize that an extra year or even two could dramatically increase their draft stock.

Sure, you can take the low hanging fruit and leave as soon as anyone will offer you money. I feel like Armoni showed that last year and I just hope Hinton doesn’t make the same “mistake”.

Another year with Hinton under CKS system I think he would be a FORCE.

sure there are chances of getting hurt, but this isn’t football, chances are you won’t have a career ending injury.

1 Like

Kids today do the same as anyone would at that age. They dream of playing the game they love and making a good living doing it.
Getting paid whether it’s the league, G league or overseas is the thing of the new future

1 Like

It often doesn’t work like that. NBA front offices also will ding players for being older. So any sort of natural year over year improvement a player makes can get lost by scouts lowering their draft stock because they are older. Look at where seniors get drafted nowadays.

In Armoni’s case it was very unlikely that coming back really would have done much to get him drafted. The main reasons would have been improving and being more ready and polished for summer league and training camp, finishing up his degree, and just taking advantage of the once in a lifetime experience of playing college hoops on a top team. After he played poorly in summer league and didn’t make camp with the Wizards it looked like he might have made a mistake. But he rebounded nicely and is making progress towards his goal. Anyone who thinks he made a “mistake” is exhibiting confirmation bias and sort of rooting against him.

Where the year back really helps your stock is if you make a massive leap or shore up a big weakness. Looking at last year’s draft someone like this is Bol Bol. If he played another year, stayed healthy and showed a little bit more defensively in space he could have moved in the first round and received substantially more guaranteed money.

I think Nate should stay for what it’s worth, though, unless a couple teams fall in love with his tape and are going to guarantee they’ll pick him in the first round or at least give him a two way (unlikely). If he continues adding muscle to his frame and proves he has three point range it could help some. Also, this is just going to be a very bad year for guys trying to scrap to get into the league with all the uncertainty.

2 Likes

I know someone put this up before, but what is the date that we will know if a player is coming back next year?

Don’t believe there is a set date at the moment with the fluidity of the current NBA season still in influx. It would have been April 21( 60 days prior) with Draft scheduled for June 21 but of course that is not the case any longer. Two more days-- April26 before deadline passes for any College player to declare.

june 3rd was the original date, but as noted no one has a clue if it will change

Another year could also end up backfiring for Nate’s professional career. He’s shown that he’s already an elite rebounder and hustle player and a good shooter and defender. He isn’t going to be a feature player in this offense next year, and will have to continue to find his offense off of the ball the same way he did this year.

Sometimes, more film on a player just gives teams more opportunity to second-guess their evaluation. Teams often draft based on potential, which is a value that decreases when more time is spent at a lower level of play.

Another year spent in college might just be a lost opportunity to make money playing professionally while continuing to improve.

1 Like

Sometimes a man has got to do what a man has got to do. Just that simple.

1 Like

diagree, hintons stock can only go up becuase he barely has any stock now. elite rebounding and hustle doesnt get you drafted …
you made a great case for why precious had to declare (who wanted to come back/projected loterry)…hinton isnt the opposite and not on any mocks at all. he isnt known as a player outside of a few niche circles

its almost a cetainty his stock would increase coming back, we are a projected top10/top15 team, projected to get a top 4 seed. next year he could be a nationally known player…
if you truly belive hinton has draft/nba potential (which i do think he does) coming back is the only smart option. his best case scenario is a 2-way contract leaving now…

2 Likes

He GONE

You gone. :smile::smile::smiley:

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/thatup_coming11/status/1253850120942170114?s=21

However if he came back…we still had this coronavirus thing that would have shelved our season and would have kept him from making the money he now have. We could have been unbeaten and the season still would have been derailed! Good for Brooks.

dd, everyone was in the same boat this year…but I have NO problem with what Armani did…I also think him leaving like he did better prepared our coaching staff for times ahead…

1 Like

Would someone please translate that into English? Thanks!

2 Likes

We have put a lot of work in if you look at my film throughout the years, but we are used to the narrative of being a “hidden gem/underdog”

3 Likes