Put up or shut up time for Holgorsen

We’ve averaged 31 this year. With Prairie View on the schedule.

2 Likes

What I saw were poor referees making most of their multiple bad calls at critical times against UH.

I saw two very evenly matched teams, other than our defensive line, play a very good game. We played a ranked team very close.

The efforts and direction of the team are encouraging considering how our season ended last year. Looking forward to Tulane and conference play.

Go Coogs!

8 Likes

I agree. I’m very proud of the effort last night. I think we are building something special. Minus the penalties, it was a very entertaining game

7 Likes

That game stung but there will probably be one game left where we have to play clock management and need a high offensive output. we’re gonna be fine.

2 Likes

This is why we can’t have nice things.

5 Likes

The Troy cornerback & Alabama transfer should make this defense much better. The offense is a bit overrated to the point that this ain’t really DH recruits and what he wants to construct the offense to look like. Hopefully he brings in a good quarterback to compete for the QB spot next season.

3 Likes

alright, so make that zero respectable wins.

This. Last year’s 7-1 start was fool’s gold. We played no one decent and still lost a game. OU and WSU would have manhandled us last year even before the injuries.

4 Likes

I felt that with the “right” calls by refs, this game could have gone into OT.

2 Likes

Yesterday was his “Louisville” moment if you will, but unfortunately we couldn’t get it done. The lack of execution & discipline was slightly disheartening, but we’ve played two ranked teams really tough. I’m reserving the “put up or shut up time” talk for conference, when we’re lined up against more comparably talented teams.

2 Likes

This talk should be reserved for 2021 or 2022.

7 Likes

Agree. No one gets put up or shut up 3 games into their tenure. That’s crazy talk. We fired the last guy for a reason.

3 Likes

You keep raving about our top 5 offense last year. What did it get us? We scored 14 points on Army and gave up 70 because that top 5 offense kept the D on the field all game. You can go back to each game and point to all of our losses as being a result of the top 5 offense going 3 and out so often and putting a gassed D on the field. Last years top 5 offense would have probably put up 31 points last night – and we would have lost by about 21 to 28 points.

The problem with our team is lack of depth and lack of talent in key areas. We have a guy playing center that should be playing guard, but necessity has put him at center. We have new guys on either side of him. CDH is playing the hand he dealt and it doesn’t have 5 players from that top 5 offense and one of those returning is out of position because we don’t have anyone else to put there.

However, we are getting better with each game and I expect us to be much better by mid season and next season we should be very good. But go on and beat that “top 5 offense” drum all you want, after all this is an opinion board.

10 Likes

I think, in a lot of ways, the decisions being made within the program are being made with an eye toward next year and beyond. And we need to embrace that. We all know that we have a killer defensive practice squad while the D on the field is physically outmatched. We also know that last year’s D was anchored by the best defensive player the school has seen in almost 30 years. That was a gift to Major, and not a demerit to Dana’s coaching. We also know that Dana desires to redshirt some guys to help us mature. I don’t think Dana is operating with a “win now at all costs” mentality. And frankly, I’m glad. I’m glad that, for the first time in my 20 years as a Coog, we have a coach that desires to be here longer than 2 years. I’m glad we have a coach that is aiming at something bigger in the years ahead than pulling out all the stops to get 10 wins now and move on to a P5 program. I’m thankful that winning conference championships and building a program for realignment mean something to our coach. So, I’m not nearly so upset that he’s not going to reorient the whole offense around current personnel. I’m not upset that he didn’t throw the whole playbook on OU. I’m not upset that he’s stocking the cabinet for the years to come. Even if he bombs (which he won’t), he’s not setting us up to get burned like Briles, Sumlin, and Herman…and he’s not operating with the administrative ineptitude of the others. I think he’s playing the long game and being judged against the coaches who were looking to win 10 and bounce. And if we say we want a coach to play the long game, we have to be willing judge him accordingly.

14 Likes

You forget that King wasn’t there for Army? I have no clue why you keep bringing up the Army game as a barometer for our offense last year. What a silly post.

OK, forget Army, our top 5 offense last year beat only one team with a winning record, 7-5 USF who didn’t win another game since. The rest of my statement holds true, our top 5 offense was a misleading and irrevelant stat. But, I know it’s your schtick, so hold on to it. BTW, that was last year and this is this year.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Dana is holding back alot. He has been in this business a long time and a smart man. He knows if his team finished with a 1 or 2 loss season expectations would be much higher for next year.

Do I agree with the tactics of not playing the best players and “save for later” approach? Of course not. But it is what it is.

1 Like

We had a terrible defense last year. Maybe that was part of the reason we were bad, maybe?

Now, this season. We have an average to below average defense. And we now get to couple that with an average to below average offense. What a hell of a combo we have going.

Jo, it looks like you’re in for a long bitter season.

7 Likes

Holgs is going to be fine. I feel a hell of alot better @ the team than I did with apple white.

6 Likes