PAC 12 goes conf only; call ND

My thoughts exactly. How are 9 games safer than 12? But in the meantime, call Notre Dame!

I can see the coaches aspect. A lot of the risk is who has better marketing of their message.

Reduce opportunities for exposure by 25%. That’s pretty significant.

It also can delay a decision on cancelling the season by a few weeks.

To hear what Ohio St AD said tells me they are going to cancel the season: “I am very concerned,” Smith said, when asked about playing fall sports in general. “I used to be cautiously optimistic, but I’m not even there now. When you look at our trajectory with the virus, we are either the worst country or one of the worst. We wanted September available to use to provide flexibility and control to handle disruptions.”

“I think people need to start understanding we may not play this season,” Smith said on Big Ten Network Thursday afternoon. “We just may not. That’s a reality. I know people don’t want to hear that but we just may not play.”

The Patriot League canceled Fall sports.

So, if conferences start canceling but each conference is only playing in-conference, will the NCAA allow each conference to make their own decision?

Could the AAC still play their conference games even if some/all P5s cancel or postpone their season?

What happens if states start quarantining travelers from Texas for 14 days upon entry?

Could the P5s decide to cancel their football seasons as a way of eliminating some of the G5 programs from the landscape and further consolidate their football power (not that they don’t already have 99% of it)?

My undergrad college, as I posted elsewhere, cancelled all Fall sports, as did their Division III conference.

So far, some conferences have cancelled all Fall Sports, others have just moved to conference only for football, etc.

I guess it’s up to each conference and school, at this point; nothing from the NCAA across the board that I’ve heard of, although that could perhaps be coming.

What is “Spartie” going to do?

Maybe we should fix him up with Shasta.

The only way you could have football is if the logic of the protests not causing the spread because they were outside is applied to other outdoor gatherings. That logic could be applied to having outdoor football games.

1 Like

There’s a difference: The protests were relatively spontaneous. Football games are the complete opposite.

There’s not much that could be done about the former. That’s very different from the latter.

1 Like

“relatively spontaneous”…

… I trust you are joking !!

1 Like

Do words not mean anything anymore? Were you aware for weeks and months beforehand about George Floyd’s impending death? A reaction to a recent event (even if the reaction is mildly pre-planned) is still more spontaneous than an impending football season that is scheduled months/years in advance. Thinking caps on.

1 Like

My comment has absofrickinglutely nothing to do with football !!

Except that is does because the original statement includes football as one of the two things that “relatively” is comparing. Glad we cleared that up!

If you say so !

Then clarify because I read it as relating to football.

Some smart people think the protests drove transmission rates down because people who live in the neighborhoods were afraid to go outside, so they effectively socially distanced.

I tend to think a large part of the uptick in the south is due to people going inside when it gets hot out and breathing each other’s air. Protesters and beach goers are such a small percentage of the population, there’s no way they account for much of the rise.

There’s something to this.

All of my neighbors are 20/30 somethings and the parties haven’t stopped.

They’ve just gone inside. Social distancing ? Lol okay … sure.

Humans thirst For interaction. Close the bar, shut down the restaurant… no problem.

Cheaper to party at home anyway.

Lastly, NOBODY is/was wearing a mask either.

This is why I think that cancelling football will do nothing to protect the players from covid-19. If anything it frees them up to spend more social time, as opposed to giving them restrictions for playing football.

2 Likes

Humans all have needs.

Those needs are worth the risk for some.

1 Like

Pac 12 may lose many players.

Some of the demands are safety oriented, but it also seems some is a power/money grab.

“The group is asking the Pac-12 to distribute 50% of each sport’s conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports, to give six-year athletic scholarships and for the ability to transfer one time with impunity.”

Note they are asking for revenue, not profit. and asking for coaches to get pay cuts at the same time.

“The group is also asking conference commissioner Larry Scott, administrators and coaches to “drastically reduce excessive pay” and end performance bonuses in order to help preserve existing sports”

I don’t do twitter, but apparently some of the players at Wash St have been asked to leave. from what I gather on their boards. The coach was very reasonable saying that they could opt out for covid and be welcome back next year, but they can’t continue to use the weight room and practice facility while opting out.