Non Coog news. Todd Orlando moving again!

Their Houston tax office is mostly targeting corporations. Unfortunately, I’ve had to go there before.

Also, the top CA income tax rate is 13.3% and the state isn’t broke. They’ve been running surpluses recently and are putting back funds in a rainy day fund. Their taxes are very high though and that may not be sustainable for lots of reasons.

1 Like

Lol, at the narrow argument over Lubbock v LA v Houston. It’s not like Orlando is moving to Compton or East LA just because he’s coaching at a school in LA. That’s like suggesting CDH is living in the 5th Ward because he’s coaching in Houston. Maybe Orlando will live over in Mar Vista and take in some Lakers games in nearby Inglewood. There are plenty of beautiful places within an hours drive of USC, and a hell of a lot more recruits than Lubbock. To each his own I guess but I’d take a beautiful Pacific beach any day over a dust bowl like Lubbock.

2 Likes

Guessing that Orlando’s role was to take the blame at UT. Giving him a shot at revenge was not what the dark empire wanted. So off to California with him. Pure speculation on my part. But as another poster said, ‘CTO can flat out coach’ and Pee Wee Herman did not want to play against him.

1 Like

I think there are a lot of wineries around the Lubbock area. That’s a redeeming quality.

Of course you don’t travel there to taste Texas wines. You go to Fredericksburg.

If you ask why aren’t all the wine halls and tastings at the actual wineries, they will tell you, “Have you ever been there? There’s nothing there.”

Southern California > Lubbock 7 days a week.

And the wineries in Texas suck, let’s be honest guys.

2 Likes

Sometimes topics on this chart can go off the chart into absurdity. Lubbock vs. LA. LOL.

3 Likes

I took the wine train in Napa Valley and by the time we were through, we didn’t care that there was nothing there.

1 Like

A rule of thumb for red wine novices…IMO, wine from Napa Valley is the best.

If you don’t don’t know what to look for on the wine rack, look for Napa Valley on the label.

1 Like

LA area is beautiful, Lubbock is flat as a pancake…

3 Likes

My wife and I really like the Cabs from Paso Robles.

1 Like

I love Coogfans and all of its ADD. Def Coordinators, Wine Tips for Novices, CA Taxing Agencies, and LA vs Lubbock - all in one single thread.

6 Likes

I once went to Fess Parker’s winery. After a while I saw Todd Orlando coaching at Neverland. Then I had another drink or 2.

1 Like

I love Paso. It’s not quite Napa but it’s cheaper, less crowded, and you can get away with not having reservations. It’s also close to the beach.

2 Likes

I am not even a novice, I just like wine with my meals and I don’t care what I am eating I prefer red wine. When having Italian food I prefer Italian red table wine to most more expensive wines. I know the wine snobs would shudder, but I know my taste buds better than they.

I am not a wine “expert” but also enjoy reds more than others regardless of the “rules”. I have had numerous wine lovers and experts, including those at a UH Hilton wine appreciation event and another at a UH Honors College Great Conversation event tell us that that the real point is to drink wines you enjoy.

I am a wine expert. I do it for a living. And, the best wine in the world is the wine someone likes. Now, back to football. Lol

4 Likes

You boys might enjoy “Bottle Shock”. Can’t remember if I saw it on Netflix or Prime. Cute movie about Napa.

1 Like

I enjoy stopping at winerys wherever I travel and I can usually find a couple of wines that I like. My favorite wine is a Dow 30 year Port. Too bad it is not sold in the Houston area.

Bottle shock ruined the California merlot market for years. People are stupid. Especially those that take a one liner out of a fictional movie and treat it as if robert parker had said it.

If you like dow, try croft. Croft reserve tawny is affordable and amazing.