Quarterback situation/controversy

TRUE! We need that kid whether King stays or not.

1 Like

Reading too much into this. His Dad , said he is gonzo. He is gone .

2 Likes

To be fair, I think Thammel was just agitating…saying he thinks he will based on things all of us have heard.

Wow. My optimism for him staying was largely based on thinking he was going to graduate in May rather than December and that it wouldn’t make sense to go somewhere else over the summer rather than start here. Either way I am happy for him and anyone else for getting their degree.

You are right though. This means we’ll know one way or the other very soon. If January rolls around and he’s not in the portal we should be pretty certain he’s planning to stay.

2 Likes

Holcombe from KState?
He’s from Summer Creek (Humble), so that would make sense.

Will King graduate this spring? If not then how could he transfer? He would have to sit out and that would burn his last year of being eligible.

His twitter confirmed graduation this month so there’s that…

1 Like

I’m honestly tired of this subject and do not think that King returning or not will not affect UH football’s future.

6 Likes

King graduates this month on December 14th.

He did not as far as we know. This was the only quote, you can take what you want from it: “It’s the best decision for him at this point. Very, very tough (decision). He’s got a lot of teammates riding on him. Sometimes you got to be a little self-centered & do what’s best for u”. Seems like Berman would have been able to get one quote with Eric King actually mentioning transferring. So yeah, bad reporting and possibly inaccurate.

If he graduates December 14th and is leaving, then he will most likely be putting his name in the portal this week.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1176210062928502786?s=19

That is what I copied and pasted… Like I said, poor reporting. We don’t even know if his dad knew what was going on. No context to anything in the conversation.

1 Like

Why do you say it’s poor reporting? Eric never disputed Berman’s account. What question from Berman do you think that answer came from?

To add, does Berman really need to put “I asked Eric King if his son is transferring and he said “Yes”” to break news on Twitter? Are you at all familiar with the medium?

The tweet adds the first part to provide the entire context. My guess is Berman asked if he was planning to transfer and that was the response.

Berman said he confirmed that he was transferring. I’d be shocked if Berman was BS’ing or guessing here.

Remind me, please. Was this statement before or after the presser where D’Eriq said pretty convincingly that he was staying?

1 Like

I’m guessing this is rhetorical but I’ll answer anyway. Before.

Here’s an article from Duarte mentioning Eric’s statement to ESPN that they would evaluate all options at the end of the Season while D’eriq said he’s absolutely coming back.

His dad and him were pretty clearly not on the same page.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/amp/The-chain-of-events-leading-UH-s-D-Eriq-King-14465614.php

You’re right, he fell right in line with the BS Twitter reporting of today. We shouldn’t be filling in blanks from a guy whose full time job is to report on things like this. Why just one quote? Why did he not get more specifics? And yes, if Berman asked Eric King if his son was transferring and the response was “yes”, then I sure as hell would want to know that. I guess I just have higher standards. Especially when the breaking news ended up being wrong.

Berman usually does much better with multiple quotes and good sources.

1 Like

Yeah, at the time that was my reasoning for being skeptical of the reporting. How was it both “he is transferring” and “we will evaluate all options”?

Because he probably reported what he was told. Twitter gives you 280 characters. The quote about the motivation is more worthwhile than wasting 100 characters transcribing a question that ends with “yes” in word for word detail. I’m sure it’s happened but I can’t really recall a journalist using Twitter like that.