Rice game moved to Thursday night

Albert, since being in the AAC we are 4-2 against Tulsa; but only 1-2 in the last 3 years. The win in 2016 was when we stuffed them at the goal line on the last play in a thriller.

1 Like

To me, a rival is a team that you look forward to playing every year.

Personally, I never look forward to playing any of the teams I mentioned.

To me, it has nothing to do with
winning %.

Hell, the horns and ags had a great rivalry. I think ut won about 70% of the games.

1 Like

Record doesn’t matter in rivalries. Only fan excitement.

OK St and OU is seen as a huge rivalry game but at the same time is one of the most historically lopsided matchups in college football history with OU winning +76% of the time (all time series record 83 wins 18 losses 7 ties).

At 31-11 UH does have a massive winning % advantage…but our fans still show for the game including a sellout the last time the game was played on a Thursday*.

*Totally not fair comparison to this year as UH was having a historical season in 2011. Doubt UH sells 32K tickets to this years game which is sad…but whatever the ticket sales it will be better because its vs Rice than some other random crappy team. Still don’t like it on Thursday…horrible.

3 Likes

We need the exposure of a Thursday night game. Casual HTOWN fans will come out to see
the Bucket. Can’t wait to see the transfers play.

1 Like

Well EE, to each his own. I do look forwrd to our games against our division rivals, which is good for me since that’s who we will be playing.

Just a little insight here; Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. When it comes to scheduling, I think I’m in the happiness mode; but I doubt you will have much in the way of the success mode.

If we are on espn+ then our exposure will be atrocious, not only nationally but on local ratings.

I doubt more than a few hundred non affiliated Houstonians come to our game. If alumni won’t brave the traffic then what compels am htown fan who isn’t an alumni to attend? Or pay money to watch?

3 Likes

The old sage :sunglasses:

Just wait until they announce it is a 6:00 pm KO !

1 Like

Looking at that sched we’ll definitely be on one of the ESPN broadcast networks.

OrState/Ok State - ESPN or FS1 (most likely FS1)
N. Ariz/Ariz State - FS1 or PAC Net
BYU/Utah - ESPN or FS1 (most likely ESPN)
Jacksonville St/FIU - come on really? Facebook.
Clem/GT - ACC Net or ESPN
NC State/Louisville - ACC Net or ESPN
Austin Peay/Cincy - ESPNU or CBS Sports

I don’t see how we could get less than ESPN2. I would expect we’d be a 6PM kick on ESPN to lead into Holy War BYU/UTAH game. 2 back-to-back “rivalry” games. If not, then its ESPN2 at 7PM. or vice versa.

1 Like

Really? Where have those casual fans been the last 40 years? I doubt there is hardly any walkups…heck, we are going to have a hard time getting our students out…looks how good we are doing in hoops and yet we can’t come near filling our student section on a regular basis…

3 Likes

Guess they are ALL division rivals now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Who doesn’t want to beat Houston? You remember what it was like in the old SWC days! Now we’re everyone’s target. Knocking off Houston is a big win for your program. Just like taking down OU and FSU was for us. One of the things we have to instill in our players is whether we think someone is a rival to us or not, we’re the target for everyone else.

1 Like

With my typically hectic weekend schedule, I love Thursday night games. Especially is September.

1 Like

Ah, the negativity runs deep on this board grasshopper, Mon and EE have jumped off
the poly train before it ever got started.

Our coach in year two will “win some games” (whether the alumni come out or not)

1 Like

Seems like every year there are one or two out-of-conference games I don’t particularly care for.

With Rice, at least there’s some history–love them or hate them.

Moreover, it’s got to save the AD several hundred thousand dollars at a minimum.

Plus, as Cheese said, it’s like a home game for the Coogs when it’s played at Rice.

I like the game and can’t figure out why we don’t play it every year.

4 Likes

Say what…I’ve NEVER been on the Poly Train !!

I’m on the REALITY train. I think we have a winning season…9-3…8-4.

Ain’t gonna be no 14 -0.

Too many of our more challenging games are on the road.

I like the CDH hire !!

Of course, I would have taken Levine over Apple Boy !!

2 Likes

EE I respect your posts just having fun but…

Looking at the schedule and looking at us 8-4 absolute ceiling with some luck, 9-3 polly train sorry.

1 Like

Of course it is. There is literally no reason to put it on Thursday night, except for TV. The only question is which channel. I predict ESPNNews, because it’s Rice. So low rating, but normally an uptick in attendance due to first game. But, who knows.

1 Like

CDH most likely wanted to get an earlier start to be able to better prepare his team for the upcoming road game(s).

1 Like

I never took it any other way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like