Official Depth Chart

anxiously waiting on next one! :grin::laughing::smile:.
#WhatShouldADBLookLike

1 Like

just messing w ya XSmithcoog. All good!

1 Like

I know your personality Jess. You and I are always good friend! lol

1 Like

Hehe

been watching or going to Football gms for 50+ years and i got long dissertation from pesik on what a CB should look like. Then you followed all be it much shorter version, so i had to lighten it up with ‘another thanks’ :grin:. There been short, med, tall dbs who have made it successfully to next level.
I’m just waiting for Saturday. Wish I was going!

2 Likes

your’e welcome btw :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Cornerback has been a problem for years. How does it look this time? 5’8" and 5’9" is scary.

Hehe. :grin:. You’re the best Pesik! Now get back over on the Basketball side and give me some updates!

1 Like

My experience, the number one priority for a CB is being able to stay with a WR.
This requires quickness, agility and hip flexibility along with with instincts/intelligence.

Yes I know there are schematic differences to cover this up some.

Generally I think the 5,9 - 6’0 range have the physical abilities to do this better.

I have my doubts when I see the 6’2- 6’4 corners. I originally questioned WJIII, but he more than proved himself from the beginning and was one of the best we have had.

I will take the occasional high point completions for a guy who can stay in the hip pocket all day. There are limitations tougher to overcome as the size differences increase. That’s why you don’t see many 5’6 corners.

1 Like

Stewart isn’t playing on the outside. Not nearly as much of a concern.

It has been awhile since we have had two really good CBs. We had great ones with WJ3 and DJ Hayden
Howard Wilson and Brandon Wilson could do some stuff.

I think Demarion Williams has a chance to be on that level.
Very excited to see what Marcus Jones can do.

Even more pleasing is we have options
Art Green, Jaycee Rogers. Kelvin Clemons, possibly Javian Smith and Collin Samuel and a loaded group of safeties to help.

2 Likes

I just hope our corners don’t play 10 yards off the ball. I don’t expect 100% man coverage. That would be silly. But mix it up. And jam their receivers off the LOS, though that may be a problem for our lighter weighing corners.

1 Like

My thought process is a good corner is always going to get the job done regardless of where they line up. Mixing it up is the best way to go so teams don’t get comfortable either way. Previously we had some bad corners who would stand 10 yards away, watch the bubble screen pass, watch the WR catch it, then stand there waiting for the WR to get to them for an easy 10 yards. A good corner 10 yards off the ball will keep that same play to a 0-2 yard pick up by breaking on the pass.

1 Like

Bump and run should be a good middle ground. I think this defense will go as far as the front 4 takes 'em. I’m assuming we’ll send more this year, but when we guess wrong and drop into coverage on a run play, the front 4 have to keep our LBs and safeties from getting picked up by opposing OL. That’s how the smaller guys end up getting hurt. I guess it’s also on LBs to avoid blocks too, so hopefully this unit is on the same page as far as each ones importance to team defense.

I’m more worried about injuries than anything.

1 Like

Are Clemons and Samuel healthy again?

samuel should be good to go, no indication why he isnt onthe depth chart outside of just not making it
but maybe some kind of information comes out later

clemmons is injured, just had foot surgery but expected back at some point this season
according to dana he’ll be back “soon” doesnt seem to be major

2 Likes

Speaking of the secondary, in the late 1970s Gerald Cook was a defensive back for the Coogs. During that time coach Yeoman was speaking before a gathering of UH supporters, and at the end of his talk, Yeoman asked, "Are there any questions?
Someone from the crowd asked, “Have you ever thought of moving Gerald Cook to receiver?”
Yeoman seemed puzzled by the question and said, “Why?”
The gentleman replied, “Because he’s open on every play.”
To Cook’s credit he did start on outstanding UH teams from 1977-79 and had eight career interceptions.

1 Like

So what was Yeoman’s response to the above?

Charles. Yeoman chuckled of the suggestion and left it that.

Oh yeah, basketball the sport that rules UH