Non-UH Basketball Talk - Week of 1/11

It’s a shame that game is on the Plus. Would be nice to feature this game for the AAC.

Tulsa @ Wichita St at 6 PM
Texas Tech @ UT at 8 PM (ESPN2)

Sure hope the Red Raiders can pull this one off.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1349386196275900416

Don’t have time to read all the posts so not sure if this has been mentioned.
Last I saw Antoine Davis was having a terrible shooting year. He plays 38-40 min in most games, takes a ton of shots and last I saw was hitting about 13% of his threes.

1 Like

he/the team has become predictable, teams have learned how to defend him … when you are a bad team, relying on a 6’1 shooter for 50% of all your offense and have 3 years of game film to find his weaknesses …a common tactic ive seen was putting 6’6/6’7 wings on him like glue for the entire game

his percentages will get better though, they’ve mostly been playing good teams (comparative to their level), his stats will get better as he plays the lower level teams of his league… his stats were drastically better vs the one bad team theyve played (in a back to back)…will likely end up in 28% range at the end of the season
any path to the NBA through detriot is dead

All could be true but not sure I would want him back.
His dad seems to over play him and allows him to do whatever he wants.
There will be options and always look forward to seeing who Sampson brings to the program.

in yikes news lol i was just reading an article about they think michigan is a final 4 team, and they threw up a tweet graphic
only to find out that we are the least efficient/productive top 80 teams in the post (us or south carolina)

https://twitter.com/jgtrends/status/1348690323564711936

(context for those note sure the terminology of the chart: it says we dont take alot of shots in the post, and the few we do take we miss a lot)

1 Like

But it’s awesome for our offensive rebounding numbers.

4 Likes

It does seem like we get a ton of points on offensive rebounds and put backs. But maybe the points off offensive rebounds are kick outs and jump shots? Oh well. What we’re doing seems to be working just fine.

most of our o reb, are kicked back out…and we also surprisingly miss a lot of our put backs when we go that route

I’m curious, how many dunks do we have this year? Seems like some of our putbacks need to be dunked home.

3 Likes

Overall we are terrible at finishing at the rim. It’s a team-wide problem. I really wish Dejon could go back to being the finisher he was his first year here. Not sure what happened, but he seems to get worse at finishing every year.

@Jcoop9 I was just mentioning to a buddy the other day how I was super excited about Chaney because his Arkansas highlights were filled with him trying to tear the rim down any time he got the ball in the paint. I’m not sure he’s even attempted a single dunk so far this year. That is really odd to me.

3 Likes

Yea he hasn’t looked as bouncy as the highlights showed either. Gresham and Roberts both are bouncy but raw on offense. Roberts needs to dunk everything close to the rim since he doesn’t have much touch yet.

i actually dont think dejon got worse … i think our spacing just got worse… i looked into this last year as to why his numbers got so much worse at finishing at the rim… you realize he didnt get worse, the layups got harder…

in the 19 season teams were more scared of corey and armoni shooting than they were of his iso…it was foolish to go zone vs us that year, then it was corey and armoni spotted up at the 3 (with teams best defenders w/ them), fabian at the wing…and we’d just run high pick and rolls with dejon/center… he’d end up iso with someone with no one in the post, and if they both doubled dejon on the pick and roll he’d throw an alley oop…

last year, no one respected us at all as a shooting team, 4th most zoned team in the nation, even the man teams would collapse on anyones attempt to enter the post …they preferred us shooting

this year is a mix of both…but the spacing could get better with the establishment of gorham as a shooter and potentially adding tyson to the rotation

3 Likes

That makes sense and I’ll take your word for it on the stats. But just based on my memory, I remember Dejon throwing up some circus shots in the paint a few years ago and they almost always went in. Not so last year or this year.

1 Like

I agree with Pesik. The lane was much more open two years ago since our spacing was better. If Tyson played it would presumably help Deeky and others penetrate better, but you have the other tradeoffs.

1 Like

LSU smacking Arkansas right now 39-13

Wich at up 28-22 on Tulsa

Shockers are making their 3’s, Tulsa isn’t. 37-24 at the half. Council is really good for a freshman. Making some clutsy defensive errors but he’s young. If Isaac Brown ends up being able to coach well the Shockers are gonna be good.

I hope Tulsa loses every game the rest of the season…

2 Likes

Tulsa has cut a 17pt deficit to 7 with 10:30 left

Wichita St up 10 with 3 mins left

Etienne with a dagger 3 and that will do it.

FINAL. 72-53

WSU off for 8 days now before playing Memphis. Guess the Coogs may need that road W at Wichita St. for the AAC banner

Shockers with 20 more FTs with Tulsa shooting only 3