Potential New Defensive Coordinators

No decent coordinator is coming to UH this year. All they have to do is know the team has performed under expectations the first two years, the defensive recruits are average AAC at best and the schedule gets much tougher next year. In other words, he would have one spring to greatly improve the defense or hope the next head coach keeps him around.

2 Likes

I did not say I was ok with the same talent level of Uconn or that CMA was without resources. However, having 5 star players in the city is not a resource if we can’t access them yet. Face it, we are still a G5 team that has the same obstacles as any other G5 team. And speaking of the Houston area, G5 teams, UConn and every other AAC team, we will have the same level of talent because they all recruit Texas. This shouldn’t be news to anyone on this board(we’ll have to start another post for that one).

The talent gap is narrowing. SMU signed their 4th,7th, 8th,9th, 11th, and 12th rated recruits of all time, within the last 3 years. All of which were at least an .86 rating or higher. I don’t understand were the delusions of us still having the “most” resources are coming from. Our resources are everyone’s resources until we can build a fence. I used SMU as an example because they are probably the least talented team in the conference and still can line up an play with everyone else.

As far as winning 12 games, if it were that easy, it would have been done by everyone with a HC position. I highly suggest giving the opposition more credit.

2 Likes

Yes Sir, know where you’re coming from and appreciate the take with great points. There are very few G5 that I know of that have UH level facilities/resources with TDEC, IPF, Tilman Center, Schroeder Park, etc. Sell the program where the local kids want to stay home. Just think can’t afford to be not front and center right now.

2 Likes

I understand the concern. I feel like two things have to be corrected first, fixing the depth on defense, and hiring someone who can at least get us in the top 50 in total defense. Whether Briles stays or goes, we should be successful going forward.

I seem to recall that CMA said he would be recruiting differently than Herman. I think Herman tried to recruit to make himself look better so He could get out of here faster. Go back and look at everything he did it was about self promotion. He was planning his exit the minute he got here.

5 Likes

Our return game consists of fair catch everything. We did have one kickoff return attempt this weekend, but the other return man not catching the ball had already called for the fair catch as soon as it left the kicker’s foot out of habit

2 Likes

I was more concerned about giving up big returns. If we prevent big returns and and fair catch, and remain neutral that’s a win/improvement. Maybe next year we’ll have some explosive plays in the return game. A lot of youth on special teams.

Having a 120th ranked defense will be an indication that we not moving in the right direction.

1 Like

What I have noticed is when we play tighter coverage, we tackle better.

Kinda makes sense as you need to be in the same zip code to touch the guy !!!

This dropping back at or before the snap of the ball is BS !!!

Makes it easy on the QB…however, this is part of the failed Bend but don’t break philosophy.

4 Likes

I am sure SMU is recruiting better players, but 4th, 7th, 8th of all time?? Oh really?? That would be news to Doak Walker, Kyle Rote, Dick Hightower, Freddie Benners, Gerald Mann, Jerry Levias, John LaGrone, Eric Dickerson, Craig James, Jerry Norton, Wes Hopkins, Raymond Berry and probably about 20 other guys better than ANYONE on that SMU team now…Theyre just better coached than us…

3 Likes

I agree. It would be difficult to get a new DC next year. We will be losing 10 off of the two deep on the defense. There are some good players coming back but, I don’t yet see who replaces Carter and Oliver, and the cornerbacks. I think we will some linebackers step up. I don’t see who is going to step up on the D-Line and we better go find some corners to come in next year. And even if we find the missing parts, you still have a depth problem.

Herman recruited okay on the offensive side of the ball but not on the defensive side. We are really hurting on the defensive side; players ready to take the next step and no depth if someone does step up.

2 Likes

Shaggy and Sark are correct, it is not an attractive job. Going to have to get somebody who is out of work or take a chance on a position coach. That or hope Applewhite has some great relationship that will help us. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t change DCs, but don’t expect any home run hires. I laughed when saw somebody mentioned SMU’s DC above.

Saturday at SMU was a fail on both sides of the ball and we took big steps backwards. If we win out no one gets fired. If we get to the championship game and lose, same outcome. If we do not get to the championship and lose the bowl game, different story.

i think coach D is fired regardless… (not unless nelson was personally recruited by coach D)

applewhite is publicly protective of his staff and players and never says anything bad about them…but has extremely high standards for himself and what he wants to accomplish…the hiring of briles is a statement to that, so is the 100 grad transfer we took in …there is no way in private that he thinks this defense is okay even if we won out…

he isnt an air raid coach or that school of thought to like shootouts

2 Likes

If coach d is fired this year, expect the replacement to be a promotion from within the current staff.

I doubt it, Applewhite abandoned his own offense that he has worked on for over a decade in 1 year to go big splash hire…
he has no attachment to Orlando’s defense beyond 3 years…he will go the biggest splash hire he can get

3 Likes

As I stated before, no coach capable of making a big splash will leave a stable paycheck with the expectations of first year success or being unemployed.

I just have to think he can find a better candidate than an internal hire. I don’t think that anybody has anywhere close to the resume. Has to be a lower level G5 DC or a mid to low level P5 position coach with good credentials out there. Maybe not though. I have not done any looking.

Sam
Good points!
Here are Gibbs stats at TT
2015 Off Pace 2.91 plays per min
Def pts allow 43.6
2016 Off 2.83 ppm
Def OTs allow 43.5
2017 Off 2.61 ppm
Def OTs allow 32.2
2018 Off 2.65 ppm
Def Pts Allow 30.4
So KK has slowed down each last 4 years and Gibbs numbers improved

Last year UH ran at 2.55 plays per minute and CMD allow 23.8 pts
This year UH running at 3.10 ppm and CMD giving Up 31.7.

Phil Bennett’s 1st 2 years at Baylor his defense gave up 37.2 per game in 2011 and 2012…Offense ran at 2.78 ppm and 3.01 ppm. In 2013 he got better. Gave up 23.5 pts while offense stayed fast at 3.03 ppm…then it went up year 2014 thru 2016 when hit 29 pts again…Briles running at 3.17 ppm

This offense kills DCs!!! UH ran at highest pace ever…3.31 ppm in 2012 and gave up 36.0 pts gm

Compare to UH “slow” years…
2014 Off ppm 2.50…def pts allow 20.6
2015…2.51…20.7
2016…2.53…23.5
2017…,2.55…23.8

1 Like

We can’t know if Kingsbury slowed down and the defense improved, or if the defense improved and Kingsbury started to slow down at the end of games to kill the clock. Which was the causation?

3 Likes