QB depth after this signing

His progressions were outstandung against a tough team like BYU when he had more time. As our OL play went into the toilet as the year progressed Tune’s performances degraded. The key to our offense getting better and moving up the national rankings is our OL play and its depth that comes to play over the course of the season.

Plus look at all the experience he’ll have coming into his RS Jr year. Also, the better D becomes the faster Dana will allow the O to go with faster tempo which seems to work better for Tune and the O this past year.

If you say so.

What you’re seeing doesn’t match what I saw

The offensive scheme needs a makeover for us to put up more points on the board. Yes, having better offensive linemen will definitely help, especially with the running game, but upgrading the quarterback position is only part of the solution

Drew, do you think Patrick Mahomes is a good QB? Have you seen how he looked against Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl? With the 2 starting offensive tackles out, the TB defense has him running for his life. It all starts up front, when you don’t have time to throw and you have to rush your passes, if you want to get them off at all, your risk of incompletion or turnover is high. There are many here that want to disregard that reality. It doesn’t matter much what your scheme is, if your OL can’t block for it.

4 Likes

Thats fine, I don’t make any money from my football opinion. But I’m convinced our limted OL depth last year and poor OL play impacted Tune’s abilities to make that offense better.

2 Likes

Bingo Red!

Tony Romo just supported your position. The OL sucks, the QB will reflect the OL play.

bogus roughing call on TB dline.

i have 2 takes for the “blaming the Oline” folks…

1. i dont know what standard you are comping our Oline to, but to the average Houston oline, i did not think the oline was that bad, we were middle of the pack conference wise in sacks allowed and qb hurries per game, and if your remove the hawaii game we’d be top 4 in the conference in both those categories (hawaii blitzed 6 or 7 almost every play)… were we elite? no…but are houston oline ever elite? no…i actually think the OLine was better than some of the ward/keenum olines…we’ve won with this level of oline before

2. ive read alot about how the Oline is getting better next year…if the oline was that bad, what is your reasoning for it being that much better next season?..3 of the 4 senior oline have decided that arent taking advantage of the extra year and leaving… we’ve only added 1 touted oline-- he is a center, we already have a 2 year starting center returning (center wasnt a need)… where is this big improvement coming from?

if oline is the issue, then tune isnt your guy because theres no on paper reasoning for drastic improvement…i dont think oline was the issue
also sidenote: texas tech had worse sacks allowed, and qb hurries than we did. mahomes had a worse oline than we did …

We are far from done as far as adding players…and we have a lot more than 1 change to OL next year…Our BEST OL Patrick Paul, didnt even play last year, after being injured in first game… Also Tank Jenkins, very good transfer from Texas A&M, will be here next year. Then the Russey kid from La Tech. All 3 will start and thats 3 improved players for OL, not 1. And i expect us to add at least 1 more quality transfer who plays OT…This will NOT be the same OL that played last year…It is reasonable to assume OL will be better than last year. .Just HOW better will tell the tale.

3 Likes

when did patrick paul become our best oline??? the freshman with 5 total games under his belt, and was low 3star (ps was injured 2nd game not the 1st)…im not saying he isnt a good player but that is a stretch by ever measure possible…tank jenkins was deep bench on a bad a&m, has never played 1 down of college football, and hasnt played regulated football in almost 4 years
also i referenced russey in my post …but russey plays center…we already have a 2 year starting center in freeman… it doesnt address this teams needs

losing 3 senior oline (including a all-conference, 5 year starter in braylon jones-our actual best oline), removing the burning red cougar glasses you cant honestly argue “much improved oline”…as of today (not accounting for future additions) it looks worse…

We did have a bad OL and anyone on the team will tell you Paul was by far our best tackle prospect before this season. Star rating is irrelevant once they start playing at the next level.
Russey is a massive upgrade in the middle of the line and gives us more flexibility and depth.
We still need more depth a day least one more piece at the top of our chain.

Tune showed great promise early but his back breaking mental mistakes need to stop. As the OL broke down and got worse so did the play of the offense and Tune. I can still see him going either direction.
I wish I had more faith in Holgorsen running the offense so I hope he changes my mind next season.

“prospect” is one thing, he was starting as a freshman, who knows what he’ll be as a senior… but to say he was our best (as in now) is silly …and you are drinking the red koolaid (its almost disrespectful to braylon)…and paul has 4 full games under his belt, 2 of which were horrible performances by us… its not like he has earned his badge of honor on the field

our OL “was bad”, yet all the stats how it was one of the best in conference games, the film shows it wasnt that bad… i dont think our line was the greatest… i think it was about par for what houston has produced for the last 2 decades … this oline was better than wards OLine on our 13 win season that had somethin like 9 different starting rotation by seasons end
https://twitter.com/OwlScoop_com/status/673184874623143936
https://twitter.com/bet2020s/status/772126520240373760
https://twitter.com/aturko_23/status/677880635969568770

and before any more silliness comes out about paul being our best oline…lets back it up with stats
PFF grades o-line on performance
this is what they had to say about braylon in an article a few weeks ago

“He has the second-best pass-blocking grade in the FBS when lined up at right guard this year, with just two pressures allowed on 139 pass-blocking snaps.”

The silliness is you always trying to justify your stance and acting as though you are an expert.

I will go by what those very close to the program say over your opinions. We didn’t finish the season with a legitimate D1 OL.
I never said Paul was our best but now that you mention it, he very well may have been had he not been injured. While that is good for him it is not so much for the team.

Now you can continue your back and fourth with rest.

4 Likes

It was pretty obvious that our OL was the weakest link on the team this past year’s team with Tune having more time early in the season versus later. It was difficult to get a pocket formed and hold it with limited time to make a play. Todd Graham bragged about his D owned the line and was the more physical team. He was talking about his Ds play against our OL play. Our OL was so slow to get out and block for those sideline passes that DBs and LBs easily beat them to the sidelines to snuff out those plays without the blockers. Dana talked many of times after an L about how it all starts up front with the line. Posters on this board posted all the holes with OL recruits.

It was pretty obvious that after Patrick Paul went down at left tackle after two games we were in trouble and our OL play appeared to degrade throughout the season. Dana openly talked about our OL play carefully after the UC game where we got blown out and were physically manhandled on the OL.

we all have people close to the program… and the ones i talk to are telling me the exact opposite of what you ar saying.
the people i talked too says the belief of this staff was that this team was really good but the ball didnt bounce our way. ps im not buying that, just stating what i was told, there was no belief of a overtly weak oline… the horrible oline narrative is something that is mostly only talked about here as an excuse for tune…

@snowskier thats selective memory on the UC post game, he said the same thing about the Dline, that both the oline and dline were manhnadled , and referenced it for that game only …his point was about us not being ready for team of UC’s level

and a random sidenote- i was googling the quote froms holgs preseason talking about how this was the deepest we’ve been at OLine…i accidently stumbled onto a different link about how paul had been struggling and how almost all the penalties on the Oline were from him prior to his injury (had 3 in the byu game, a game he didnt even finish)

We will know this year. If you look at our schedule there isn’t a game we can’t win. We get Navy, SMU and Memphis at home and our cross over games are ECU (ugghhh I hope they watched the basketball game), Temple and USF.

The non conference of Tech, Rice and Grambling, all in the city of Houston and all very winnable.

The schedule is there for a real breakout season.

We will see how hard they work in the offseason and how much they improve. With that schedule, we should be in the AAC championship game with a pretty darn good record. If we are not, I think serious questions can start to be asked. As of now, with the redshirt season and the Covid season, the jury is still out.

But it won’t be out after next season, the 11 members of the schedule will have delivered a verdict.

I too hope UH will have a break-out season this year. However, to say that UH should play in the conference championship game this year (or really any year) is quite optimistic and no different than what many folks on the Big12 fan boards at OU & OSU & ISU & KSU & TCU & UT will ALL be saying. Heck, they’ll be saying the same thing on at least half of the fan boards of other teams in the AAC.

Reminder to self: How often has UH made it to the AAC conference championship game? I’ll have to look that up. I do recall that we were so very lucky that the Memphis kicker missed his game winning FG attempt at TDECU back in 2015 that allowed UH to be able to host the AAC championship game that year.

If we have the best facilities (which we do) and we have one of the best recruiting bases (which we do) and the the administration is highly supportive of the program (which it is) and we pay a coach the highest salary in the conference (which we do) … then yes we should have the expectation of playing in the conference championship every year. We are going into our ninth year in the AAC and we have one conference championship. We are really underperforming given our advantages.

4 Likes

In the nine years we have been in the AAc we have had 4 head coaches. We’re lucky the team knows the coach’s name.

4 Likes