Not a fan of Ed Oliver article on ESPN

Where does it say he regrets coming to UH? He just said his brother being here is the reason he came here.

I hate to break it to everyone, very few of our players grew up cheering for the Coogs. I would venture to say very few of the Aggie players (other than country kids) grew up cheering for the Aggies.

3 Likes

All fountains work, decent landscaping and ensure that entries from 45 aren’t an eyesore.

Last time I was at UH, touring with my daughter last year, the fountains worked, all was landscaped and the entrances from 45 were beautiful. In fact, i saw somewhere that tthe UH campus is among the most beautiful in the country.

5 Likes

you are reading it with all the context… then there are article like this made from the quote…no one actually taking in the context

https://247sports.com/Article/Houston-star-defensive-tackle-Ed-Oliver-still-feels-regret-over-not-picking-LSU-Tigers-120524482/

1 Like

Good ole 247 :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Even the 247 article doesn’t say what the headlines say.

Are we in an era where nobody actually reads the articles, just the headlines? Both articles were very positive towards UH.

i get what you are saying…but like i noted you are acting like people will take in all the context.
no one has any problem with what he meant…but this WILL be used against us in recruiting…and yes it will be out of context…

you are saying “thats not what he meant” we know that…but thats not how people will interpret it. in the last 4 hours ive seen numerous posts and many people talking about it, all using it out of context…outside of UH fans i haven’t seen anyone interpret it as not regret

1 Like

You have to take all this with a grain of salt! Journalism today is about appealing to your audience and spinning it in a way that they want to hear and read. They aren’t gonna sell papers and website insider memberships by writing stuff that doesn’t lean towards that particular fan base. Journalism isn’t down the middle just the facts anymore.

Guys, I know all of you have made decisions whether good or bad and have thought …you know I did this, but what if I did that…don’t read too much into this…the Media is trying to do just what you guys are doing: making conflict within the fan base and you all are biting. He is here and he will do well for us! Think of it like this, you chose your wife/girlfriend…but you might think if you went in a different path, how would that have changed your life…nothing more or less…stop reading to much…support ED and lets get our own Championship like UCF!!!

I think Ed’s success is a recruiting tool and if any opposing coach wants to bring up Ed Oliver he is doing us favor.

1 Like

This is like being unhappy with your wife of 20 years because she dated another guy and had real feelings for him prior to meeting you, marrying you and having kids with you. It’s silly.

Ed had other interests, like all teens do, and ended up choosing to play and play full steam for UH. He’s a Coog, end of story.

11 Likes

Bingo!

And he is happy with the decision. I have yet to see any regret.

3 Likes

@pray10 posted this on another thread, so I thought I would re-post it here. Ed says he came because of Marcus (which has been no secret since he got here), but also says you don’t have to go to a P5 to be successful and get noticed.

https://twitter.com/DannyMataJr/status/1027609175549988864

4 Likes

“ I would have come here regardless”

1 Like

Sam Khan is a U of H grad/Alum. Ed Oliver is a U of H student. The choice of words might be questionable but at the same time I have no clue if Ed’s family has ties to Louisiana. Let’s hope Ed will show more Cougar pride in the future. The fact that other media outlets make a big deal out of this speaks volume about their P5 bias. It also reminds everyone f the importance of getting into a P5, any P5. As long as we are where we are this types of comments will come back every time a player chooses us over a P5 program. At this the end of the day Ed is a U of H student first.

1 Like

'Memba…Jackson Jeffcoat, another 5* DL, who was almost a Coog due to his father being a UH DL coach?

He went to UT, became an All-American, then went undrafted in 2014 along with every other eligible Longhorn that year.

Edit: Let me add to this…back then I think there were a lot of people saying JJ coming to UH would be a big mistake that he would regret come draft time. We now know that is entirely not true and Big Ed is the proof.

4 Likes

Edit:
Here we go, I am now reading the Duarte/chron article about the espn piece. Ed is from LOUISIANA!!!.
That is why he answered this way. Mr. Sam Khan could have easily find that out. That is his job as a journalist…U of H Alum second. Do not blame Ed instead blame Sam.

2 Likes