Official Depth Chart

Sounds like Wilson Whitley before UT game in 1976.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1305980690383753216?s=19

9 Likes

I hope he means Jack Boyz special. That secondary was incredible!

7 Likes

Just hearing Coach comments is encouraging. Most of here I bet are concerned with DBs, Secondary.
#LetsGo

1 Like

He says it is the best he has ever coordinated, not the best that we have ever seen. Jack Boyz were one of the best position groups I have ever witnessed at our school. There ability to generate turnovers was unbelievable. Coach Gibbs.

4 Likes

Actually, he said it’s the best he’s ever had as coordinator, not the best he’s ever seen. I’m pretty sure any number of secondaries from LSU could take that title! But VERY encouraging nonetheless.

3 Likes

Talk about going from the outhouse to the penthouse! This is a huge turnaround from the walking wounded and inexperience players thrown into action we had last season.

3 Likes

Touche. Edited it.

It was not pretty at times to say the least. Still concerned with Height that I saw starting at DB, one was 5’8", other 5’9". What happens when they have to cover the fade into the EZone with WR 6’3". Oh well I’m more 1/2 glass full kind of person so lets make it Work!!

This is why I think it’s silly for anyone to make predictions about this year’s team by pointing to the 4-8 record last year. This year’s squad is so much more talented and deeper than last year’s.

height is not as big a deal at the corner spot
there are tons of elite corners thatt are short
multiple 1st round cbs drafted last year were sub 6ft
there were numerous 5’9 players drafted at cb and 1 5’8 cb (those drafted are elite–we dont even need everyone to be elite)

safety is regularly where you need height and we have good height at safety

we really arent undersized at the db unit
the only DB that is really undersized for his position is jovanni stewart.but he is the most accomplished safety on roster

and note everyone loved the jackboyz
measurement wise, the jackboyz had some horrible measurements
we had multiple 5’9 4.7 40 players starting at safety
herman when he joined houston noted how odd our db unit was measurement wise and hinted he likely wouldnt have recruited them (noting what he wants his dbs to look like when he recruits them
did not match a single safety on roster)

1 Like

Idk how to take those comments sometimes. Does that mean our QB can’t throw, we can’t make the catch, or they are better than the last guys.

Thanks.

1 Like

Bingo!

Wow that young man is fast.

And shifty!

In the media set today, Cauthern said, “Up front we are going to be a lot more violent this year.” Music to my ears.

3 Likes

If they can turn, run, and punch through the catch point without pass interference, then height shouldn’t be an issue. There are plenty of prototype DBs who get stacked and then caught on, fitting the typical measurements, but how many shorter guys do you see out there?

I feel like we’re in a new golden age of football where we can’t expect the usual. It would be more conducive to develop “football players” and not guys of a minimum measurement/clock speed. I find it intriguing because you never know what might happen. Makes you root for them more when people say they can’t make it happen because they don’t fit the prototypical mold.

We ask our guys to be cover corners and I hope we let them get up on the receivers. I was impressed with the North Carolina corners because they were in the receivers grill on most passing downs. Very hard to hit the easy slant route when they are getting bumped hard at the line.

We quibble about our depth, but every team has their shortcomings or a spot where they wish they were deeper. I think we have the pieces to be competitive and now it will be the intangibles like leadership, discipline of assignments, playing within the offense, etc., that will make us have a special season.

3 Likes

Lets hope it translates into putting pressure on the qb

Another thanks!

1 Like