Nate Hinton Interview - Absolute Basketball Experience

Now give us the King James Version.

1 Like

“I’ve been playing well for a long time and have the tape to show it. Apparently, people are still not aware of my talent despite years of performing at a high level. This is why I have a chip on my shoulder and I’m still using it all as a personal motivator.”

Lol. This is fun.

4 Likes

I guess I didn’t explain my point very well. It’s not that I think that Hinton’s draft stock may go down-- it’s that I don’t think an extra year is going to do anything to help his (nonexistent) draft stock, so there’s an opportunity cost of spending the year in college versus using it to start making money playing professionally (GLeague or overseas).

I think the main thing holding Hinton back from being an NBA draft player is that he doesn’t have the ability to play above the rim, which will limit him as a driving threat in the NBA. If you gave Hinton the same kind of vertical leap as Quentin Grimes, Hinton would be a lottery pick. I think Hinton has what it takes to play at the NBA level, but I don’t think he’ll get his opportunity through the draft.

I disagree that his stock is guaranteed to increase just by being on a Top10 team next year. Being on a really good team tends to help the stock of the best scorer on that team, which next year is going to be Caleb Mills. This year’s Dayton team is going to be a good example where the strength of their team has done a lot for Toppin’s draft stock, but nobody else on that team became a household name and nobody else on that team is going to get drafted. I don’t see what new skills Nate will be able to display next year that he hasn’t already displayed, since his role is likely to continue to be the same on next year’s team. Even if you’re the best player on a Top10 team, it can do very little to shift your draft stock if your measurables aren’t there (Corey Davis is a great example of this).

2 Likes

I think the one area Hinton needs to get better at is creating his own shots and being able to shoot off the dribble. Now, whether he gets better at UH next year or follows his dreams to pro basketball is totally up to him.
I understand what you are saying, but guys who do well under the pressure of the NCAA tourney seems to help their draft status a little.
Everyone who follows hoops knew that Stephon Curry could shoot, but it was his fantastic showing in the Dance that brought him into the national limelight
had to help him a little.
But the bottom line is that it is a tough call, and I am going to leave it to Hinton
we will be fine either way

i see your perspective if you dont think he’ll be a stock riser
 but i see the potential

Hinton is an above average shooter, not a great shooter. But his rate of improvement he could be a great shooter (was a subpar shooter as a freshmen). Grimes and Hinton were better shooters than dotson was a sophmore. dotson was worlds better than them as a senior but its proof of growth potential

also i dont think the Obi/Dayton comp it a apple to apple. Dayton is touted for obi, and they played in a lower league. Houston is touted for Depth not for a star player, we are seen as a preseason top 5 by some and dont have a pre-season all-american on roster, every preseason ranking notes our depth
those that are touted for “depth” have their players known even if they dont put up big stats

michigan from the last 2 seasons ago is a great example- they have multiple house hold names (none were blue chips recruits, non put up big stats)-- jordan poole (1st round pick), brazdeikas (2nd round pick), mo wagner (1st round pick) zavier simpson (2x all-big 10) isiah livers (projected draft pick) Duncan Robinson (miami heat)
 nba execs recognize depth 
no one did more than 14pts a game.

also i think nate is a better driver than he showed most of the season. out side of rebounding hinton isnt “great” at anything, even defense, he is our best defender, that didnt make him a great defender. he has a ton of growth potential

3 Likes

Lets keep things in perspective here. Armoni will make $140k in 12 months with the $35k for 30 games the Canadian league pays. Thats more than double what the average American makes. At 21 years old. He still has all the opportunity in the world to improve and make an nba team. Hinton can follow the same path and be perfectly fine. I hope returns but thats just me being selfish. Lol

2 Likes

its comparative, a low 1st round/early 2nd pick will make 15x that amount in year 1 (and draft pick have better opporunity for brand deals) 
 its about opportunity cost
does hinton belive he is capable of reaching a higher draft status or not

Hinton has no shot at a 1st round pick unless he stays all 4 years. IMHO.

2 Likes

he has no shot at a lottery pick
lower 1st round pick, hinton could reach next year, if he showcases the right skills with development
jordan poole, Keldon Johnson, Kevin Porter Jr, Dylan Windler
(1st rounds from last years draft) all with almost identical measurables to hinton, non were mindblowing talent
similarly for a early second round pick

For some reason with Nate, I just feel like getting a degree would be a pretty high priority for him and his family. His dad has a doctorate correct? I believe I remember him talking about the importance of an education and what not.

Perhaps im just grasping at straws, but leaving early without getting a degree seems strange to me for Hinton.

I believe both his mom and dad have Phd’s.

1 Like

I just want everyone to come back and for us to DOMINATE next year, is that too much to ask?!?!

4 Likes

Finally got around to listening to the interview. It was a dream of mine to play in the NFL, well lets just say that didn’t happen
 It appears to me that Nate is wanting to go now and get into the NBA. He doesn’t mention any other pro league. It appears like it’s The League or back to school for him. I believe that he is getting good handling/advice, which he will factor into making his decision. Hoping to keep him in Cougar Red one more year.

I think you are grasping at straws with this.

A degree is always something he can work towards in professional offseasons or after his career is done. It’s very unlikely for him to a be a 4-year player here.

1 Like