Recruiting discussion: "Diamonds in the Rough"

I don’t always agree with Shaggylives, but I agree on this one. I don’t know if it has gotten better but I remember a stat from a few years ago that showed 50% of 5 stars not doing much in college. Either way, contrary to what they would like us believe, there is no drop from P5 to the AAC other than a few elite teams, and I am not sure about that. If a kid could not make it where he was, most likely he will not be that great here either. Much rather have a stud JC player than a 5 star transfer. We have seen it play out several times now.

Actually I can when I see freshmen and sophomores leading teams to an invitational championship game and winning the invitational game. Yep I am talking about Alabama.

Before you hit me with the but we are not Alabama crap, answer me this, who is getting all the preseason accolades. A senior center who was not recruited by Herman and a junior defensive lineman who was coming here regardless because his father told him he was going to school with his older brother. So I am waiting to see where Herman’s higher ranked recruits are making a big difference.

1 Like

If you’re talking about Will Noble, he signed in Herman’s first class although I think he was committed before Herman was hired. AAC preseason list below:

Will Noble - Herman but first committed to Levine
Ed Oliver - Herman but special circumstance as mentioned
Josh Jones - Herman
Jerard Carter - Levine
Deontay Anderson - Applewhite
Isaiah Chambers - Applewhite
Emeke Egbule - Herman but first committed to Levine
Garrett Davis - Levine
Caden Novikoff - Applewhite
Dane Roy - Herman

Yeah forget the “Alabama” argument after bring up Alabama for comparison right?

Based on ESPNs rankings
Tug ranked 57th 2017
Najee ranked 11th 2017
Mack ranked 34th 2016

These the ones you were referring to? Alabama recruited 15 top 50 players in the nation the last two years and several of them were starters and making an impact by the second half of the season. I think you will find of our top 15 recruited players the last two years, we had just as many starting by the second half of the season.

That isn’t even to mention, 2015 Tom had two weeks between the national championship game and signing day. 2017 he took a few of his top recruits with him and a couple of other schools scavenged other top recruits. 2016 was Tom’s only full recruiting class.

In order of ESPN ranking
Ed Oliver - projected top 5 NFL pick
Naty Rogers (JC) - started every game
D’Eriq King - starting QB once healthy
Courtney Lark - 4 of last 5 games
Mulbah Car - second leading rusher

others of note
Keith Corbin - played in 11 games/started 5
Terrell Williams (JC) - started 12 games
Keenan Murphy - played in 2 games
Terry Mark - played in 12 games
Aymiel Fleming - played in 11 games
Ka’Darian Smith - played in 10 games
Braylon Jones - started 12 games
Alex Leslie - played in 12 games, started 6

Injured:
Marquez Stevenson
Collin Wilder - played two games, injured … now transferring out.

Not sure if Allen and Catalon transfers counted against 2016 class so not including them.

What percent of our projected starters for 2018 are from Herman’s only full recruiting class of 2016?

I dispute that 50% of 5 stars don’t pan out and counter that 4 and 5 Star players make more of an impact on a team than lower starred players.

Yes we got Keenum but I’m pretty sure that 4 and 5 Star players would keep us in the top of the country, not just the conference, more consistently than a diamond in the rough every few years. Unless you’re a bad coach and mishandle the 5 Star players you land.

The ones who are 5 stars and play like 5 stars definitely make an impact. Just saying 4 to 5 out of 10 every year or just another average college football player or less.

That I’ll agree with you to a point. But considering 50% of 5 star players go on to the NFL, having a roster of 5 stars is better than 2 stars from whom you hope to get a diamond.

A higher percentage of 5 stars are successful vs. 4 star and on down the line. There are no guarantees in anything but your odds of success go up with higher ranked classes. That said, coaching, culture, and scheme matter and there are some great recruiters that kill it in that area but fail overall.

A few years old, but 44% of 5 stars were taken in the NFL draft. I’d guess most of those did something in college. Considering others don’t have the standard college career (injuries, grades, in jail), that would be about 50% getting drafted. Dont know the actual numbers, but its a safe bet <10% of 2 and 3 stars get drafted. Heck, Case wasn’t drafted with all he accomplished. So i want to know the definition of not doing much in college is

This is from the 2015 draft.

1 Like

applewhites inability to recruit touted guys out of high school was bothersome at first to me too
im not saying we needed to get all 5stars/4stars…but 3 or 4 in a 25 player class isnt asking for too much…but we havent even been able to pull one under applewhite or really even close at all

but now im of a mindset that talent is talent…and we seem to be raiding the transfer market quite welll…
getting 19-20 “diamond in the rough” players out of high school and 5-6 highly touted transfers is fine with me…we dont get a cookie if they are straight out of high school

Well that is where the debate got rolling though. There is a big difference between a transfer that is highly touted because of what they did at the previous school and a transfer that was highly touted before they went to that school. We should also be clear that if Herman doesn’t get credit for Ed because of Marcus, Applewhite doesn’t get credit for Terence Williams because of Briles.

1 Like

Yes he does. Applewhite hired Briles, Vermin didn’t sign Marcus.

but he hired Applewhite …

Here are some interesting numbers. According to 24/7 there are 34 5* and 339 4* high school players in the 2019 class. That is a combined total of 373 players. There are 130 FBS schools and 65 of them are P5. Each P5 team will be signing around 20 players or a total of 1300 players. If every single 4 and 5 star players sign with P5 teams then the P5 teams still need 927 3* players to fill out their rosters.

Also, the relationships with Anderson and Chambers were originally built when Herman was here. I’m betting that helped Applewhite land them as transfers. A HS teammate for Anderson likely played a role too.

1 Like

Just to be clear, before it becomes a thing that I like Herman. I wish UT nothing but failure. When Herman was here, I believe his bullshit brought in our best recuiting class though. I also believe his success at UH was mostly due to Orlando’s mix of bend but don’t break defense with enough talent on defense to make big plays against big teams. I think if Herman loses Orlando, Herman’s record will end up no better than who he replaced.

1 Like

Wow, didn’t know that Wilder transferred to Wisconsin. That’s a bummer.

It’s like not wanting students with high SAT scores enrolling at UH. The top SAT score high school grads do better than the next rung vs. the next rung, etc. etc.

I’m encouraged by all of the fantastic transfers. Hopefully the staff can quickly get them to work together as a team and get the most out of them.

Yep…he sold a bunch of kids on being in the Big 12; told them it was definitely going to happen to get some to flip. Told a couple from the 2017 class that he’d take them with him if he left (followed through on a couple). He’s a used car salesman and he’s very good at that part of his job.

2 Likes

Herman is the worst kind of person. An adult who lies to and preys on kids for his own financial benefit. He’s dead to me.

4 Likes