QB depth after this signing

I cant remember either. Its either Dana Applewhite or Tony Herman.

The play calling gets a lot of the credit for the line looking average in the stats. I think the transfer center will have a big impact because the biggest issues with our line were missed assignments and mistakes. We shouldn’t ever have a game where there are 3 times a defender comes untouched directly through the center of the line when only 4 are rushing. As you pointed out, we sucked against the blitz as well. So many missed assignments on blitzes.

1 Like

There is no doubt in my mind having 4 coaches in 9 years has hurt. Only one left on his own accord, so we definitely have most of the blame.

Dana is on year 3. He should be winning this year and winning big.

I hope he does win big because if he doesn’t work out the next coach will use “Dana didn’t recruit enough high school kids” to explain his bad first 3 years. We will have become the AAC version of UT. All the toys and none of the performance.

I would suggest to page through the 1st 2 games and do the same for UC and Hawaii. The games are found online. It is pretty noticeable the pocket protection and line play degreaded after BYU. When former Coog OL players point to the weak OL play I’lll listen to them along with seeing what my eyes are telling me.

Not sure what your arguiing about, that our OL play was average or good. Most will beg to differ.

The gaps in our recruiting OL depth has been proved on our boards many times. Very diffult to look at our OL recruits going back 6 years and seeing the low numbers and see who was contributing in 2020 and its quite clear.

1 Like

Mike, I’m not arguing the offensive line wasn’t an issue. It clearly was, and it definitely impacted Tune’s performances. Im suggesting that was only part of the problem. The playcalling and offensive scheme was way too conservative and lacked creativity in my opinion. This made the offense predictable and easy to defend. How many times did Tune go to the well and throw the ball 30-40 yards deep on the down and out route when all he needed was 2-3 yards? The play calling was atrocious at times, and it consistently led to stalled drives. The entire purpose of running a spread offense is to get the skilled players in open space so they can make plays. Problem was, Tune rarely got the ball in their hands. That’s not on Tune or the o-line. That on the OC.

I will call bs on that but you keep spitting it out.
The line flat out was not D1 caliber. A step above bad in pass protection and abysmal in the running game.

2 Likes

those are the 2 worst games by our oline… thats like picking the worst of the worst performances by someone and using it to define them… remove those 2 games and the oline actually played really well… cincy just manhandled us, im just going to chop that up to playing a top 10 team…

if you can i want to re-watch the hawaii game
and heres how i feel about the hawaii game, most here are blaming the OL for tunes stats/play… when i watched the hawaii game, the oline stats were terrible but i think it was tune’s fault (or play caller)…

hawaii was bringing 6/7 each play and tune was holding the ball too long…and our OLine didnt hold –
example this is the worst example of which: they line up 7 to blitz but we only had 6 playing pass protection, the oline could have handled this play better, but we had a long developing play against the blitz

we actually made some pretty good second half adjustments

another example gif you can click on:

the oline played an excellent 2nd half…then we had 3 sacks and an INT the end of the game…all of them were on tune…we were down 2 tds and he kept trying to get it back in 1 play

the gif here ended up in an INT, not sure how you blame the oline (gif can only be a few seconds/ he had a clean 4 seconds prior to the start of the gif)

this was the 4th and 6 sack that sealed the game- not only does tune hold the ball too long, he run to the side of the pressure… pocket presence to have gone right would have given him way more time

the oline didnt have a good game vs hawaii but tune played a big part in that play…season wide i think our oline was fine (for the houston standard)

Tune is a big problem.

That is why Spring Ball will be so good for the team.

Serious talent to push Tune.

also im not arguing the oline is great or anything… im saying our OLine is about par to what we’ve had for the last 20 years…the north east produces Top Tier Oline, you dont get s much in texas, the few we get go to the p5…we are in 7 on 7country (we get tons of skill players not oline)

people were complaining about our oline too for okorn, for postma, for allen…we complain about the offensive line everytime our offense struggles by fans of whoever said qb are…and then we switch qbs and for some reason the Oline is no longer an issue

here are popular houston analysts talking about how bad our OLine was with okorn…the EXACT same oline that would then go 18-3 the exact moment we switched to ward

https://twitter.com/jharrisfootball/status/505745452814188544

https://twitter.com/InsideTFsHead/status/510292208348450816

Are you referring to @nwcougar’s post? If so,

The Toad said as much after the bowl game. Dana Holgorsen got thoroughly outcoached by the Toad. Everyone really needs to let that sink in.

Our play calling is not stellar.

And baffling given Dana’s long history as an OC.

You guys are hilarious. On paper Kopp is only .0032 points better than Tune coming out of HS. Whether you believe in the Easter Bunny that is 247 sports rankings or not, there isn’t any serious talent to push Tune anywhere by any metric when none of them behind him have taken any D1 snaps.

Here’s how it’s gonna go…Tune starts, Massoud and Kopp both sit. You can bank on that.

2 Likes

note ive never thought the freshmen were beating out tune…my opinion is to beef up the qb room with some transfers .and let the best man win even if its tune …

side note its funny to me how you can see the logic in the qb room but not the OLine room, you liked a ton of posts about our OLine being better next year, when the logic behind our oline next year being “drastically better” is essentially using the same logic that the freshman are better than tune…losing 3 multiyear starters and adding a bunch of players with almost no experience will somehow make our oline better???

Pesik you seem burnt up about posts I wasn’t responding to you about. Notice who I quoted.

When I like posts I don’t necessarily agree with everything verbatim. Ask next time before assuming. You’re backwards,once again.

you wrote “you guys” and im the only other one here on that opinion

Lol short sighted again!!! You guys is applicable to anyone who is so entrenched in 247 they can’t see the forest for the trees. That was your opportunity to ask “what did you mean by you guys”…but you blew it.

1 Like

When he had a better OL at Michigan, he sucked even more.

2 Likes

No Cary, not your post

Be careful or he’ll tell you there is no NO WAY you went to UH. #ItIsWhatItIs

Does this include all of the high snaps causing Tune to waste time trying to catch the ball instead of looking for receivers down field ? ? ? ? ?

3 Likes