Question for the fire the coaches group

For some people on this board, our lack of success this year is on the coaches. Fire Dana! Fire the DC! Pitchforks are running low at Home Depot. I want to reference Tune’s 68 yard TD run. Was this play a result of:

A) good coaching by UH?
B) a good play by a talented athlete?
C) missed tackles by Memphis?
D) bad coaching by Memphis?

1 Like

A) Definitely not. This only happens by our opponents and Bill Yeoman.
B) Definitely not. Our coaches can’t recruit talented athletes.
C) Definitely not. Players who are well coached never miss tackles. (See A.)
D) Definitely not. This only happens by opposing coaches when we win.

6 Likes

When reading some of the anti-coach comments on here, I am reminded that the Mickey Mouse Club still has quite a few members that reside outside the gates of Disney-World and Disney-Land.

Do you remember the days of… M-I-C (see you real soon) K-E-Y (why, because we love you) M-O-U-S-E —> Mickey Mouse… Well, it seems some misaligned Houston Mouse Club fans are now singing something more like this:

F-I-R (are you ready) T-H-E (eee gad) C-O-A-C-H. —> Fire the Coach…

1 Like

We rocked at the beginning of the game, including tune’s touchdown.

Until memphis’ coaches earned their salary and adjusted. The rest is history.

5 Likes

Sir I’d like to direct you to the case of Blind Squirrel v. Nuts

We got lucky it got broke, plain and simple. It’s was a good play call and Memphis was caught flat footed and took bad angles and missed tackles.

But bringing up this TD after the thoroughness of having our ass kicked. It’s telling Mrs.Lincoln about that awesome 1st act.

2 Likes

Two things…

1. I don’t see anyone saying Holgorsen should be fired this year, and that includes me.

2. Individual plays are just that, individual.

Coaching, IMO, is judged more on the ability of the team to move through game states (clock management, when and where to go for it on 4th down, ability to come from behind, playing for four quarters), overall preparation for a game, improvement throughout a season, sound fundamentals, recruiting good players in needed areas, etc.

This coaching staff so far is hitting on only one or two of those areas, but there is no doubt Holgorsen will have multiple years to try and get it right.

2 Likes

I didn’t really notice that. Did the Memphis coaches adjust their waist bands & belts, or were they wearing stretch pants & simply sucked in their stomachs?

What I did notice was that 4 freshmen UH offensive linemen seemed to wear down after playing about 20 minutes against the stronger, more mature and more experienced defensive players on the Memphis FB team.

6 Likes

So you’re saying it’s conditioning. Another problem with coaching.

1 Like

No, it was the same problem that men’s hoops team had playing against BYU - it’s 18-19 year old freshmen playing against 21-23 year old juniors/seniors.

Just as CKS couldn’t be expected to win in his first year with such an incomplete team, neither can CDH be expected to win in his first year. Also, now that we’ve seen what CKS can do, we should all be looking forward to seeing what CDH can do in the next 2-3 years.

5 Likes

Except that someone just posted that even cdh admitted the team ran out of gas.

C’mon Moncoog, using your logic, it seems the Katy High School FB team should be able to beat the Houston Texans. That’s if the Katy HS coaches simply take the Katy HS players by their local Exxon station on their way to the game so they don’t run out of gas - is that how it works? Or, does the age difference and physical maturity of the FB players play a role in the outcome of a game?

4 Likes

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again.

Every new coach is entitled to ONE “freebie” bad season when he first arrives.

But NEXT season…we’d better see some results.

5 Likes

I’m on board with that. Not that we have any choice. But next year winning some equivalent of the west is a must.

Everyone here knows that is not what he is saying and only a moron would say that is the logic he is presenting. These kids are all in the same age range, similar experience, and more often than not, parallel athletic ability.

If a couple of years of experience is the end all/be all, then how did Memphis’s true freshman RB run for a hundred yards on us? How is that possible when he is going against more experienced defenders?

It is the same way any freshman does it - good athleticism and good coaching.

1 Like

It’s all about expectations. Some folks expected an established coach to immediately take our program to a 10 win season. That would have been cool, but it’s apparent that we didn’t have to necessary tools for that.

Others expected him to improve on last year’s record while building for future success. That also would have been cool; however, DH made the determination that this wasn’t the best path to success.

I think the administration expected him to reconstruct the program for sustained success, if needed. This is where we are, and my expectation now is that the payoff starts to reveal itself next year.

The real proof will be in years 3-5, though. Can we return to winning and stay there?

3 Likes

Pretty sure there is a reason why CDH said playing true freshman on the oline is not something coaches look to do.

The current season is due to three lost recruiting seasons due to coaching changes. The talent is simply not there in numbers to win the AAC. By forcing all the redshirts we have in effect added another recruiting season.

The guys we had committed in Herman’s final season that decommitted are really good players who are contributing to their current schools. If we had them…

We have facilities. We have a recruiting base. We have a good conference. We NOW have a committed experienced coaching staff. We will be back next year and beyond.

7 Likes

That has consistently been the story in almost all of our games this season. So although I’m not in the fire the coaches camp, I have to say that is attributed to the coaching this season. Perhaps the talent infusion will help change that next season? We shall see.

A quick look at the Memphis roster shows they had 4 seniors and 8 juniors on their Defensive Line while UH was starting 4 freshman on our offensive line. Are you really trying to claim that Memphis’ 12 juniors & seniors that play on their D-Line are all in the “same age range” with “similar experience” as the 4 freshmen that played on the Houston’s O-Line?

3 Likes

Rockne, Lombardi and Belichick wouldn’t win with this years team…you can thank Herman and Applewhite 100% for the current situation. CDH inherited a program that had hit the rocks whether we want to admit that or not…it’s the cold hard truth. NO ONE could turn this thing around overnight…BUT…i still think the future and potential for the program is outstanding, just going to have to take some lumps for awhile is all.

2 Likes