Official: Dejon Returning

I disagree with this whole heartedly. Many of the times I see people complaining about his passes they were the right choice but the person being passed to turned around instead of catching it or had bricks for hands or stopped running. Not all of them, but at least once a game and that sure makes his TO numbers look worse than they really are.

Finally some good news in my world.

1 Like

My observation is not that Jarreau goes to the bucket out of control it is just that he needs to finish the move with a bucket.

Most of the time his errant passes are not poor decisions or the result of hotdogging it, they are just errant passes. It is just a matter of focus and feeling comfortable. Having a healthy preseason and being a 5th yr Sr to add to his sense of urgency will help.

2 Likes

It will be great to have him back! I am writing off last year because of the injury. He might
be NBA material by next March.

1 Like

why are people ating like dejon was just bad last yearā€¦

these are his stat line from the start of conference play till the bite incident
13.4 PPG 7 RPG 4.6 APG 1.6 SPG 0.8 BPG in 29 MPG ā€¦ iff he replicates that for a whole season that would be elite

dejon has been really good in conference the last 2 seasons

2 Likes

Agreed pesik!

Dejon just needs to clamp down on this upcoming seasonā€¦and take a bite out of the hatersā€™ rhetoric. If he tries hard enough, he may get a nibble at all-conference consideration and lead the tooth and nail fight toward a conference championship.

3 Likes

CKS seemed to do the same with Nate as well. I also enjoy observing Coachā€™s game day court-side counseling sessions with the players. I sit in section 117, so I canā€™t hear what heā€™s saying, but Iā€™m sure CKSā€™s choice of language is rich and colorful.

1 Like

I agree! Deeky is very passionate in what he does, obviously he wears his emotions on his sleeve. that is who he is! That is not a bad thing, that is why we have seen him totally take over games in so many different ways. He has such a wide range of skills, passing, defense, driving, rebounding, blocking shots and scoring. Great height & mobility for a guard!

I concur about Jarreauā€™s drives to the basket. He needs to finish better by not missing so many darn layupsā€¦ which I believe he will.

1 Like

You canā€™t just pick a good spurt, you have to look at the whole season when comparing to other players. Here is his whole season which is respectable:
9.0 PPG (5th on team), 4.3 RPG, 3.6 APG (Team High), .63 SPG, .433 BPG, 2.8 TOPG (Team High), 23.1 MPG

His conference only stats were:
9.6 PPG (3rd on team), 5.1 RPG, 3.88 APG (Team High), .64 SPG, .35 BPG, 2.9 TOPG (Team High), 24.4 MPG

BTW, I originally posted he had led the team with 82.6% at the FT line, but I realized that was only through 17 games ā€“ used wrong sheet. Actually, Fabian led the team with 79.7% for the season followed by DeJon with 79.5%. DeJon did lead the team with 81.1% in conference only play.

no one was comparing him to other players, so im not sure what that is referencing

and my point with picking a stretch is noting what he is capable off,ā€¦it wasnt just some stretch it was stretch that was probably one of the hardest in the seasonā€¦and it wasnt a small sample, closer to 9 games straight of back to back. the sample size isnt that smallā€¦i would have just used the full conference but his minutes and production decreased after the bite incident, but we know why his production went down.

dejon his 1st year here, was struggled in the noncon but was special after conference play started
dejon last season struggled some in the noncon, but became special as soon conference play started, till about his ejection

my point was that he defiantly contributedā€¦and for large stretches of seasons he was elite, that he would be special if he could bring it for a whole season

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1280242554894770176?s=19

Unfortunately CKS didnā€™t think Jarreau had a good year in 19/20 so heā€™s expecting more from him his Sr year.

1 Like

lol that interpretation is iffy for ā€œdejon knows he didnt have a great yearā€
i think the point was more that dejon came into the season with big expectations (was a preseason 1st team all-conference) on many people big boards and not living up to those epxectations ā€¦

Pesik, Iā€™m just passing along info. I see No lol in what I sent. If Coach says ā€œDejon knows he didnā€™t have a good yearā€ then to me heā€™s basically stating I think he could have played better. Everything doesnā€™t have to be picked apart with such detail analysis. Iā€™m a Big DJ fan btw. Whew!

you changed great to good in both responsesā€¦and 1 was a quote, thats why i was noting the iffy interpretation
you werent good, and you werent great have different connotationsā€¦but i completely agree with your second part, i interpreted it the same way as " I think he could have played better"ā€¦probably just a lost in translation thing with how i read your response

1 Like

He is a leader and should be the starting PG as he sees the floor better than anyone else on the team.

I donā€™t care if he ever shoots a 3, I would prefer he perfect the stop and pop from the FT line. It would enhance his driving capabilities.

3 Likes

Good or great ā€¦we can Agree to agree! :grinning:

Jarreau was up and down. There were times we desperately needed his skill set on the floor to create, especially in the Cincinatti game. Then there were times he wasnā€™t engaged in what we were doing on offense.
His rebounding and defensive skills will be elite.
We are getting a player back who at any time can and sometimes will take over games.
We also have Mills who can do that and Grimes who can do that along with numerous other highly skilled players.

Dejon regressed last year IMO. Im not saying he was bad, he is definitely a team leader and a great player. I just expected him to improve upon his game from the last year and to me it seems like the opposite happened.

regardless of what you want to call it, he does get very sloppy with his ball handling. on the other hand he can make NBA level passes and moves also.

VERY much looking forward to watching him this year. I think him coming back was a very good decision.

4 Likes

Started the year with a broken wrist right?

3 Likes