Rice game moved to Thursday night

Replace “Texas” and add “Houston” to Kennedy’s speech…:wink::stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m glad I don’t have to tailgate now! (Sarcasm)

1 Like

Generally speaking by the time rivalry week rolls around one or both the teams season is essentially over ever year. Thus, playing Rice early maximizes attendance.

It’s not a guarantee of course, or a huge difference, but since the series restarted post SWC it means about 5-10% higher attendance.

Why play Rice some ask? Because UH students and fans show up for the game whether its at our place or theirs. Its usually a higher than avg attended game by UH fans plus when it’s @ Rice its like getting an extra home game.

Another bonus is every other year it keeps some other team from coming into our back yard. I hate it when UT rolls into town and thankfully they won’t be in the foreseeable future. That’s right…after this year UT won’t playing in Houston until 2027 at the earliest as they no longer have the Owls in Houston on their schedule at all…and you know they won’t add us (chickens). UH should lock this series up fro 2024 and onward IMHO.

3 Likes

Saturday night would be much better !!

Once again the TV warlords win out !!

And we kiss their ass

2 Likes

Agreed. ESPN is ruining college sports as we once knew it. It’s all about television and dollars now…not the fans for sure

5 Likes

Tulsa is actually our most played opponent, as we were in the MVC together.

2 Likes

I think this is mostly a Coogfans perspective. Not sure the broader UH fan base feels this way.

And Rice - UH attendance tends to be better for the first game when both teams are 0-0.

2 Likes

Not crazy about it, but I’ll take a Thursday night game instead of an 11 am Saturday game.

4 Likes

Then we would miss the marquee games on opening weekend. Let’s face it, we should blow out Rice so I’d rather do it on a Thursday night and stay home Saturday and watch football in air conditioned comfort.

2 Likes

I like college sports also, but only when UH is playing.

If it were up to me, I would schedule Rice on the 12th…of NEVER !!

1 Like

I have no problem never scheduling Rice again. It isn’t the 1950’s anymore and we need to move on!

3 Likes

12th of never? Sounds like a song.

Tulsa is our longest rivalry and they usually play hard against us. We have had a lot of exciting nail biters against them. Who can forget the 2009 game when Matt Hogan kicked a 51 yard FG as the clock ran out after Case brought us back? Or the 2016 stop at our goal line a few years ago to end the game.

I know some people discount Tulsa, but I think they are a good team for our conference.

1 Like

Then we need to come up with some kind of named trophy, back date all of the games/dates/scores and play them during Rivalry Weekend, never play Rice again and replace them with another 1A school. ULL, ULMonroe ? Close, more competition.

Thoughts?

They didn’t want to play UH in the '50’s or '60’s…or want to admit that we existed.

Now, the worm has turned !!

If we “have to play them”, then I would propose a 6 for 1 arrangement with the 6 being @ TDECU and we keep the money !!

1 Like

Sorry, but I cannot see schools like Rice, Tulane, Tulsa, smu as rivals.

I think Memphis and Cincy (in the AAC) are better competition…year in and year out…

2 Likes

Rivalry, coogs lost to Tulane and SMU last season, so Rice has a punchers chance.

Just because we lost to them doesn’t mean they are our rivals, does it?

1 Like

Im not old school to have experienced the swc. So to me I enjoyed the “rivalry” with Tulsa in cusa days. They had some competitive teams. They haven’t delivered in the American yet, which diminishes their status. I wish Rice was more competitive in football. i guess for now we have Memphis and navy?

In overall games:
UH leads Cincy 15-11 or winning 57.7%
UH leads Memphis 15-13 or winning 53.6%
UH leads Rice 31-11 or winning 73.8%
UH leads SMU 21-13-1 or winning 60%
UH leads Tulane 17-7 or winning 70.8%
UH leads Tulsa 25-19 or winning 56.8%

The only team we have a smaller winning % against than Tulsa is Memphis by 3.2% and we’ve played Tulsa the most. I think that Tulsa has earned the right to be called a rival as much as Memphis and Cincy.

2 Likes

I will be shocked if this game is on TV. Probably ESPN+ or something similar.
Other games the same night