Non UH Game Day thread! - 2020

welp in other news, memphis is still very good on ofense…we’ll see game 1 if the defense improved or not

3 Likes

Arky State getting rolled.
Sure glad Memphis showed us that fake Punt with a three score lead.

They also showed us a wildcat with the QB in the slot.

Memphis ended up winning by 13 points, but looked rusty. This game was what they needed to knock that rust off and give them things to work on. It was the same with SMU.

By the time we play Memphis, they should be tuned up and ready. On the other hand, it will be our 1st game and we will have our own rust to knock off. Our team has lost valuable practice time and reps due to COVID and protests, in addition to what we lost in our tune up game against Rice. (And please don’t turn this into a BLM and social justice debate.)

1 Like

And after that it will be “Metrosexual”, which would be so apropos of SMU.

3 Likes

The march was scheduled for their day off they have every week anyway. Only another practice was boycotted and it was discussed with coaches and staff. I agree, also wish we had a warmup game to work out the kinks.

UNT looks like they’ll handle SMU at home.

Don’t put too much stock into this first week. It was pretty ugly all around.

2 Likes

Especially with no pressure !!

Why is HBU playing football… because they can ?

Well, yes. Someone at HBU thought that it would be a good idea to play football and was willing to write a check to make it happen. Perhaps HBU could schedule UConn for an all-husky challenge, if UConn decides to ever play football again (which I suspect is doubtful).

I thought the Memphis passing game looked good. #10 is fast and can catch.

1 Like

I know we all wanted a practice game under our belts, however, they will have no clue what to expect from our Coogs, and that is great for us. Hogerson have game footage on them. I think we will surprise and win this game against Memphis!

5 Likes

We can run on them

3 Likes

Yes, I think we can run against them, but, if we fall behind, the challenge will be to remain disciplined enough to continue running the ball (and control the tempo). I am confident that Holgerson can figure this out, and so the question will become, can we effectively execute?

1 Like

I get it but I want to see the passing game opened up. Mostly. I hope it doesn’t look like last years offense.

1 Like

I hope our defense does not look like last year’s defense !

3 Likes

ugh…that too…lol

1 Like

Well, understood. I am going to believe that the extra year should make it better.

With so many new players and returning players healthy, how could it look like last year’s? I expect an agressive and tough defense that will be a mean tackling machine.

3 Likes

Well, we were told that Cauthen’s style was an attacking aggressive style when he was hired.

Personally I like that style and believe it is almost required with today’s offenses.

Last year had too many anomalies with injuries, red shirts, etc… Our run defense stunk !

Hopefully with all that changing, more bodies, a year in the system, we will see what we were told.

2 Likes

Gotta stop the run.
Memphis is clearly a run first offense.
They ran more on 1st and 2nd downs that I would like.
But when it came time to score they were throwing the ball. And throwing very well, primarily to the middle back of the end zone.

1 Like