NCAA Basketball Scandal

“Our April of 2000 indictment outlining the conspiracy laid out everything in detail and was closely covered by local and national media,” Hill told Yahoo Sports. “Mr. Piggie’s May of 2000 guilty plea was also well covered and documented the scheme. I can’t imagine any coach not following those events closely.”

Or, as Piggie put it on Tuesday when he heard of Williams’ quotes:

“Well, that’s [expletive],” Piggie told Yahoo Sports. “I mean, come on. Come on. You know Roy knew. He was in the mix. He knew what was going on. Roy’s got amnesia.”

Arizona and Miami were considered the favorites for most of the past couple months, but both schools were mentioned in the FBI investigation last week. Little’s AAU program director, Brad Augustine, was one of the men arrested.

Shortly after the news broke, Little said he removed Arizona and Miami from consideration.

“For me, I just didn’t want to be mixed in a situation where any of the accusations seemed like it was true. Because it wasn’t,” Little said on Wednesday. “Every school I was considering was because I had a genuine interest in them. North Carolina had been the school I wanted, regardless. I just block it out. They can say they want. I just focus on myself, and do what my heart desires.”

Over the past seven years, through a byzantine array of longevity and performance bonuses, base pay raises and tax subsidies, Jurich collected total compensation of $19,279,710, an average of $2.76 million per year.

Last year, his taxable income – enriched by the vesting of a $1.8 million annuity plus $1.6 million from the university to pay his taxes on it – totaled $5.3 million.

Although the annuity was earned over several years and will be paid out in $200,000 installments, his listed income last year was more than the university budgeted for its departments of Biology ($3.3 million), English ($4 million), History ($2.4 million) or Mathematics ($3.5 million).

Jurich’s compensation was more than twice the $1.98 million paid to the next best-paid AD, Ohio State’s Gene Smith, according to a Courier-Journal survey. The only athletic director who has come close was Vanderbilt’s David Williams, who earned $3.2 million in 2010, but he also was the university’s general counsel and vice chancellor at the time, as well as a tenured law professor.

In 2015-16, for example, $1.5 million went to Pitino under his personal services agreement with the apparel company while just $25,000 went to the program, according to a contract obtained by the Courier-Journal under the state public records act.

And that was better than the year before:

The year before, Pitino also got $1.5 million, while the department banked just $10,000.

I understand using outside sources of income to help cover coach salary. However, maybe it should all go to the school and then they pay coach salary directly. Thus, for freedom of information act reporting can get the exact amounts of compensation and budgets.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/yahooforde/status/916339486581280768

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/916324472550055938

University of Louisville interim president Greg Postel issued a letter to Rick Pitino on Friday to inform him that the official process for his termination has begun.

In the letter, Postel pulls no punches in calling out Pitino for his “conduct over a period of time, including without limitation, [his] involvement in two recent and highly publicized scandals involving the University of Louisville’s men’s basketball program.”

The letter references the Katina Powell incident as well as the current FBI allegations, accusing Pitino of violating eight separate provisions of his contract.

It has been been reported that the name of 4 major coaches will be released this week. I have to think Calipari gets tangled in this too.

Wouldn’t be too surprised to see Baylor’s Scott Drew show up as he seems to be another AAU lynchpin.

Drew has long been rumored to be dirty

“I just feel like Adidas, Nike and Under Armour, whatever they’re doing, they’re all doing the same thing, whatever it is,” said Lee Anderson, Williamson’s stepfather who coached his son’s Adidas-sponsored summer basketball team. “Adidas just happened to have been called out. I’m sure Nike is going to be called out. I’m sure Under Armour could possibly be called out. It doesn’t affect how we look at Adidas, Nike or Under Armour. That’s just the way that the culture is right now.”

1 Like

For #RapeU to come back so soon after the murder, it almost had to be dirty.

They’ve been busted once already, but only got a slap on the wrist. Lot of folks believe there is a lot more.

One former high-major college coach who retains deep connections in the business said he believes the case will lead to 40 to 50 job openings for head and assistant coaches by the spring.

Already, some coaches at schools not linked to the first round of charges have retained attorneys. A sense of unease permeates the sport during a time usually filled with optimism because the season opens next month.

“The NBA one-and-done deal that’s in place, that probably needs to go back to letting kids go pro right away,” Kennedy said. "Or then be in college (at least) two years. Those are things that might help some of it. … There are a lot of things that can be done in changing it. But doing it, when you’re talking about Nike, Adidas and Under Armour having so much money involved in the whole process … They can give money to an AAU (summer league) coach and that can be his job, and he can sign a three-year contract.

“We’ve got to adjust to those times and figure out a plan, and I don’t have a plan.”

https://twitter.com/ConnerMitchell0/status/918305118780645376

“You can easily imagine that each of these individuals will give rise to a line of an investigation that will produce new threads that will be pursued by agents and prosecutors that will have an interest in looking at the activities of others,” said Daniel Richman, a former federal prosecutor in the Southern District of New York who now teaches at Columbia Law School.

Maybe every story doesn’t result in federal charges (Pitino faces no legal issues), but will devastate programs in the eyes of the NCAA rulebook.

Therefore, I have secured endorsement from the NCAA Board of Governors and Division I Board of Directors to form a Commission on College Basketball, which Dr. Condoleezza Rice has agreed to chair, to work with me in examining critical aspects of a system that clearly is not working. The commission will be composed of leaders from higher education, college sports, government and the business world, as well as accomplished former student-athletes. Specifically, the commission will focus on three areas:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolReags/status/918182057179860992
https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/918183014789627904
https://twitter.com/RobDauster/status/918184180130951174