Non-UH Basketball Talk - Week of 1/18

wichita doing its very best to make sure its a 1 bid league

3 Likes

That Wichita vs Memphis first half was truly as bad a basketball half as I have seen. Much better second half

3 Likes

Unlucky that we have to play Memphis at the end of the year. I think if we caught them early we could’ve gotten an easy sweep. I don’t think that’ll be the case in another month.

1 Like

still not worried about them…they have given up like 10 open half court offense post dunks this games… something im not sure weve done all year …

1 Like

Agreed I posted on another thread that the game was not exactly a promo for quality AAC basketball

Memphis defense is “good” only because of their length/athleticism. Just like on offense, they’re totally undisciplined

Announcers on Memphis/WS game reminded me of one funny TV show . . . . . This is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl . . . . .

Quinones’ shorts are offending me.

1 Like

This is probably going to be a one bid conference. I really hope the conference does better OOC next year.

1 Like

Its a down year for the league but only because Cincy, Temple, and Memphis didn’t do anything in the non-conf. Everyone else has overachieved or at least met expectations.

South Florida has not. They’re my second biggest disappointment.

3 Likes

Why? They weren’t supposed to be anything more than a lower middle of the pack team.

Wichita State lost to OK State and Mizzou. Tulsa lost to TCU and South Carolina. Cincy and Memphis have already been brought up.

The conference is going to need to start winning more games like that to get multiple bids.

UCF got a big win at FSU but has been bad in conference play.

Memphis is loaded with talent but very undisciplined. They win tonight with talent and athleticism,
I hope they are peaking even more when we play them. It will help sharpen us for the Dance.

i was talking about this on a different board … outside of us no one, looks great this year… there is currently not any major reason to think theyll be any major changes next year …memphis is the only team brining in noteable recruits, but talent was never their issue… no on else in the league…and most touted recruits have already committed…
the saving grace is that most of the aac still have 2-3 ships, and the transfer market hasnt started yet…ucf, wichita and cincy have enough good young pieces that if you could land a few touted transfers maybe they could take a leap…

1 Like

usf wasa darkhorse tourney team by MANY getting yetna back and landing an elite recruit in murphy …tulsa also disapppointed, they brought rachal back, and i expected them to atleast be good enough to beat tcu…

and smu didnt disappoint in the non-con they disappointed before that by putting up such an extremely weak non con that gave them no room for error in conference

1 Like

Right. I hadn’t really kept up with recruiting as much but most improvements will have to be internal. For teams like Wichita State with a lot of turnover, this was an especially bad year to break in a new roster (and coach). The league already didn’t have that many impact seniors this year (and everyone gets another year anyways). With a few good transfers and not a lot of nba/pro losses several teams could be a bit better next year.

Nothing was expected from Temple this year. They lost too much. Were picked middle to bottom in Conf pre-season. They lost all the Guards from prev 2-3 yrs, incld one to Grad Transfer – Pierre Louis I believe. Just down overall unfortunately in AAC , but as many have stated Memphis has not held up their end on expectations.

USF was picked to finish 7th in the league. That’s lower middle of the pack. So far they’re 3-3 in league play. If anything they’ve slightly overachieved in conference. The only disappointing loss they had in the non-conf was to URI but they were missing their starting PG for that game. So I’ll give them a slight pass. At any rate they’ve been nowhere near as disappointing as Memphis or Cincy. SMU is disappointing as well, and I should’ve included them.

This is the blame list

1. Memphis
  2. Cincy
  3. SMU
  4. Temple (I’m only including them here because historically they should be one of our better programs)

Everyone else has been fine.

1 Like

I only mentioned them because they along with us, Memphis, and Cincy are the best programs in the league. Those four programs have to pull weight every year. It isn’t acceptable for any of those programs to be in the basement. So while its true that nothing was expected from them this year, that alone is enough to list them as a disappointment because that should never be the case.