Pregame Thread: Temple 6pm Saturday on CBSSports

Temple is a tough bunch. We will lose this game unless the players and coaches are highly motivated and committed to playing and coaching their best. It’s important to each player and coach to prove to the fans, university, city and pollsters that last week’s performance was an anomaly, and not representative of the degree of performance we can expect the rest of the year.

4 Likes

One thing that concerns me about Temple on defense: They are one of the few teams in our conference that can get pressure on the QB without blitzing.

Watched this kid against UCF. We’re going to have a tough time with him on Saturday:

“It has been what I have been about pretty much my whole career: starting off not so fast as I want to and ending up well, playing a great game and I hope it carries over to Houston, USF and UConn,” Bryant said, listing Temple’s final three opponents.

First up is Houston (7-2, 4-1 American Athletic Conference) which hosts Temple (5-4, 4-1) in Saturday’s key game for both teams. Houston is in first place in the AAC West Division while Temple is tied for second in the AAC East. The Owls would become bowl eligible with a win.

Bryant and the Temple receivers look to have a big day against a Houston team that is last in the AAC in pass defense, allowing 326.3 yards per game.

This. I feel as if this ends up as one of those silly performances that everything goes right, and we’re back to the same narratives:

1. Give the DC more time
  2. We will run the table from here on out
2 Likes

The question is whether Temple can stop fleeting quarterback D’Eriq King, who is responsible for 42 TDs – 30 passing and 12 rushing. Houston averages more points per game (47.7) than the team that just put up 52 against Temple. If the defense finds its footing, then Temple could pull the upset. Yet the combination of last week’s loss to SMU, the expected return of Oliver, Houston’s career record against Temple (6-0) and the Owls’ showing on defense last week, leads to Houston to be the pick.

Prediction: Houston 45, Temple 40

“McKenzie was really good and I think this quarterback is faster and better with his feet, so it is definitely a challenge, and if everybody does their job and stays where they are supposed to be, we should be all right,” Temple linebacker Shaun Bradley said.

Just 5-foot-11 and 195 pounds, King provides a combination of elusiveness and speed.

“They run a lot of RPOs [run-pass options], and you have to know how to transition to a pass rush while also playing the run effectively,” Temple defensive tackle Michael Dogbe said. “A quarterback who can run like that, you have to make sure you can contain him and not make those big plays.”

Both guys pick Houston 42 Temple 28

Wow! I would take that score in a heartbeat. I just don’t think we’re going to hold them to under 35 points. I just hope the offense finds its groove again. UCF showed Temple can be scored on.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/1060607896847872000

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/1060668290261909505

“When you look back now, just about every other player in that game has been active in the NFL. It was a really star-studded group on both sides. There was so much talent,” said Thompson, who has had stints with the New York Giants and Chicago Bears. “I have a lot of memories that stick with me from playing Houston.”

1 Like

https://swcroundup.com/news/2018/11/9/houston-looks-to-rebound-vs-temple

# Beat the Formula

You can expect that Temple coach Geoff Collins watched the SMU tape and saw what Kevin Kane and the Pony defense was able to do to the most potent offense in the Country. You can also assume the Kendal Briles watched tape as well and he’s adjusting just in case Collins wants to borrow some ideas from the Mustangs.

Houston should plan on deploying some countermeasures to beat Temple and everyone else on their schedule. Whether those measures include using the middle of the field in the passing game, flooding zones, or the flying V, the Cougars must adapt to imitation.

1 Like