Potential New Defensive Coordinators

Make excuses for lackluster coaching of good talent. Lose to SMU (who is at least two cycles behind in recruiting) and wonder how it was all possible. :thinking: lol I just can’t anymore.

We have the golden child Briles so what’s the problem. Happened to Herman too.

The difference was Herman was looking for a job. Whats our current coaches excuse?

1 Like

CMA and Briles to Kanas confirmed.

Edit: In the event of a meltdown just know I was kidding.

So he wasn’t looking when they played OU or Louisville?

K. Briles’ kryptonite is that he’s a work in progress.

At Baylor, he had Art to consult with on offensive game plans. My guess is that Art called some of the plays depending on the defensive alignment.

At UCF, he had Lane Kiffin to consult with on offensive game plans. Kiffin knows a thing or two about the offense.

At UH, Kendal is essentially on his own so he’ll make mistakes. Kendal is not a finished OC product, but he’s learning and eventually it’ll pay dividends if he stays with the UH program.

4 Likes

No he was securing his legacy of himself being a legend in his own mind.

3 Likes

That brings in a good question that I was thinking of: Did Kendal not get any wisdom passed down from Monte Kiffin on what defenses to look out for while at FAU?

Crazy as it may seem, it needs to be taught of reinforced, as it’s horrendous in HS ball

1 Like

He took a year off to coach his son. By all means we have to make a change at DC asap, but I find it weird people are using coaching his middle-school aged son against him.

To the future hire, it absolutely has to be a DC (or position coach) on a team that runs extreme offensive tempo like we do. That’s at least some small part of the challenge here, that if this kind of offense is working well it’ll mean this D is on the field 39-40 minutes on average per game.

2 Likes

You are willing to give Kendal time to learn; I wish more people were as patient with Major.

3 Likes

We’re just a giant, five-year learner’s permit.
We should use it during our next hire. “Come and use our athletic budget to learn your profession.”

Sign on during our special 30 day promo and get 2 years of help on when to kick field goals!

1 Like

How about a 3-year permit?

Is that a nickname or a request?

5 Likes

Our athletic budget has a name…Tilman Fertitta. If he’s fine with a learner’s permit, so am I.

We should be more grateful for learner’s permit status of our coaching staff.

Bill Yeoman was an assistant at Michigan State before he became a HC at UH. He was awarded a learners permit.
Art Briles was a first time collegiate HC at UH and he was awarded a learners permit.
Kevin Sumlin was a first time collegiate HC at UH and he was awarded a learners permit.
Tom Herman was a first time HC at UH and he was awarded a learners permit.
Major Applewhite is another in a long line of HC at UH who was awarded a learners permit.

Others at UH were less successful as a HC, but nevertheless were awarded a learners permit:
John Jenkins
Kim Helton
Tony Levine

A learners permit is standard operating procedure in our history.

I’m sorry to disappoint some of you, but Major is going to be a good coach. He’s fairly new to coaching, but every year he has gotten better with addressing his flaws from the previous year. Example, last year clock management, special teams, and pass defense were a concern. This year the only thing he has not fixed IMO is the pass defense. That’s clearly going to be an easy fix when the current DC packs his bags.

11 Likes

When we hired Art Briles as HC he had no experience as HC, OC, or DC at the college level; but, he did OK. It did take him a few years to win the CUSA championship, but he inherited a mess from Dana Dimmel

3 Likes

Not so sure about that, but he’s got at least one more year to prove it. UH is the tip of the ice berg in G5, beyond a shadow of a doubt. If you’re a good HC, you win big here and get poached, that’s reality in todays CFB climate. If the P5 programs are not sniffing around the HC here in very short order, that’s not a good sign. Not expecting a HC to go 13-1 every year here at UH but I refuse to accept that we shouldn’t be dominant in the realm of our G5 brethren, we have better resources and facilities than to accept less. Whomever is the HC here, it’s a tough spot but if you’re good, you’ll be set up very well financially ie: Briles, Sumlin and Herman. No matter who the HC is, Go Coogs !

1 Like

FIFY

The reality in college football is that it takes years to get everything in order to be a successful head coach. There have been too many flash in the pan coaches that struggle the first year at their new jobs and people are surprised because their sample size said the contrary. UH is no different. We will have some coaches that have to overcome some challenges along the way. We will have FEW coaches that win big their first year. In 2018 and beyond, every AAC team has the same level of talent. If ya’ll can’t understand that, you’re in for more heartbreak.

1 Like

So you’re ok with UH being on level par with UCONN ? If UH can’t bring in better talent being in South Texas then you got a HC that has no business being here IMO. CMA has ten-fold the resources his predecessors had, no excuses for not winning big and being the top G5 program. Now is not the time to not be dominant with realignment on the horizon…the consequences if we miss out on the next round are monumental. Not expecting to be 12-2/13-1 and beat ever P5 every year but best be at/near top of the heap in G5 Land