Replace Offensive Coordinator?

It’s a little extreme to call for Nesbitting Johnson. But what is apparent right now is the offense has been hot garbage so far. A major re-evaluation of philosophy, play calls, and personnel is necessary already.

That’s never a good sign but it’s early in both coaches careers their is the possibility of growth and learning still. If we still see soul crushingly poor offensive philosophies and choices then Johnson will need to go sooner rather than later

True, but what else is there to do in Waco on a Saturday?

MA has been around the team for two years, three counting this past summer camp. He shouldn’t be re-evaluating people, if you mean players. He knows very well what he has and what each players’ capabilities are. I agree that no coaching changes need to be made. I never agree with mid-season coaching changes unless there is some scandal involved. I think the coaches need to do what they say in the media and play the guys that produce. KP produced KA didn’t. Same offense. Same coaches. Different results.

1 Like

…are you new here?

1 Like

Baylor doesn’t.

I’m not talking for anyone to be fired, but this is not 3 days in. It’s 9 months in, and these are the results of those 9 months

Offense didn’t look good in the wins either especially in the 2nd half. I’m not calling for coaches heads, but dont pretend this is the 1st time the offense has been bad

There is nothing new about a three man rush. There is nothing new with defenders stemming. OL struggles at times, so do WR’s. In the past couple of years our offense with the RIGHT QB has allowed for a ton of mistakes but we still performed at a very high level. Kyle Allen has unfortunately demonstrated that he can’t handle pressure. Basic plays like bubble screens or read options are not being done well. I am sorry but it starts with the leader on the Team. It is usually due to bad placement. The QB will tell his weapons to make these adjustments. I have not seen him do that. The QB has to take charge. Greg was dominant and took charge. Our past OL were not good? Ward TALKED to them. I have not seen Allen do that in all three games. He gets flushed way too easily. His decision making his poor to bad when the called play is not available. That is on him not the OC. As Patrick mentioned/Turberville mentioned it during the broadcast Allen had elementary bad throws. That is not going to win us game against tough opposition. What do I want to see against Temple? I want us to establish a run game first. Everything else will open us afterward. I will add that bad snaps can happen once but repeatedly? That is extremely troubling. Allen had to give his two cents to Noble but again he did not. You are the QB you take charge. The very fact that he did not (did not see) is a terrible sign of non leadership on Kyle. My apologies if he did say something to Willie but again I did not see it.

1 Like

After Baylor lost to an FCS team to start the season, they still sold 42k tickets for their game against UTSA. Now they might have had 20k no shows but I think our AD would rather we have 40k tickets sold and 30k actual attendance than 35k tickets sold and 32k actual attendance.

The reality is that this is Applewhite’s offense, and it’s pretty much the same as last year’s, except in its execution. Sure, different skillsets necessitate some adjustments, but it’s not like these guys installed a “new” offense.

My eyes tell me that this year’s offensive results are more of a personnel/performance issue than a coaching problem. That being said, the coaches are responsible for improving those things, so they need to get busy.

2 Likes

Likely tickets already sold prior to the loss. And don’t underestimate the UTSA crowd. Don’t think they’ve had many P5 local games to travel to, especially ones they thought they could win

1 Like

Applewhite said you adjust your offense and playcalling to your talent. Obviously that hasn’t happened since Allen was never going to be a 500+ yard rusher running the option

So why did Applewhite even bother getting Allen to come here knowing he wasn’t going to fit this offense without adjustments?

What cracks me up is the “nothing better to do in Waco” comments. That implies that there are a lot of things better to do than watch UH football in Houston. That is a nice sentiment isn’t it?

I disagree, We were close for a majority of the game. Offense was awful but the defense kept us in the game and had Postma come in earlier (late third or early fourth quarter) we could have won the game. This game could have easily turned into a Pitt/Memphis/LA Tech game where we came back and squeezed a victory.

3 Likes

It was so obvious on Saturday the offense we were running did not take advantage of Allen’s skill set. However if Rosen (UCLA’s QB) can actually run when running read option play, so can Allen. If we continue to use Allen ineffectively or fail to give opportunity to one the other QBs who could possibly execute better than Allen, then it is time for a new OC.

1 Like

You’re right. Allen’s problems isn’t his talent, it is his decision making. It is obvious to everyone that he throws into coverage he shouldn’t, but what is also a huge problem is he won’t pull the ball on a read and run with it, even when it is obvious the defense is crashing the run up the middle.

How about sending the RB through some new holes?

How about some pump fakes on the short throws and hitting a home run?

How about going for a big gain on 2nd and short?

The o-line looks better, lets add some complexity to the scheme.

I hate when I start predicting the next play. It brings me back the Helton era.

3 Likes

How about going under center when you have a problem with snaps?

5 Likes

Because 3rd and a foot, we like to go shotgun zone read. Don’t want the RB to get any momentum towards the line and surely dont want a possible QB sneak.

2 Likes

I don’t want to call for his job, but I’ve been underwhelmed by what Brian Johnson has done so far. I know he had a great athlete in Dak and had success at Utah as well. Feels like his resume was a little oversold, but again it’s early.

3 Likes