Navy game at noon? Nope, it’s 11am

So half of the night games were on Thursday or Friday.

1. How many Saturday night slots does the AAC get every season vs the “early” time slots? I assume those are not as plentiful.

2. Wasn’t this the board that was complaining when the start time at Arizona was announced? Now there was a night game!

There are advantages and disadvantages of every start time. And it is unrealistic to expect a consistent start time unless you don’t want UH to be on TV. I would rather have an early game or late game - 230 pm kick offs are my least preferred. Everyone is different I guess.

2 Likes

[quote=“CougarDave, post:42, topic:9688”]
Wasn’t this the board that was complaining when the start time at Arizona was announced? Now there was a night game!
[/quote]:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:first_quarter_moon_with_face:

1 Like

I think we would prefer not to fry in those early season games.

2 Likes

I’ll take an 11AM kickoff on a Saturday vs the MAC Tuesday night garbage any day. I like the 11AM start on this particular day, gives us time to get home and watch Herman get knocked out of going to a bowl.

1 Like

Yeah, the MAC gets screwed every single season with Tuesday and Wednesday games. I don’t mind the 11 am games when the weather is mild like now. You guys might call me soft, but I think I have retired from those 90+ degree 11 am games. I felt miserable during and after the game.

There is no FB competition on those days and for a real FB junky like me, I watch them. So the MAC and ESPN have accomplished their mission in my house. Akron vs Ohio last night was highly entertaining.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/930849405216968705

1 Like

We can split numbers all day long. Rather than looking at start times, what about average attendance when UH is ranked vs. not ranked? Vs. teams with a winning record vs. losing record?

I am not discounting the heat being a factor for some of the attendance but the better the match up, the more likely it will be in later slots and the more likely people will be interested in those opponents.

It’s a nice breakdown by time slot but I would need to see who the opponent was to draw a lot of conclusions from the numbers. When the Big XII was flirting with UH, I don’t recall anyone saying we would sell out more often than not IF the kick offs were 2:30 PM or later.

1 Like

First world problems, right?

2 Likes

Exactly. Didn’t have trouble filling Reliant for OU last year. Yea, it’s air conditioned. I don’t think it would have mattered.

2 Likes

Yes, that is why the pro teams have covered AC stadiums, but it doesn’t matter.

Poor analogy. If we played an OK team every game, it wouldn’t matter, but in a conference that includes Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, Temple and UConn… it does matter if you claim to be concerned about the attendance.

11 a.m. games are OK every now and then after mid October in a steamy environment.

But not to the level we have been subjected to. Football draws better because it is an “event” and tail gating is an important part.

11a.m. games tend to hinder that atmosphere.

Now let me hear the…” I don’t care if we play in 100 degree weather in Afghanistan, I will support the Cougars” crowd.

2 Likes

I was looking at trying to do a post in regards to this, but you basically summed it up well.

JD’s stat is fine, but includes the two 20K games at BBVA in 2013 so it’s a bit misleading. Same as this true fact: the ECU game was the first 11 AM game at TDECU that we drew less than 35K.

If I’m the administration or the conference, someone has to make the decision to not play these games unless we’re on ABC/ESPN, which only half the 11 AM games have been so far. Otherwise, it’s not worth it:

• Lamar, on CW39, last year was our former coach’s idea…which backfired with a 4-hour rain delay. Hopefully, the admin never let’s another coach make that decision again.
  • UCF was on ESPNU last year.
  • ECU this season was on CBS Sports

Not a lot of NFL fans complain about early starts. But , it would be nice to have that extra hour they get and KO at noon instead of 11.

1 Like

Yes indeed. We have no control over TV scheduling. Fortunately things have cooled off enough that the fans won’t fry in the sun.

OK, you’re hearing it. I’m not supporting 11 AM starts. I’m supporting the idea that if you’re a supporter of a team, you go to the games unless it is simply impossible, financially or logistically.

I’m also sensitive to and angry at the fact that start times are in the hands of TV moguls. I think game start times ought to be set by the home team to maximizes live attendance at the game. TV can broadcast or not. In the old days, you could only see a local (meaning the team closest to where you live) game if it was sold out. Is that still the case?
Otherwise, you watched whatever they gave you.

I know TV brings in a lot of revenue, but would it be better, long-term, for programs like ours to have our home games blacked out if we don’t sell out? Short-term, I can see this hurting the program so I don’t know. But maybe there are a few thousand fence sitters who would buy tickets, maybe not season tickets, to our games if they knew it wouldn’t be on TV.

Just thinking out loud.

Don’t disagree with any of your points.

Just so you know, I have attended over 300 UHFB games…and counting.

3 Likes

Roll on man!

11 a.m. home games are the devil.

3 Likes