Rumor has it that Ed (is done? via Ed's Twitter)

While I can’t condone the hypothetical revenge, I did enjoy the PSA reference :grinning:

1 Like

I had a bruised hip bone in high school. They called it a “pointer”. I was out two weeks. Knee maybe is different and hopefully he can go. If not, next man up, right?

I hope no one holds it against Ed if that is the case. He could have sat the whole season, and been a top 10 pick.

2 Likes

Exactly, if one does they’re not being realistic.

Sit until you’re healthy Big Ed, he’s earned it and has been a great ambassador for UH and will continue to be long after his playing days are done

2 Likes

I don’t understand. What more does he have to prove? He’s broken school records, destroyed the notion that star Houston athletes won’t come to UH, won the Outland Trophy as an underclassmen( unheard of), and played with a banged up knee last year(his opposite knee). He gives it his all every game and is a legitimate ambassador for the University of Houston. We need to let him heal his knee, and be happy with it.

1 Like

ed has nothing to prove talent wise, and honestly i dont think we need him to beat usf

but legacy is on the line, let me give an example to show you what i mean, if their is a tight Heisman race, and the qb in the lead has a minor injury the game before what will define his heisman race…do you sit him because he is a projected top 5 pick, and won the davey o’brien award the year before (and has nothing else to prove)???

ed has put himself on the list as one of the best players in houston history…but he is at the edge of greatest UH player ever …and inching into the conversation of best college defensive lineman in modern history with suh

UH has NEVER had a unanimous all-american in its history (ed is currently favored to be one), he is currently in the lead to win all of these awards; Nagurski Trophy (top defensive player) , Lombardi Award (best lineman or linebacker.), Outland Trophy (best lineman), & Bednarik Award (top defensive player)
he is ahead in those by a tiny margin, if that…

usf will be the only top 25 team we play all year (while these award are being voted for), it is on ABC…Ed playing (and having a good game) could be huge for legacy reasons…build a statue of you on campus in the future reasons

ps i dont know the extent of his injuries .im just saying there is definitely reasons to play and not sit out if that is an option

2 Likes

I have seen lots of Houston Cougar football. In my humble opinion Ed is the best to don the red and white.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with any of this and think he should and will play if his knee is ready to go. But if it’s not ready to go, I’d rather see him sit this Saturday than not be available for the CCG if we get there. Ultimately it’s his call and he has earned enough clout to tell the staff what he wants to do.

1 Like

Consensus All-Americans

• 8 Players
Rk Player Pos Count Yrs
1 Bill Bridges OL 1 1969
2 Leonard Mitchell DL 1 1980
3 Ed Oliver DL 1 2017
4 Jason Phillips WR 1 1988
5 Rich Stotter OL 1 1967
6 Andre Ware QB 1 1989
7 Wilson Whitley DL 1 1976
8 Elmo Wright E 1 1970
1 Like

How do we compare a Ed(D-Lineman) to a QB who is in the Heisman top 5? I love Ed but he does not impact the game the way a QB does. A QB literally touches the ball every snap. Ed has an atomic level of a chance at winning the Hiesman over a QB in the top 5 of voting. Plain and simple. Bad comparison. Show me another defender in this very circumstance and I’ll bite.

Sounds like an angle for validation. Who truly cares about any of that? Ed’s future(if in question)>UH records. There are future HOF interior linemen that haven’t won any of those. Put him in when he can’t go, and hurt his draft stock and he’ll be saying “Ed Oliver, Westfield High School” in his NFL introduction snippet. Again, pointless if he loses his knee in the process.

Again, who cares? Ed will get a statue regardless. He’s done enough for this program. Ask yourself this, if he was sitting right in front of you and told you his knee was still bothering him(because It probably is), would you still ask him to go play because of all of the reasons you stated above? I doubt it. I can’t even picture someone in their right mind making that request to anybody, let alone a kid that put this team on his back for 3 years. All of the extra stuff is exactly just that at the end of the day, extra stuff to brag about.

But none are unanimous

I agree with you, but Wilson Whitley is not too far behind Big Ed. WW had no trouble at all controlling the line of scrimmage and shutting down the wishbone, veer, and split back run games that he faced in the early and mid-seventies. Apples and oranges…Big Ed is more inside, over the center in the A and B gaps, and WW played further outside, but if you took Big Ed for your defense, I would have no problem taking WW for my defense. Good discussion.

Go Coogs. Peace.

1 Like

Wilson’s senior year was ridiculously dominating. While both EO and WW’s careers are similarly outstanding, I’m not sure Ed’s best season matches Wilson’s senior year.

That said, if Lee Canalito had not suffered career ending knee injury(ies), we’d be asking how close they were to being as dominating. Lee had a meaner streak to him

my point had nothing to do with ed winning the heisman, but that youd play a projected top 3 nfl qb in a meaningless college football game if you knew he had a chance to win the heisman…but that ed is in a similar situation with defensive awards

1. ed wants to play he already posted on twitter that he still has a lot to prove this season after the injury…the whole westfield thing is pure bs,no way anyone would force him to play against his will…specially when he wants to play

2. ed has a contusion, the worst case is re-aggravating the contusions …why are you acting like if he plays he is going to lose his career forever…
    ed is still a guaranteed top 15 pick regardless of injury or not…bosa and rashan gary are injured and havent moved a spot in draft projections

those trophies follow you for life …

Wilson Whitley won the lombardi FIVETY YEARS AGO!!! houston fans still talk about it till this day

and it goes beyond fans, the more decorated you were in college the better chance you have at getting a sports job post retirement…i hope you kow why andre ware has a cushy espn job

again no one is saying to force him to play…if ed says he doesnt want to play…that that…but pretending their is no incentive to pay and its meaningless is flat out wrong

No you wouldn’t if he was hurt. And no, a QB is not the same as an interior defensive linemen, at any level.

Lol OMG screen shot it. He hasn’t said anything about the injury, AT ALL. Post it here please. The Westfield thing is speculation but do you know these coaches on a personal level to make that assumption? If not, then it’s still possible. Again, show me where the man HIMSELF has stated he wants to play…

The worst case is another injury in the same area, not reaggravating something that is still bothering him…

Injuries follow you for life …

FIFY!

The problem is you’re confusing incentive for him to play (college trophies that amount to what?) and incentives that fans(you, yourself) want him to play for(bragging rights and topics of conversation). None of it matters if the worst happens. Quality of life> College football merits.

this was after the navy game ( the tweet he quoted was the outland trophy tweeting his stats from the season)
https://twitter.com/Edoliver_11/status/1054460711747903495

he also recently liked this tweet of tebow criticizing bosa’s decision
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1053327631607889920

1 Like

:joy:WAS THIS REGARDING HIS INJURY OR PLAYING USF…?

It looks like a tweet saying, yes he wants to play and collect more sacks, but it’s not a tweet specifically saying “Hey there world, I would like to inform you that I am injured, but I would still like to play against USF this Saturday October 27th, 2018”.

no one is saying ed should play if he’s badly injured

but anyone who has talked to ed knows if the doctors says he is good enough to play, even if he is still slighlty hurt, he will want to play…

you are trying to say these awards are meaningless and ed doesnt care that much about them and worried more about his future. when in the offseason Ed personally said the bednarik and nagurski award were his awards, and he was coming to get them next year

you are trying to say ed might not want to play vs usf, when ed himself said the ny6, and leaving a legacy in UH is his goal for UH. that he will do everything he can to leave UH in a better place than what was passed to him, and uh was ny6 team before he came…
this is a season defining game for that goal…if we lose we are out of the ny6

ed has made it very clear he cares about the legacy he leaves behind…not sure why you are being stubborn that he doesnt

Have you talked to him? You’re making the point, not the ubiquitous “anyone”.

Show me where I said Ed doesn’t care about the awards(strawman) and is more worried about his future. He could have said those awards are his, yes; guess what…I bet he didn’t have a knee contusion from opposing players targeting his knee going on then did he? Things change… All of those awards could still be important in his mind, but now he has something to consider.

Show me where I said he doesn’t WANT to play USF.

Lol we could still go to a NY6 without Ed playing vs USF this weekend man, it’ll be ok… We were a NY6 team before he got here? He was a true freshman on a team that BECAME a NY6 team the same year. Did we go to a NY6 game prior to him getting here, then return the exact same players his freshman year? You’re killing me smalls!

We are already in a better place, and Ed already has a legacy built here regardless. Where have I said any of that? Show me^^^
I know Ed loves this city, I know that Ed cares. I know that Ed want’s to play, I know that Ed wants to win. I also know that Ed has something legitimate to consider and that’s regardless of what you, I, or the team wants.