OOC scheduling

my other favorite team Duke

No TSU or Rice!!!

I really hope so. Definitely need an uptick in the SOS for non-conference.

1 Like

I have a Master’s from Illinois and law degree from UH.

I’d cheer for UH to win a close game in that case!

1 Like

A couple off the radar games I would like are VCU or Western Kentucky.

At least you found love out of one!

1 Like

We have to play the Houston Championship Classic
HBU, TSU (our friends, neighbors and helped us when we need help), Rice,.

Careful DD, I presented that idea about a year ago, it did not go well. But a “Houston Classic” with Rice (we play them anyway) TSU is usually a dance team, UH, HBU, and perhaps PVA&M to begin the season.

1 Like

Might as well throw SHSU in there for opening game for Coogs. That Tourney would do -0- for SOS .

2 Likes

UH should play on of the bottom SEC teams from the final standings just like this past year when UH went to SCarolina in the 4 team AAC-SEC scheduling agreement

Let’s throw in St. Thomas too! It’s too bad San Jac shut their program down or we could add them. Maybe instead let’s go with the IM champs at UH-Downtown and in the GUS league. City champs baby!

2 Likes

At least I kept it to a Team that can go to The Dance. Now u throwing in teams at D2, JUCO level. :stuck_out_tongue: Yates down the street would bring better comp in there 100+ pts/gm.

2 Likes

an AAC-Big East challenge would be awesome

5 Likes

Philadelphia Division I basketball schools: 'Nova, LaSalle, Penn, St. Joseph’s, and Temple typically play a round-robin schedule in OOC every year. They’re known as the “Big Five,” although they all play in different conferences (Big East, American, A10, and Ivy League).

See here:

We could possibly do the same thing with Rice, HBU, TSU, PVAMU, and maybe even SHSU annually.

Obviously, we would exclude St. Thomas, as a Division III school.

1 Like

that would suck to waste games on the other Houston area schools.

4 Likes

It wouldn’t suck, PROVIDED that the rest of our OOC schedule consisted of either ranked teams, high-profile programs, or high-profile tournaments.

Might generate a lot of local interest, actually!

2 Likes

My point exactly UHLaw. Have it at our place, generate local interest, make money

1 Like

As long as it isn’t more than 2 games, it wouldn’t hurt our SOS too much. We play/played Rice anyway and will always have one other bad team at minimum on the schedule. We would have to be hosts with all the games at the Fertitta or at least a guarantee that both our games are home games.

France played better defense against Germany in WW2 than HBU played against UH this past season

4 Likes

There’s no local interest for something like that. St. Joe’s is a historically solid program, even though they have had a bad few years. La Salle isn’t great but they are generally a .500-ish program in a decent conference. Nova and Temple are historically good programs. Penn is one of the better programs in the Ivy league which is one of the better one bid conferences. Much better than the SWAC.

The reason the Philly thing gets some interest is because it really is a city championship where everyone goes to each others gyms. There’s no chance whatsoever we’re going to fill up our OOC road games with a bunch of road games against teams in the 200’s and 300’s. Rice is fine every other year but that’s enough. Our other road games this year were at South Carolina and Oregon. Dropping one of those to play at HBU would be idiotic.

If we had TSU come to our gym this year instead of Alcorn State that’s fine. But no one would care that we played all the Houston teams this year at Fertitta Center other than like 5 people on this board.

There are plenty of other metro areas besides Philly and none of them do this.

5 Likes