Report says FBI college basketball probe could result in NCAA violations for three dozen programs

At schools like Kansas and NC State, which are land grant universities famous for hardly anything other than playing basketball, buying players is simply business as usual. - At Kansas, there’s no reason to ask many questions when a 6 foot 9 inch tall 5 star player from the Congo via IMG Academy (Silvio de Sousa) drops into your basketball’s team’s starting line up in middle of the season and helps take you to the Final Four. Yeah sure, stuff like that just happens all over college hoops. Right? Level playing field and all that. Right? I mean, who can resist the chance to live in Lawrence, Kansas in the winter time? After all, it’s kind of half way been KC and Topeka. Right? = Yeah, sure.

5 Likes

If he had been from Nigeria and a hand ball player…

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/1015249044413865984

Meanwhile where is the FBI investigating penn state, michigan state and baylor?
Shoe contracts are more important than human beings? I am not defending the unreported shoe deals but where is the logic in this?

1 Like

I mean on the simple side it’s basic jurisdiction. As far as I could tell no federal crimes were committed. Nothing happened in terms of crossing State lines or using federal . Therefore no FBI.

Actually that is not correct. Take the michigan state Doctor. Being the U.S.A. gymnastics Doctor he practiced in multiple states and multiple countries. No ones knows the facts about the penn state & baylor horrific episodes. We have seen the F.B.I. intervene for local matters too.

Texas marshalls have been sent in to investigate the Baylor mess. I believe they’re still there. DOE has opened investigations for Baylor as well.

1 Like

DOE? Department of … Energy?

1 Like

Education. Should have been DoED. Too many acronyms.

What would the DoED have to do with investigating a private school. I thought that privates were immune to something like that. DoED has to do with academics.

If they accept federal money in any form (student loans, grants ect.) then they must adhere to title IX and thus the DoED.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/07/07/maryland-subpoenaed-fbi-investigation-college-basketball?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

4. The potential witness list keeps growing. Whether Ranson, Miller or even Stone or De Sousa engaged in types of conduct that the Justice Department regards as criminal, each is believed to have information relevant to prosecutors. Each should thus hire an attorney if all of them have not done so already. The same is true of anyone whom the government believes has pertinent information in this investigation—depending on the nature of that information, it could lead to the imposition of criminal charges. Also, the list of known subpoenaed schools keeps climbing—Arizona, Auburn, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Miami, North Carolina State, Oklahoma State and the University of Southern California. And there may be other subpoenaed schools that media outlets are unaware of. Investigators will look not just into current employees at those schools, but past employees and student-athletes too. All of this means that persons who may believe they no longer have anything to do with targeted schools may soon be spending time in depositions and other legal hearings because of their past associations to those schools.

Kansas tacitly acknowledges being subpoenaed in ongoing federal basketball investigation

The University of Kansas tacitly acknowledged that it has been subpoenaed by the federal government in the ongoing federal basketball investigation, according to a recent response to a public records request.

In an email to Yahoo Sports in response to a Kansas Open Records Act request, the school replied to a request for “any subpoenas received by (University of) Kansas… in relation to the ongoing federal investigation of college basketball” by stating it “has public records that are responsive to your request.” The university also stated it is “cooperating with the government inquiry.”

The university denied Yahoo’s April request for copies of subpoenas, citing the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act and saying their release would “constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.” Multiple lawyers and document experts contacted by Yahoo Sports confirmed that the language used by the university is an acknowledgement of the school being subpoenaed by the federal government.