Official Game Thread: Coogs vs the Pirates who love purple (NTTAWWT)

It’s a blessing and a curse. As the junior highs finish their seasons there will be less game film to disect and there will be more “analyst” activity on this board.

I feel pretty good about the defense. My real concern at this point is the offense getting untracked. Keep in mind that at Baylor from '13-'15, when Baylor was #1 in scoring offense each year, they were also at or very close to the worst in penalties, finishing either 124, 125, or 126 in most penalties those same years. Some of us realized Art Briles was an offensive genius here at UH, we also saw that we looked less than crisp much of the time.

I feel that we can win the league, but we MUST start putting whole games together, good offensive and defensive performances. We’re not going to shut down UCF or Memphis, but if we can get some stops and force a turnover or two and then put that big-play offense rather than the one that’s been sputtering of late out on the field, we should have a real shot.

2 Likes

Penalties were a hallmark of Briles’ teams. SirVincent Rogers, anyone?

2 Likes

I am seeing a theme with fast-paced offenses causing more penalties at times. The offense has such a short time to get set between plays. And the offensive players head is going 100 miles per hour and sometimes the body is not keeping up with the mind.

My biggest concern with the D is length of drives allowed. People get concerned about the D tiring out due to the fast paced O, but ECU had drives of 10, 14, 10, and 8 (would have been at least 10 but the half was ending) in the 1st half along with some short drives. They’re allowing themselves to be worn out.

Thankfully much improved in the 2nd half until the backups came in

Absolutely no excuse for the QB not waiting for his teammates to get set and no excuse for a WR,RB, C or G to have a false start.

Pee…yuck!

Anybody have a link to a postgame presser from anyone?

NTX
I would agree with you to an extent. However these drives resulted in 6 total points and 2 ECU turnovers.
The first 10 play drive you mention produced 37 yards and ended with an interception
14 play drive 71 yards and a FG
second 10 play drive 40 yards and ended with interception again
8 play drive 43 yards and FG

The starting D faced 74 plays and allowed 230 yards…3.11 yards per play and 6 points in over 3 quarters. The starting D wasn’t tired…their last 6 drives went like this…

3 plays 3 yards Punt
3 plays -18 yards Def TD
2 plays 23 yards(15 on PF Sprewell) Def Int
3 plays -15 yards Punt
3 Plays 0 yards Punt
3 plays 4 yards Punt

The sub D made up of 2 nd and 3rd team players…20 plays and 185 yards…9.25 yards per play

For reference Miami is #1 in YPP defense at 3.80 YPP…our 1st D gave up 3.11
The worst YPP defense is UConn at 9.21 YPP

Can you help yourself by getting off field more on 3rd down? of course, but the main reason we are on field is pace of our offense…gonna make New topic explaining how this works

2 Likes

Not saying the overall results were bad, but if the concern is too many plays wearing out the defense, the bend dont break style keeps the team on the field for too many plays per drive

The defense was good against ECU. The offense did enough.

2 Likes

CMD isn’t playing bend don’t break. He played that last year and actually had better results. We are blowing a lot of coverages and long gain plays are up . When he played softer and kept everything in front we gave up less big plays and less points. Im not a fan of it but btw. Just because guys are open doesn’t mean it was soft coverage. He was blizing 5 at end ECU game but our coverage was bad. and Young ILBs were losing track of QB in coverage and his scrambles killed us too

I didn’t watch the game on TV but the radio announcers kept on saying how bad the officiating was. They said it didn’t favor either team…the refs were just blowing basic calls both ways.

AAC has the worse refs on planet earth.

All in the name of gaining experience for those players. I’m good with that. Let’s hope it pays off.

1 Like

I MUCH prefer the attacking style we are going with the past couple games. We have forced a TON of bad throws. We dropped about 4 versus Tulsa. But they are there for the taking. We held onto them versus ECU (for the most part).
Low YPP can lead to a game of “keep away” from our offense. The other team may not even score as much. But they are keeping the other team off the field so they cannot score (like Army did to OU).
I’m glad we are blitzing around Ed more. It is causing the double team to have to peel off. Good to see the pressure and the TOs.
The more possessions we have, and the less that they have, the better it works for this O.

UHRed
don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti offense. I want us to score as much as possible. Im just pointing out that you aren’t going to see many(if any at all) elite defenses…when you have a high speed, no huddle offense. Its not my opinion. Its documented thru research. I like us attacking on defense as well.

Agreed but you have to be willing to take the consequences of this.

in 2017…UH offense ran 2.55 plays per min. 13.58 offensive drives per game
in 2018…so far has run 3.11 plays per min(it was 3.22 before ECU) 16.17 drives per game

on the other hand…UH defense faced 13.42 opponent possessions per game in 2017…16.00 in 2018. 2.58 more per game