Official starting QB thread

This is demonstrably false based on multiple threads on this board.

3 Likes

I’m not going to read this thread after the absurd OP. Deer lowered. We should all be praying for a new starting QB. We don’t have the same option to GTFO like Holgorsen Jr.

1 Like

In fairness Tune was thrown to wolves his freshman year by playing in a meaningless bowl game and it’s hard to gauge many during a troubling pandemic. But to each his own

2 Likes

It has ben a real difficult 2 years for Tune, but most players improve and play their best in their senior year. This will be Tune’s 4th year and he has had a lot of experience and learning experiences, good and bad. What i hope is that he is ready to step up, improve, be a good senior, be a leader. The schedule is set up for him to succeed. I also think our 2 young QB kids will get some playing time, too, and show what they have. Going to be a very interesting year coming up.

3 Likes

“We”? You use that term quite generally

1 Like

I have know doubt Tune is working hard to improve this offseason. I’ve bashed his on field performance over this past season, and for good reason, but I will trust in Dana to put the best QB we have available on the field. Go Coogs!

With only 14-15 games played to date, Tune is just now about to enter his “Junior” season of eligibility at UH as he still has 2 seasons left to play. So, he could start here at UH for the next two years. Then again, one of the freshmen could develop quickly and beat him out. Only time will tell.

1 Like

Tune has played in 20 games.

He’s played in 20 games here. At some point, you have something to start evaluating.

Besides that, this thread is comparing Tune in his 3rd year as a UH QB to Ward’s 1st year as a UH QB. That year for Ward was a huge challenge as pesik has explained.

3 Likes

Greg Ward went 13-0 as a starter his junior year. Pretty sure that’s the only stat that matters.

8 Likes

My point is nothing has been “normal” in his stay at UH.
Whether he improves along with the OL remains to be seen. But for now I’m going with what Holgersen decides.
The bashing has been brutal on this kid.

4 Likes

I think that Tune has only started about 15 games at UH. You’re including the first 4 games back in 2019 when he was the back up QB to D’Eriq King - before he decided to red-shirt and transfer to Miami.

I’m including games he played in because that’s what was discussed. That’s correct if we are talking about games started.

Maybe we should pull the stats for the first 15 games started at QB for the 3 QBs discussed here.

1 Like

I give him some grace for that. But to say he’s as good as Ward or Kolb at the same point in their time at UH is a massive stretch.

2 Likes

Go ahead, but that’s not such an easy thing to do.

That’s why I used the stats from each QB’s prior season entering into his last 2 years of eligibility at UH - and then grossed up both Tune and Ward’s stats for a full 12 game equivalent season. (8->12).

Of course, Tune’s stats were adversely affected by playing the 2 games against nationally ranked opponents - BYU & Cincinnati - while cancelling the 2 games against Rice & North Texas.

That being said, it still appears that Tune’s stats are pretty much equivalent to the stats for both KK and GW at the same point in their career paths here at UH (ie; 2 seasons left to be played). It will be interesting to see what the next 2 years holds in store (at QB) for UH FB fans.

Thank you!

You can download the stats into Excel so it’s pretty easy to do. See below for first 17 starts for each player. Seems like a very clear and fair way to evaluate as they were all at the same point.

Tune:
Win/loss - 5-12
Completion % - 58.4%
Passing yards - 4,067, 239/game
TD/INT - 30/20 (+10)
Rushing - 525 yards, 3.1 ypc, 8 TDs

Kolb:
Win/loss - 8-9
Completion % - 59%
Passing yards - 3,987, 235/game
TD/INT - 27/8 (+19)
Rushing - 292 yards, 1.7 ypc, 8 TDs

Ward:
Win/loss - 15-2
Completion % - 69.1%
Passing yards - 4,001, 235/game
TD/INT - 25/11 (+14)
Rushing - 1,355 yards, 5.7 ypc, 21 TDs

4 Likes

no it hasnt even in the slightest… the worst critic here has prasied him as a teammmate, a person and that he works hard…not one mean thing has been said about tune… we all love tune the person…and the critic has been mild…“he is average”, “i want a new starting qb”, “his play not up to par”…most even admit he isnt bad enough to get beat by a true freshman, that we need a transfer (saying he wont be beat by a freshman indicates some level of talent)
… maybe its because i occasionally go to other forums and see how other team react to their situation but we have not been anything close to brutal

3 Likes

THE OFFENSE has struggled and has turned the ball over in some critical situations. I hope it is either inexperience and/or a hangover from this COVID mess. IMHO last year was a disaster. BUT focusing on one kid is not the way to go- there are 10 other guys out there with him and 70 guys (?) on the sidelines AND a whole lot of COACHES.

1 Like

Biggest issue with Tune is his decision making. Reminds me a lot of Posma in that way. Supposedly Dana is a QB whisperer. Hopefully he’ll help him clean up the silly mistakes.

3 Likes