Potential OC candidates

Presumably, Major has a good handle on the offense. I think he should consider going the way of Lincoln Riley and calling the offensive plays himself.

2 Likes

Drexler?

I was thinking the same thing. I know that many will criticize the idea, but I think it may be the best option.

If CKB leaves he will get a chance at playing head coach and OC. Per his ability/comfort to do both and the results he can decide in the off-season what he should do/what’s best for the team.

Major was calling the conservative plays vs. SMU. Run for no gain, run for no gain, run for no gain, punt

And of course Bill Yeoman called his own plays.

Major called the plays in 2015. We went 13-1.

If and when Kendall shows up I would assign him to administrative duties, as we did with Levine.
Then he will have all the time he needs to find another job.

3 Likes

lol. Yes, he just decided to take play calling duties away from Briles for that one game.

7 Likes

If you are referring to this year, no he did not. That has been stated on here numerous times and it was proven via interview that CKB called the plays and he was thrown off by their defense. He stated that he never saw a defensive formation like theirs before.

1 Like

Your wranglers are on too tight if you think Applewhite was calling the plays that game.

5 Likes

No he wasn’t.

1 Like

Maybe he took them off! :joy::joy::roll_eyes:

You are twisting his words. He said Major only called the conservative plays… Takes Brilliant to a whole new level even for Coogfans.

1 Like

Johnny Moxon. Ivy League guy that has a high level grasp of the oopty oop. 40 ppg minimum.

1 Like

Gotcha. So he just called the bad ones. I should have known! :thinking:

Finally somebody said it.

What about promoting Randy Clements? Isn’t he the guy that came over with Briles from FAU? He has been around the offense for a while now and might be ready for the job.

1 Like

You’re freaking joking…

Clements was not at FAU … he was coaching at a lower division school I believe

My guess is that Clements will probably call the offensive plays against Army if Kendal officially leaves … unless Kendal takes him along …

Other than Major we don’t have an OC and yes …

Clements has been in the “AB system” since Stephenville where he was an OC and HC I believe

IT WOULD BE an interesting development … for now I am not very hopeful for our chances against Army since our team could well be in turmoil without our key co-ordinators GWTW … maybe … Kendal’s leaving has not been made official … yet …

I’m all for CMA calling the plays except for the risk of it affecting his head coaching duties. If he can do it without any number of categories taking a nosedive, then sign him up! Just seems like more on his plate than he needs.

This should send our scoring average back down into the teens, but the defense will get more rest.

I’m not so sure he’ll be that conservative this time around. I think he’s learned the value in letting King take shots. Even if we’re not running the AB system, I still think he’ll be more aggressive. Especially with all the weapons we have at receiver. Our young guys are going to be game changers as well: Morgan, Thomas, Singleton, Sawyer, and Williams. Even Meyer has gotten more away from the “A-Gap zone on first down and then see how many yards we’re working with” approach. A lot of teams are going vertical and that’s what really separated AB’s system with others over the years.

I think if CMA takes the reins then that means he’s taken it personal and is going to be all in. He will surprise.

Go Coogs!

2 Likes