Potential New Defensive Coordinators

Based on the way Gibbs stood up and did his best for us in that last bowl game, I would give him a shot just for that. I respected the way he handled the end of that season.

16 Likes

I would anything or anybody over Donofrio any day.

1 Like

CDG and CZS didn’t fit in with the whole Herman group. Anyone rejected by Herman gets a plus in my book. I felt it Dec 2014 and know it Dec 2018.

3 Likes

No worries. I thought the same thing initially.

Spot on. One of the things that only a few of us have been talking about is a strength and conditioning coach. I am not 100% convinced that our injuries this year was a result of poor strength and conditioning but I have a feeling that it played somewhat of a role.

Excluding the fluke injuries, I find it interesting that all of our injuries happened around the same time. Typically players fade as the year goes on just from wear and tear, but to see so many fall in a short period of time kind of makes you wonder.

5 Likes

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Didn’t D’Onofrio have a solid defense at Temple? I think we pretended like Miami didn’t happen when we hired him.

5 Likes

He actually had some good ones at Miami too.

I mean I guess you could say we had a solid one last year…

1 Like

Rumor is that Zac Spavital will follow his brother to Texas St and Houston is pivoting to Gibbs who was interviewed. My guess is that Gibbs will be announced within the next couple of days.

1 Like

Meh. Not impressed. 8-4/7-5. Same ole stuff.

I hope someone has thought to consult with Kendal on who he thinks would be a good DC fit for the Briles offense. You got to rely on the people you have.

3 Likes

There may be some serious negotiations going on between Gibbs and our AD …

Pez won’t make the same mistake made with our last DC …

I don’t expect a Mike Ditka defense the first year but hopefully something respectable that will give our offense some buffer padding to win a high scoring game … ESPECIALLY … with the killer schedule we are facing.

4 Likes

Sorry if I missed this, if stated above, but who exactly was AD when D’ Onofrio hired ?
I thought it was Hunter, not Pez, correct ?
Thanks !

Yes, I believe so.

Pez was hired right before Briles. D’Onofrio was hired a year earlier.

Pretty sure the head coach chooses the coordinators anyway and the AD just works out the deal.

2 Likes

I agree. I like David Gibbs, I like his defensive philosophies (mixing things up, attacking the offense, and creating chaos and turnovers), and I especially like the way he handled the team after Levine was let go. I will be thrilled to have Coach Gibbs running the UH defense.

7 Likes

He did. Frankly if we’d gotten the production of 3/4 of his Miami defenses we probably would’ve had a much better record this year. This UH defense was much worse than any of his Miami defenses.

1 Like

I know we have interviewed several candidates who’s names were kept confidential. Unsuccessful candidates will never be revealed since it is considered unethical. These guys interview in confidence so their current school doesn’t know, unless they want them to so they can negotiate a better deal at their current gig.

1 Like

Usually that would be the case, but remember Pez has history with Gibbs. Pez, I believe was VERY instrumental in hiring Gibbs the first time around with Levine when he was AD of FB Ops because I believe there was a connection between the two when Pez was at Reliant and Gibbs was with the Texans.