NCAA Basketball Scandal

In answer to comments by Mike_Vorkunov . . . . .

So you had to walk thru snow to get to the arena . . . . . ever think about playing in the South East ? ? ? ? ? South, Southwest or far West ? ? ? ? ? Last time I checked, it seldom snows in those areas . . . . . Pay to play . . . . . If I’m not mistaken, you are getting room, board and an education while you are on scholarship . . . . . The coach and athletic department is there for your benefit, but so is the entire university. They are there to hold your hand, spoon feed you an education, and help you advertise your skills just in case you might be talented enough to move on to the next level. Maybe your should get paid, then have to do like so many other student do, and pay for your education . . . . . Then you could pay for your equipment and for the use of the facilities, like the general population has to do . . . . . Difficult for me to understand someone crying about the hardships of being given a “free” education when so many that want to get an education have to go deeply into debt to achieve educational success instead of athletic success . . . . . Appreciate the benefits you are receiving . . . . .

PS: Check into the financial status of the colleges and universities the support athletic programs and see how many of them and/or the NCAA is making billions . . . . .

1 Like

One can always say “I forget” or “I can’t remember” . . . . .

I hear top players go for $100k. How about someone like RJ Barrett Jr the top overall recruit ?! Maybe somewhere between $150k & $250k

I think he called Wesley Snipes a tax cheat.

1 Like

What about football?

Add this:

So all of this was going on and the ncaa turned the other way? What a bunch of non sense and we are supposed to believe that?
The ncaa ought to be dismantled at once. Will the FBI or justice department look into the cartel that is the P5?
I will add with this. Does this mean all of these Teams are banned from competing and put on probation?

2 Likes

Jon seems a little over-optimistic about this kind of reform. Not sure that restricting recruiting two months out of the year will give the “influence” back to the HS coaches.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/914141607804403712
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/914142856616521734

Great. Then the $$s can go to high school coaches.

2 Likes

Remember friends “It takes two to tango”
Adidas? I 100% believe that all sports apparel companies are knee deep in this. Do you think for a second that Under Armor to name one is innocent? Adidas representatives did not cover their tracks well enough. Call me cynical? Is this the first scandal regarding college Teams? You know the answer.
You probably know Sonny Vaccaro. He was with Nike and Adidas. Interesting article.

1 Like

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-files-what-will-happen-at-louisville/

“In addition, as we’ve discussed, your recent negotiation of the terms of the updated sponsorship deal with Adidas was conducted without timely or appropriate consultation with me or members of the Board of Directors of the University of Louisville Athletics Association.”

When asked about the letter on Monday, Postel added, “It would have been nice to know more about the [Adidas] agreement.”

I don’t think Under Armour is innocent, I imagine that was the only way they could get in the door in places. However if they are innocent, they might be able to use that to their advantage if schools seek to change. I’m not sure maybe Russell Athletic or Champion are ready to swoop in.

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-calipari-says-ncaa-hoops-should-take-page-from-baseball/

“Players should be allowed representation just like they have in baseball,” Calipari said following Tuesday’s practice at Kentucky. “They don’t need a new model because there’s already a model in place. That’s what they do in baseball. Players should be able to earn income because of their name, their signature, and their likeness. If a uniform is sold with a player’s name on it, the player should get a percentage on it. If they want to go out and sign autographs, let them sign autographs. The money should be deferred. They should be able to sign a shoe contract too, but the money should be deferred unless it’s used by the parents of the player for transportation or expenses to come and see the kid’s play. They’re not professionals if that happens and it probably eliminates a lot of stuff.”

Says the coach that is competing with Coach Brown for the highest number of programs put on probation for violating the current model.

2 Likes

When he says they do that in baseball, does he mean minor leagues or college?

The ONLY surprise in this investigation so far, is tha Calapari’s name has not been mentioned !!

3 Likes

He means for the draft; high school and college players are allowed to have representation prior to the draft to help them make a decision. Basically, it’s an agent, but they haven’t “signed” a contract supposedly.

I don’t disagree with him on what he’s saying, but then it’s not an amateur sport if you implement everything he mentions. Not sure colleges are ready to go down that path; even the bigger ones.

1 Like

The top players already have agents… they just technically may not have signed with them !!

1 Like

“You’re going to see search firms explode,” another source said. “The background checks are going to be even more important – and everyone’s going to want someone they can blame if it goes wrong.”

Said Katy Young, a consultant with the search firm Witt/Kieffer’s sports and education practice: “ADs are going to stress search firms more. The trust factor is going to skyrocket. We’re all in uncharted waters right now, at least until the dust settles.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/10/03/sonny-vaccaro-college-hoops-recruiting-scandal-ncaa

In recent years Vaccaro, who later worked for Adidas and Reebok, has left the sneaker industry to become an NCAA agitator-reformer. He has grown increasingly offended by the athletes’ inability to cash in on their abilities the way their coaches and athletic administrators can, and has come to be a refreshingly frank truth-teller in an industry where the supposed virtues of amateurism are often deployed as a sort of trump card. On an industry panel in 2001, he was asked by a former Penn State president why colleges should “be an advertising medium for your industry.” To which Vaccaro famously responded: “They shouldn’t, sir. You sold your souls, and you’re going to continue selling them… There’s not one of you in this room that’s going to turn down any of our money. You’re going to take it. I can only offer it.” He may have never been more right.

1 Like

Krzyzewski, 70, is in favor of players being able to go to the NBA out of high school and reiterated his desire for someone to run college basketball, but he also said Tuesday that several organizations – including the NBA, the players’ association, the shoe companies and those from college – need to get together to make improvements in the game because there has been “no progress” recently.

“The landscape of college basketball for the player, from middle school to high school to college to the pros, keeps changing,” Krzyzewski said. “We in college have not changed as much as the landscape has changed. We are not equipped right now to handle that. We don’t have a good model, a model that fits what’s happening in basketball, so college basketball’s going to have problems. Before these kids ever come to us, we are not the only ones recruiting these youngsters. Talent is being recruited all the time in every shape and form.”

“There’s no progress, there’s absolutely no progress,” he added. “There is progress on what a player gets in college now, but that is only enforced upon the NCAA because of litigation.”