PAC 12 goes conf only; call ND

The concept of conference only is based on the idea that a conference provides a structure to ensure standards in protocols, communication, and/or discipline if those standards are not upheld. It is not completely safe, but it is safer due to decreased variables.

That is ironic since the PAC12 brings in the least money out of the P5s.

To the extent they’re concerned about covid, possible long-term health issues from covid and from playing, generally, I completely agree.

The rest is going nowhere with me, and I’d guess with most people.

Although I agree that spending on sports has gotten way out of control, particularly basketball and football, I don’t think that’s going to change systemically without involvement from Congress.

This provides a fair bit of background to whats happening in the PAC-12.

Next time, they’ll have a union!

Very interesting read.

The players come off in two ways: greedy and self centered for one perspective. Simple business men out for themselves as the other (normal).

They lost me about their caring though with starting off saying BLM and Covid are the same thing. They talk about how these are important issues, then later follow with it is all about the money. Kind tell their true intentions. They are using BLM and covid to get paid.

This part really got me:
“Daltoso doesn’t buy the common retort to that question, that the money revenue sport athletes don’t receive is necessary to fund non-revenue sports. “We don’t want it to turn into revenue vs. non-revenue sports,” Daltoso said. “They’re nonprofit, so they’re spending all the money. They’re putting their hands up: ‘We’re gonna have to cut the soccer team if you get paid.’ That’s not how it works. It’s not our fault you were irresponsible with this money.””

Agree.

__

I see a big issue when they want the money for themselves, instead of funding for the women’s sports. If football doesn’t pay for the non-profit women’s sports, then football becomes a big cut of scholarships on the men’s side for Title IX.

Time for college to go back to amateur status. Get rid of the swanky practice facilities and lockers, cut out the game rooms, tutors, and dining halls.

1 Like

It is well known that football and basketball provide the funds for the other sports in most schools. For a relatively few, baseball also is a revenue sport. These funds are necessary to provide for requirements of Title IX. However, for so many schools, including UH, the athletic department operates in the hole.

I think it is entirely plausible to put a clause, boldly written in large print, in the scholarship contracts the athletes sign that their signature acknowledges that they will get no other benefits other than the standard benefits and will not include any additional revenue. Any attempts to obtain additional revenue, by holdouts or other means, would void the scholarship and they would be removed from the team. In such case, they would be then eligible to continue their education at their own expense.

College football has lasted for 150+ years without paying athletes and I am sure we can find players who would be happy to continue to be exploited under the current scholarship arrangements.

2 Likes

Red80:

With all do respect because you are one of our most respected poster. In all my born days that is the most outrageous thing that I think I ever read on CoogFans.

College sports is going in 100% opposite direction. 150 Years! For 100 years college administrators including coaches got paid more or less in the region of regular folks. Now they are all millions!
And you want to take money away from the kids! No way!

I couldn’t disagree with your post more. With all do respect we must agree to disagree on this matter.

1 Like

Whats the old saying, never let a crisis go to waste, and the players see an opportunity for which has long been discussed among players in college and ex players, and that is the amount of money in the game. The reason p5 desperately want kids back on campus is so they can tell the players to get back on the field, they have basically signaled were “to big to fail”! This will not go away and it will spill over into all p5 conferences, which is going to be interesting.

1 Like

I’m shocked at your response !! NOT !

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks Dave. This is a perfect example of a Paul Harvey “story behind the story”…
Screaming Click Bait Headline…then the back story tells us that Rolo did exactly what any Coach would have done…

3 Likes