New kickoff rule - and it's going to change the game

Of course a lot of players are hurt in practice.

We should stop that also !

Can you give a percentage of Injuries that occur in practice?

What difference does it make !

I don’t believe any of these so called statistics anyway.

I believe most injuries occur at the interior line of scrimmage.

You may very well be right that greater than 50% of injuries happen on the line. But in this case, the percentage of injuries surrounding a small portion of the game is disproportionate.

Just making up numbers, line of scrimmage plays make up about 90% of plays but only have 51-90% of injuries so it’s more proportionate.

Concussions and typical football injuries are NOT the same. You can heal from bumps, bruises, and even torn ACLs. Brain damage is permanent. To act like no big deal is being ignorant. I’ve never seen a football player commit suicide because of a bruise or a torn ACL.

I’ve had 3 concussions in my life that have been diagnosed and no telling how many undiagnosed. My body injuries I can overcome and have overcome. So far I’ve had memory issues and thank God no other issues.

Try to be a little more thoughtful or think things through before you blurt something out.

The Blocks below the waist rule clarification looks to be partially in response to the play at Temple that hurt Ed Oliver. If you all remember Ed was cut by a trap block from the tight end (which in the play was definitely not in front of Ed and was basically out of Ed’ds sight - the play looked VERY dirty). It would be interesting to see how Major feels about the clarification.

1 Like

Well sir, I dare say that most concusions happen in the secondary. You are telling me that the vast majority of severe injuries happen on KO’s. That I do not believe !!!

However, I will refrain from calling you ignorant.

Pray offered statistics from a legit study, I’m going to go with the results and not feelings.

The comment I made is not to name call but to point out that you are downplaying a serious issue. I just feel that your words were careless.

Shawn… Pray’s stats helped open my eyes. Since that’s where it mostly occurs, than I can see the impetus to change it. I still though maintain that it’s a dangerous sport and folks know this. So is rock climbing. And people choose to do it. That’s not to say you don’t improve safety however.

My point is – and I think I could have articulated it better – is it seems that folks want to make everything risk-free. You can’t. At the same time, if this rule greatly reduces concussions, then it will be a good thing.

I was not intending to minimize the concerns about concussions as it’s obviously a huge issue.

1 Like

If the NCAA really wants to reduce kick off returns then all they have to do is move the kickoff back to the 40 yard line and the touch back line to the 20.

I’m a little confused. My message was directed to EECOOG69, not you.

I completely agree, absolutely nothing in life is without risk. Nothing. I also agree that the NCAA and NFL do a lot of BS changes to act like they care but it seems questionable at best. There are so two sides to the coin on this one. So I think we are on the same page.

Again a little confused, unless you are EECOOG69 also. I know deep down no one does or at least I hope not down plays concussions. I did not get that impression from you. All your posts are insightful and well thought out from my experience.

If the NCAA and NFL were truly concerned about reducing injuries (not just concussions) they would do away with the Thursday night/short week games. If you have a Thursday game scheduled, then you should have the off week the weekend prior. Players do not have enough time to recover from Sat - Thurs or Sun - Thurs.

3 Likes

Exactly! Completely agree, it is a total joke. Fake concern while they count all their revenue.

1 Like

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around this new rule. While it may cut down on a few concussions, I doubt it has the desired effect that the NCAA is hoping for. When the ball is kicked off, guys are still going to be running full speed down the field, blockers are still going to block, the only difference is that we’ll see even less run backs.

While I did provide the stats, I wish it was broken down as to where on the field the concussions happened during kickoffs. Most think kickoffs, and think about the returner or the guy making the tackle, but there’s a lot more going on and a lot of guys get injured that aren’t involved on the play.

I’ll hold off on declaring one way or the other until I see it on the field, but this does seem like something just to placate people and not anything that will actually solve the problem.

1 Like

I don’t see many fair catches with a ball caught on the 5 yard line. Maybe I’m wrong.

A fair catch on the 5 yard line puts the ball in play on the 25 yard line.

It was some other replies in the thread. It’s all good.

Here is NFL’s answer to the problem. Will be interesting to watch to see if it greatly reduces the concussions.

Smoke screen. I believe most concussion happen over the middle on the passing game.

With UH, most of the concussions in the program have happened in practice.

2 Likes