Playoff rankings

Isn’t it the 5th bowl cancelled?

I guess I should have said one of many bowl game cancellations.

I don’t think the bowls will be able to hold the teams to sales quotas like in the past. That will really cut into their ability to be viable.

1 Like

It may be worth ESPN’s while to bail out the bowl games.

1 Like

Regarding BYU and Cinci, they are not competing for the same NY6 slot. Cinci get’s the G5 autobid, while BYU (because it’s not a G5 member) is competing for the at-large bid that usually goes to the P5 schools. Cincy is the token G5 and the P5 cartel lose nothing by giving them a NY6 slot, while BYU is a different story, having BYU take an at-large bid and $ payout from one of the P5’s, is clearly what the committee is trying to avoid by ranking BYU as low as possible. This is a deliberate attempt to keep BYU out of NY6, so as to not share a piece of the pie with an outsider not part of the P5, so by ranking them that low with one game left, pretty much screws us over and leaves us relying on dominoes to fall in order to land in one, which is a complete injustice as we will be deserving of a NY6 Bowl should we win out.

1 Like

One thing one can count on from a cartel is that said cartel will screw everyone to satisfy their own greed. As long as BYU is an independent, they will continue to be shafted by the P5 driven CFP committiee. Now, if BYU were to join a conference, say the AAC for example, they could battle for the G5 spot in an NY6 bowl. Who knows, with BYU the AAC may even get to be elevated to a real P6 like the Big East was.

2 Likes

If the AAC were to become a sixth Power conference (P6), I’d be all over us joining, especially if we could get Boise State and San Diego State to tag along. But until then, joining any G5 conference is considered the lesser option then staying independent where we can play 5-7 P5’s a year coming close to mimicking a P5 schedule. To us, joining the MWC or AAC would be waiving the white flag or throwing in the towel. Indy sets us up in the best position to be picked up by a P5 conference should that become a possibility.

BYU has a national following so from BYU’s perspective, why hasn’t a P5 invited your football team to join them? Just curious. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pride comes before the Fall.

Everyone sees it but BYU’s fan base.

Even AAC fans are mixed on inviting BYU. How do you think the rest of the P5 feels?

And NO BYU and Notre Dame are not comparable Independent programs or religious flagships. I won’t go into all of the reasons but BYU needs to make a move that is best for the future of their program…staying Independent is not helping them. They can watch the AAC send a NY6 rep every year and possibly a playoff competitor because of their spot IN a conference.

1 Like

We haven’t been invited in part due to religious bigotry (Pac 12) and botched negations’ with the Big 12 in 2011.

1 Like

Yes, we have a large national following built-in because of the church. Go to any BYU game anywhere in the nation and you’ll see a large contingent of BYU fans (ESPN would agree, giving us an exclusive contract due to that built-in national following). We brought 10k to Tennessee (Neyland Stadium) last year and we always have huge turnout in the thousands when our teams play in Texas, mostly from the local Texas BYU faithful. I was at a BYU vs UCLA game where we had 20k at the Rose BOWL, mostly from So Cal, Arizona, Vegas and Utah. And a pretty good turnout for both times we played y’all in Houston from the local BYU fans/alumni. I was at a BYU vs UVA game in 2013 where we brought 5k to 7k. They couldn’t believe how many BYU fans were at the game, and they were mainly from the surrounding areas of DC, Maryland, Carolinas, etc.

1 Like

Being independent is better then a big fish in a little pond with a NY6 game as the glass ceiling. It’s not pride, its fact. We are not some regional mid-major.

The playoff committee disagrees. The AAC has been viewed as a stronger conference with each passing year while BYU is grouped with the other Independents, not named Notre Dame.

Just look how the Playoff Committee views BYU.

1 Like

Also BYU would not be a Big Fish in the AAC. The AAC routinely produces a number of different top 10/15 programs in BOTH Football and Basketball.

In fact, only the SEC and B1G 10 had more top 25 teams at the end of the 2019 football season than the American Athletic Conference.

2 Likes

Realistically, what is BYU’s ceiling year in year out? The CFP is attainable only if you run the table with 6-7 P5 wins. How many of those seasons has BYU put up in the last 30 years?

What botched it in 2011 with Big12??

1 Like

Says everything. BYU will never make it as independent.

1 Like

That NY6 game will be better than what BYU gets

1 Like

So next year you guys have 7 P5 games so if you go undefeated, I’m not sure they will still let you into the CFP with no conference championship game. If one of those P5s you beat were an Alabama or Ohio State, they might let you in.

2 Likes

3 teams will kill your unbeaten run next year. Beating Arizona should also be a gimmie and won’t really help. You need Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and/or Notre Dame on your schedule to bust the door in.

2 Likes