Opponent Watch 2019: North Texas

Mason Fine’s height again?:roll_eyes:
He’s the same height as OU’s Heisman Award recipient last Fall. Fine’s arm is a cannon, though. Ask the Razorbacks.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Better get your tix now.
The game is only available to watch live via a streaming service.
Make your travel plans now.

The following YouTube video is my favorite North Texas offensive drive in 50 years of following this football program
Right now the UH-North Texas matchup I’d rate a toss up, but one helluva’ college football game for fans whoever wins.
PS: I grew up in Brazoria County & was a Coog’ fan all during my youth until I transferred from Alvin JUCO to Denton. So it was Bill Yeoman, Bo Burris, Warren Mcvae, Kenny Hebert, Paul Gipson, the big Michigan State upset, the Dome, Gene Elston, etc.
Eat em’ up except on September 28’th!:grimacing:
:sparkle::sparkle: See y’all at Apogee Stadium!:red_circle::white_circle:

7 Likes

You MUST sleep that Green Dream off…it is contagious to Denton people…lol. Won’t be able to make this trip but was there the last trip to Denton. Nice stadium.

1 Like

They kicked the crap out of SMU last year, the same team we lost to 31-45, and they stomped Arkansas 44-17, which is why I think our success will be determined by defense. If our defense improves we should score enough win. If not, I’m expecting a shootout and likely loss.

1 Like

Thx Genes!

Missed this earlier in the week, but The SWC Roundup is previewing North Texas this week:

https://swcroundup.com/news/2019/7/27/north-texas-2019-season-preview

Enter Bodie Reeder from Eastern Washington to coach the Mean Green offense. Reeder, at least based on his prior results, is a homerun hire in Denton. Last Season his EWU offense ended the season third in total offense, fourth in scoring and second in touchdowns scored. Reeder should add further diversity to the North Texas offense, plus he’s walking into a stacked hand. The Mean Green’s skill talent is deep and experienced and the trigger man is one of the best in college football.

1 Like
1 Like

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1159814842724884480?s=20

2 Likes

OK already, so we’re proud of this kid from Peggs, Oklahoma & Locust Grove HS. I’d been following Mason Fine since his Junior year in HS. Too short? He’s an inch taller than last year’s Heisman Trophy recipient.
Eastern sportswriters won’t appreciate this kid (unless they talk to Army HC Jeff Monken).
• Scroll down to the video.
Both UH & North Texas QB’s are exceptional.
:diamonds:Yours will show the most speed of any QB that’s ever set foot in Apogee Stadium.
On September 28–May the best team win.
Signed: A Coog fan since the Bo Burris era & still pull for them when they’re not playing “you know who.”
GMG!

https://6forheisman.com/

7 Likes

I expect them to make some plays on offense
They will score points but I also expect us to make a few big plays on defense as well.

The true difference in this game should be when our offense is on the field vs their defense. It will be a matter of us executing opportunities

1 Like

You can have the best scheme in the world but it still boils down to execution. I have no doubt we will have, unlike last year, schemes that are well analyzed, effective and designed to be successful. Question is do we have the players to execute those schemes/game plans/game adjustments?

2 Likes

What continued to be far more interesting is how UNT is lining up. There was an assumption entering fall practice that a host of highly regarded late-arriving transfers and freshmen would make a run at starting.

*A few have. *

Linebacker Kevin Wood seems like a lock to land a spot on the depth chart as a backup outside linebacker. Cornerback DeShawn Gaddie, cornerback Nick Harvey and nickel Dominque Harrison are all in line to win backup jobs as well.

What we haven’t seen, at least not so far, is a member of UNT’s incoming high school recruiting class crack the starting lineup. Veterans KD Davis and Tyreke Davis are holding down starting jobs at linebacker.

Cam Johnson and Quinn Whitlock look like UNT’s starting cornerbacks. Both are veteran players who have been in the program. Whitlock arrived in time for spring practice and has been with the program for a few months. They have held off Harvey so far.

That’s not to say that some of UNT’s top incoming freshmen and late-arriving transfers won’t make an impact.

2 Likes
1 Like

A kid named Case Keenum was too short but won in Apogee stadium and has gone on to make money in the NFL.

1 Like

2. Houston (Sept. 28): Two of the top quarterbacks competing at the “group of five” level nationally will face off when the Cougars visit Apogee Stadium. Mason Fine is the two-time C-USA offensive player of the year. Houston quarterback D’Eriq King accounted for 50 touchdowns last season, an American Athletic Conference record. Both teams are projected to be conference title contenders.

1 Like

I guess somebody already noticed but that drippy font in the player names is kinda like snot, heh

1 Like

We remember CK well.:roll_eyes:
It was the first game at Apogee & we had our version of “the 12’th Man” we never had at the old stadium (Fouts Field) & that is called…
A-C-C-O-U-S-T-I-C-S!
As I recall, Coach Sumlin had to call 2 “crowd noise” timeouts. Y’all brought around 4K great Coog fans to that game. I suspect you’ll bring more fans on 9/28 & if that game is not SRO I’ll be shocked & surprised. No matter how many show it is going to be loud in that stadium.
Hope both teams survive their first 4 games & everyone is healthy. Should be a fun night for all of us who like our college football.
Note: Y’all will love the parking situation this time around as Fouts Field has been completely removed & there are 1,500 new parking spots adjacent to the new Pedestrian Bridge spanning over Interstate 35-E.

4 Likes

So now it’s just a 1 mile walk to Apogee Stadium!
Good luck to all.

2 Likes

:laughing:
I put a stop watch on my walk over the Interstate 35-E Pedestrian Bridge to Apogee & it only took me 12 minutes.

https://www.bigrbridge.com/project/354-bridge-joins-north-texas-stadium-with-campus-and-parking/

2 Likes