Potential New Defensive Coordinators

I feel like it was based on recruiting. Trevon Stewart and Adrain Taylor (?) were turnover machines under Gibbs. If we had games without turnovers, then we usually did not do well. The turnovers not only helped the defense, but are psychological weapons that turn the momentum of a game. Can Gibbs recruit guys that can cause turnovers vs just wrapping up?

Ehhh…not really true. We compete directly with Tech, Baylor, and TCU for recruits among state schools; we’ve won our share of battles and we’ve been winning more recently. Recruits are realizing that just because Tech is in a P5, doesn’t mean they’ll ever have a chance of playing in a big bowl or playing a ton of games on national TV…and you have to live in Lubbock most of the year.

2 Likes

That makes me feel better about our recruiting future if he comes back.

1 Like

There certainly should be some concern. But I think the total D rankings may have been due to how many snaps they play because their offense scores so quickly(sounds familiar). I think his biggest factor should be how he handles situational football, something our last DC lacked awareness in.

When it’s 1st and goal on the 1 are we going to trot out 30 LBs or put some bigger bodies in there?
When it’s 3 and 14 , are we going to play bump and run or zone coverage with our DBs, and LBs slide to the flats?
Will he run Cover 3 less than 80% of the time?
When it’s time to blitz is it going to be predicable, or delayed?
When the team defense is already struggling because he can’t orchestrate a working scheme, is he going to pour up another drink of Jack Daniels and slow himself down more? lol

I’m not a fan of the potential hire of Gibbs but if he can avoid those things then we will at least be better.

He was the lead recruiter for Garrett Davis, Howard Wilson, and Jeremy Winchester at Houston.

3 Likes

Okay that is my mistake on the 4 stars but now you guys have opened a new can of worms. Gibbs cannot recruit. How can you be in the state of Texas at a P5 program and not get 3 or 4 four star recruits every year?

Yall act like Tech and Houston are the only places he ever coached…Gibbs first DC job was at Minnesota. They were a bottom feeder defense when he first took over. By the time he left, they were 8th in the country in scoring defense…At Auburn, his defense was dominant and allowed the Tigers to beat Oregon and win the NC…
yes, Gibbs has coached a NC defense…Sure Auburn has great talent, but it proves he knows what to do with it if he has it…He coached well for us, too…his ONLY failure as a college DC was Tech…Give him some decent players and he’ll come through for us, i think…

7 Likes

Because it’s Texas Tech and they never get 3 to 4 star defensive recruits. Remember, they have to battle Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, and every other blue blood program for those guys just like the rest of the Texas schools. Most of those guys aren’t going to pick Lubbock when Tech has no real sustained history of success in football.

On all three of those guys, Zac recruited as well. We don’t really know how much was Zac and how much was Gibbs.

I’m aware of his success. I’m also aware of his most recent blunders. It’s as if we didn’t just fire a DC that was successful at one point, but the latter portion of his career showed decline. I’m not saying they’re the same, but there are some similarities that shouldn’t be ignored. I wish him the best, just being objective here and not letting my love for what he did here 5 years ago for us cloud my judgement.

1 Like

I will give Gibbs a shot and support him if that’s what Pez wants, but his recent records will hang over his head.

Paraphrasing Janet Jackson, “What have you done . . . lately?”

2 Likes

@Ron1102, I’m definitely not fully on board the Gibbs train, we’ll see if his defense can mesh with an up-tempo offense here. We didn’t run up-tempo when he was here before and his record at Tech isn’t great. However, he was a solid coach at Houston who could recruit and implemented Turnover Tuesdays so there is some good history there.

We’ll have to see. If it doesn’t work out, may only be here for a year anyway.

3 Likes

Wow, two days ago this board was full of Gibbs is our guy, we have to sell everything to afford Gibbs and now that it looks like we might have Him it is what the heck, why are we trying to hire him?

3 Likes

Yes, it now seems that anything less than a Nick Saban clone as our new DC and some Coogfans will be pi$$ed. This would be laughable if it weren’t so telling of the level of delusion of some folks on here.

3 Likes

Coach K was calling some fans out for expecting too much from one of his players. Fans, with any amount of success from their team, expect perfection.

You aren’t looking at it the right way. It’s the Gibbs supporters being stubborn. They couldn’t even name another potential candidate. Why dig all in on one guy? Now if another candidate gets hired that has a better resume, it won’t matter. Any struggle next year won’t be based on talent or schedule, it’s just going to result in some popping in on every game day thread saying “we should have hired Gibbs.”

3 Likes

Okay so basically if he has some decent players he is a wiz-bang DC … but if he has not so decent players then he winds up being a dud … that tells me he is an iffy crapshoot DC … at Auburn he was throwing sevens on the crap table but at TT he was throwing snake eyes …

Regardless as they say here in Texas … ya dance with those who brung ya … or in this case those you recruit so that if he can’t recruit diddly squat at a P5 school in a bad location then you are a bad recruiter and mediocre defensive coach …

SORRY but we can do better … lets hope Pez who supposedly is smarter than a tree full of owls will not turn into a tree full of dodo birds …

1 Like

The reverse is true as well. I was thinking Spav until his brother got hired. I would love me some Pelini. I am fine with Gibbs.

However, when Major was hired, there have been people on here that didn’t even give him a chance before they were calling for his head. They haven’t stopped. They are actually worried he might hire someone who does make a significant improvement on defense, because their dislike of him is so ingrained.

Whoever it ends up being, I will hope that he can at least make the defense respectable. It is too easy to say improved, because anything is pretty much an improvement over how things went this year. With our offense, all we need is respectable.

5 Likes

Is it really that? Or are they afraid his next hire is like his first two?

I am fine with Gibbs but like I’ve said on another thread I think Texas ties is overrated. Last time we had a national search for a DC and the Boys and Girls Club wasn’t involved we got CTO, an employed current DC from a good MWC program.

2 Likes