Official starting QB thread

There is no debate going on here. The statistics indicate that Tune had a better “sophomore equivalent” season than did either Kolb or Ward. The statistics speak for themselves.

Truthfully, nobody yet knows how well that QB Clayton Tune will compete in his last 2 years at UH. However, some alleged UH fan(s) claiming to know more than Coach Dana Holgorsen does about the QB situation and depth at UH is what I would have to call - RIDICULOUS!

1 Like

Hawaii isn’t exactly known for its defense either. Never has and probably won’t anytime soon. The QB position definitely needs improvement if UH plans to make to any noise next year.

3 Likes

the stats dont speak for themselves… the stats say this is tune 3rd year at QB,… no unbiased person would comp wards 1st year at qb to tunes 3rd year as equivalents… you have to be biased to make that comp

4 Likes

You were inferring because of your stats comparison, Tune was “elite” like Ward and Kolb.

Tune is not even a winning QB let alone an elite qb like Ward and Kolb.

3 Likes

Totally agree.

the NCAA says that Tune has 2 years of eligibility remaining - and so he has exhausted 2 years so far.

And speaking of BIAS, I can see three clear-cut examples:

#1 - Claiming that an 18 year old freshman QB being thrown into a meaningless bowl game (in a one-sided unprepared rout at that) constitutes a full equivalent season of college FB;

#2 - Claiming that a 19 year old with no reps or experience replacing an upperclassman QB five games deep into the season and therefore playing only 7 games constitutes a full equivalent season of college FB; and

#3 - Claiming that a QB playing only 8 games in a COVID disrupted/shortened season constitutes a full equivalent season of college FB.

Now that’s some big league BIAS right there. Newsflash - Any kid that’s only played in 14-15 college FB games in his career doesn’t have 3 full years of college experience. Heck, several college FB players at places like Clemson & Alabama & Ohio State & Oklahoma get to play in 14-15 games during their freshmen year alone.

5 Likes

Tune is playing to the best of his ability. Singling out ANY player doesn’t sit right with me. It is disrespectful to him as well as the other 80-100 guys that are out there busting their tails every day. The problem isn’t the players.

2 Likes

yes the ncaa says tune has 2 more years of eligibility … that means tune can play 5 years… it doesnt mean those 5 years will be interpreted as 4 years when comping other players … it is insanely bias to comp what we all know is his 3rd year to someone’s second because of a technicality… please step away from a computer and see how bad of a point that is…
you are comparing physcial development, insinuating after this many games/years they are similar level, but using a technicality to erase a year … how is that remotely fair???

to address your points

• king was hurt at the start of the Tulane game…tune played almost 3 full games, it wasnt just the bowl (tune was also an earlee enrollee- was here 8 months prepping before his freshman year)…and ward having no starts or real minutes as a freshman (no offseason), and being moved to wr is a “season” to you in your comp

your point 2 and 3 are silly, half of everyone in college football is between those ages, and tune isnt the only player to take over mid season and be evaluated, isnt the only one who had a shortened season…why is tune getting some kind of pass that he cant be evaluated …that is is ridiculous …
youve made a million excuses for tune but ward who 3 days before he took over had to relearn a whole position, to you is a fair comparison… sleep on this one… this is a bad take

3 Likes

then why come on a sports forum? where people single out players for their play like in every sports forum… we are comping stats, and talking about play, how he stacks up against other players…literally the type of conversation youd expect in a sports forum

in the memphis forum they are debating that they need a point guard and questioning if alex lomax is capable… in the ecu forum they are debating if they should stay with their qb of the last 3 years holton ayers who’s lost alot of games, or switch to 4star qb mason garcia…in the tulsa forum their qb entered the NFL draft and they are talking about he isnt good enough to be drafted

2 Likes

But Ward is superior in the stat that matters the most: Winning. Dude knew how to win. And he knew how to escape from tackles and make defenses pay! Tune isn’t anywhere as good in those measurements.

4 Likes

The jury is still out on Tune. He has flashes of looking like a very good QB. But we will know after this year. I like him, but I can’t say that he has proven that he is the conference championship type of guy. He hasn’t.

In my opinion there is something wrong in that program. If you go back and look at the games you will see receivers short arming the ball, slowing down on routes. On defense you will see defensive players making no effort to meet the ball carrier on goal line plays.

IMHO they didn’t want to play this year. Was that a COVID thing? Maybe. But if I was Holgorsen I would make spring and summer extremely physical and find out who wants play or not.

Tune needs a championship type of team to prove he’s a championship type of QB. His stats, as shown by WoodMarkCos, show that he is a very capable QB. However, he wasn’t on a team with the JackBoys and several other defensive players that are playing in the NFL like Bowser, Roberts, and Oliver under LTH. And let’s face it, our OL was as porous as a colander and Tune was under constant pressure.

The fact that you pointed out receivers short arming the ball and slowing down on routes is another indication that Tune has not had the kind of support on the receiving end as did Kolb or Ward. Add to that in several games our defense couldn’t stop a hog in a ditch, as evidenced by the scores. I think we will have improvement in the WR corps – especially from Dell.

I don’t think that WoodMarkCos is saying that Tune is as good as Ward or Kolb at their peaks, I think he is saying that his production relative to their games played is comparable. I think that given equal supporting casts on both offense and defense, he could very well end up having as similar production. We have to wait and see how it shakes out the next two seasons to find out.

We all have our fond memories of Kolb, Keenum, and Ward and no one is trying to diminish their accomplishments (Case will always be my favorite). We just need to be fair in our critiques of Tune.

6 Likes

Enough about Tune. Which one of you posters would like a thread started about you so we can all join in and pile on? I am certain none of you are so successful in life that we cant come up with something about you to ridicule.

5 Likes

The problem here is people are willing to take shots at individual players but if you take a shot at the poster they get all butt hurt and attack back or report you to the authorities.
Hypocrites one and all

4 Likes

People use statistics like a drunk uses a lamppost, for support not illumination

Vin Scully

7 Likes

your replies are always insightful. Thanks

1 Like

I try to keep it light on here.

1 Like

yeah, im good with light. Depends on the definition I suppose.

I don’t get into all that who should be or was the better QB based on stats-- go look this up when QB X played, oh wait QB R was better after 3 gms in his Soph year . Nahh not for me.
All I want is the HC for Football to produce more Wins!
I belong on the Basketball side, keep’em straight over here today!!
“Happy Friday to All”

I would like to start a thread where we compare the statistics of all the posters on Coogfans. Statistics like “badges earned” or “likes per post” would be key stats to point out the posters that are Stars and those that just aren’t. Im sure there are other important stats we could identify so we can be as accurate as possible.
If I can get 10 likes on this post then I will gear it right up.

Or perhaps this is just sarcasm and I wont do any such thing.

3 Likes