Put up or shut up time for Holgorsen

And this is King’s 4th OC in 4 years, along with the other 4-year players. Wazzu’s defense isn’t exactly bad either.

And they’re not exactly great either.

While I hope it isn’t the case, it will not surprise me if this team does not qualify for a bowl.

1 Like

Top ~40 in a lot of categories last year. Better than what we frequently face that’s for sure.

We have 6 new starters, how can you say he inerited a top 5 offense? He also inherited a defense that couldn’t stop a hog in a ditch – and lost its best DL, LB, and DB. But hey, never mind that many of the best players he has are mediocre, he needs to beat superior established teams in his first year.

16 Likes

King, Carr, Stevenson, Lark, Corbin, Jones, Williams, Jones are all still here. Should be every bit as good as last season. Unless you want to make me believe that it was because of Brooker, Noble, and whoever else was starting on our OL last season?

I for one am amply happy the adjustments by Coach Cauthen made with the secondary kept us ahead of a world-class passing game for a full half.

Frankly, I’m stunned he was able to rig something up with this group. They had no help from the front line but time and again they came up big.

And King is simply struggling to pass from the pocket. He’ll come around.

Many pluses in this game. Overall I’m happy with the effort on everyone’s part. Honestly I thought it would be much, much worse.

21 Likes

The Sun will come out tomorrow

3 Likes

Do we need a “suicide watch” stream on here today ? ? ? ? ?

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong I am happy that Dana is here but I haven’t seen anything yet that blows me away with his coaching acumen. I think last night was a winnable game, we didn’t win it.

3 Likes

The team played much better last night. I was encouraged.

7 Likes

Me too

This season is a throwaway. So few playmakers on the roster right now. The defense has to be the slowest we’ve had since the Helton years. Outside of King (probably) I don’t think anyone is getting drafted out of the senior class. The pass protection was not good enough and clearly they don’t trust the secondary enough to blitz.

I expect the team to be light years better next year when all of the transfers are eligible on defense. They should have a chance to win the rest of their games, but they could probably lose 5 of them too. If that’s not good enough for you well…1 month until our flagship program tips off practice.

9 Likes

Decaf brothers, comparing that 2018 Murders Row schedule to this years ain’t exactly apples to apples. Not saying Dana is Vince Lombardi but give the man a chance, he inherited a mess. Going to take a few years to restock the pantry.

As others have said about DK4, the poor kid is on OC #4 in 4 years. He’ll adjust and be fine, kid is a winner. Not trying to be a Polly as I whined for Levine and Applewhite to get chopped immediately ( both had zero business being a D1 HC ) Sure plenty of room for improvement. The defense has improved but if anyone thinks we got the beef and the depth to go heads up with Top 20 programs I got some real estate for you. If Applewhite was still here both the OU and WSU games would have been Army repeats but worse. Future is bright for the program.

15 Likes

That is true if Applejuice and his band of terrible coaches were here we would have lost by 35 points. I think this game really helped our team. They fought to the end and were the reciepant of some really bad calls. Especially on the personal foul side of out recievers being hit before the ball got to them mulitple times. Every replay went against us. I am not usually whinning over this but it just got really bad in the second half. All that said I think we were better this week than last and I know think we will win 7 or 8 games. No other team except maybe Memphis or UCF are as good as either OU or WSU. We fought to the end. With coach No D, we would have given up 60 points.

9 Likes

As a Memphis fan, I was cheering for you guys. Sorry you couldn’t pull it out. I think WSU may be better than their #20 ranking.

10 Likes

Our offense was better last year under Briles. Wish we had more productivity there. Wazzu D wasn’t very good.

1 Like

He hasn’t lost to an unranked team yet.

11 Likes

I call BS. You should go back and watch last year’s SMU game film before making such an uninformed statement. Starting with the SMU game, UH averaged less than 35 points per game and gave up nearly 50 points per game while losing 4 out of 5 games. And we lost the time of possession by a large margin which fatigued and decimated our defense.

9 Likes

Has not won a game since we beat them last year.

6 Likes