Quarterback situation/controversy

To be honest, when this first came up early in the season, I was inclined to believe that King’s “redshirting” was really just designed to be a polite cover for his BENCHING.

A benching that resulted from King being, for whatever reason (injury or otherwise), NOT the QB that we remember from 2018.

But perhaps I was wrong. I guess everybody has their own goofball theory about what’s going on.

We’ll see!

7 Likes

Butch,

Fair enough. Your last question first, I was upset when Simms transferred, but I was not mad at him. I will never be mad at somebody for doing what they think is best for them. It’s about him, not me.

For the rest of your post, yes…somebody is lying or just wrong. I don’t know if it’s Holgerson, King, or his dad. My guess is that King’s dad was speaking out of turn.

The press conference made me feel like it was a team decision, not just a King decision. Of course, that was probably the goal of the press conference.

I would love to see King come back next year and perform the way he did in 2018. If he doesn’t, good luck to him. Just like Simms, he will always be a Cougar in my eyes.

I see all the comments about the O-line, but I’m wondering what about the last 6 years makes anyone think our O-line will be any better next year?

1 Like

Did Bryson Smith play yesterday ?

Agree, I was upset when Simms left, especially since was being promoted heavily by UH on billboards all around town. But in his eyes it was the best, so I eventually was okay with it. I will feel the same about King because he may feel his talents fit a different offense…

I didn’t see him and was asking my son the same thing…perhaps he is injured?

He’s been injured

1 Like

It did seem like King excelled better in that up-tempo offense but if he plans to be a QB in the NFL, he needs to learn different offensive schemes. This is what I think CDH is trying to teach him.

I don’t think there are any NFL teams that are purely up-tempo. They will use it when needed.

I didn’t like some of what I saw coaching-wise this year, but I remind myself that over the prior 3 years WVU had a better B12 conference record than every team other than OU under his watch. I DID really like that our guys generally never seemed to quit on the season.

The fans will come back if we win. Simple as that. In an alternate reality where we don’t blow the Tulane game, King and Corbin don’t redshirt, and we win 6 or 7 games I’m not sure attendance is drastically different for the first couple of games next year, especially if King really is coming back to build enthusiasm for next season.

1 Like

I have no reason not to believe King, he will be back next year. A redshirt year for Tune would do wonders and put him in position to be the starter in two years. With King we’re in the running for the conference title, without him who knows…

No, he didn’t. He answered a poorly worded and unclear question with “Sometimes you have to do what is best for you.” He never said anything about transferring. He probably had no idea what was going on.

If King is leaving, we will know in the next couple weeks. His spring classes will be paid for and he would have no reason to not put his name in the portal to see all options if his plan is to transfer. Unless its a guarantee from LSU (maybe OU) he will be the starter, I don’t see any situations better than staying here. Even then, with those programs you lose a couple games and he will be sitting on the bench or running routes for the rest of the season.

3 Likes

I hadn’t really given a transfer QB much thought. If King decides to leave it may be what CDH decides to do though. I don’t think there’s any doubt he wants to get Tune a redshirt year, and if he thinks another player can come in and at least give us what Tune would it’s not a bad idea. I would assume this would be a grad transfer with one year of eligibility and Tune being the plan starting in 2021.

Never know what some of the high school guys coming in could do but CDH seems to think very highly of Tune.

As I give it more thought, it does make more sense that King plans to return. Here is my logic:

1. if King gave any indication he was not coming back, Dana seems like the type that would boot him from the team: no practice, no S&C work, etc.

2. if King was scheming to fool UH so he could continue to work out and practice for his next stop, don’t you think Dana has been around long enough to figure this out (and then see #1)?

3. if there was any chance that King pulled himself out of the season to save himself for his next stop, Dana doesn’t seem like the type to play along and even cover for him by saying Dana approached King about the strategy. If King quit on the team, Dana seems like he is the type to roll on him and make sure everyone knew it was not the coach’s decision.

That being said, PLANNING to come back does not guarantee he will be back but none of Dana’s handling of the situation gives me the feeling King plans to leave.

What an off-season wait this will be…maybe some conference realignment rumors will surface!

2 Likes

Keep an eye on news about a pretty good QB from Kansas ST who is interested in being a transfer to Houston. If we do not bring him in, it could be a strong clue that King is returning. If we get him, a clue that King intends to leave.

5 Likes

That was my thought as well. Remember Dana said he gave King his options and King chose to redshirt.

As for Charles Sims (Kenneth Simms played DE for UT) leaving, I was disappointed, but not angry. He will always be a Cougar because he graduated here and fulfilled his obligation. The same would be the situation with King.

As for Holgorsen’s coaching this season, I was disappointed with the outcome, but understood why. I think he may have done one of his better coaching jobs to keep our guys competing the way they did and I could see improvement every week. Sometimes a loss will overshadow the improvement, but even when we had to juggle the roster every week due to injuries, I could see guys playing better and hanging tougher.

3 Likes

Unless you are saying Berman didn’t accurately report it, his dad did say he would transfer. Then D’eriq said that’s not accurate. Even after everyone seemed to have their accounts aligned about DK planning to return his dad said something along the lines of D’eriq would evaluate his options, including staying at UH. His dad seemed to want him to leave but it’s ultimately DK’s decision.

Thamel said he’s gone a couple of weeks ago. But he has an axe to grind with our program via Herman so I’m not putting too much into that.

This isn’t to you personally Mike but so is every QB at UH in the CFP era. “The O line stinks” is not a valid excuse for poor QB play at UH, it just isn’t. Our O line is never good. Our O line is never healthy. Welcome to Houston.

1 Like

looks like we will find out sooner than later
https://twitter.com/DeriqKing_/status/1201279723713814529

no need for him to hide his intentions anymore or not be in the portal if he wants to leave…
if he stayys committed we’ll know he wants to stay

9 Likes

I think you are correct that if King leaves, it adds extra urgency to adding a QB.
But I expect us to try to get a transfer QB regardless of King leaving.
Bottom line, we need bodies in the QB room.
For 2020, we are set to have 3 scholarship QBs if King stays, and only 2 if he leaves.
Need to get to 4 to get this roster fixed.

Graduation dec 14, he gone. If he stays for January workouts then I agree he will be back, but I bet he announces his intentions after graduation

1 Like