Rumor has it that Ed (is done? via Ed's Twitter)

Oliver is a team player…if he CAN play, he WILL play, and i am pretty sure he CAN play because he was walking around after all this happened…players play hurt ALL the time…

1 Like

I was at Temple game last year when Ed got injured…he changed to sweatsuit and was on sideline laughing and dancing to music…he didn’t play the next week. Who knows

2 Likes

I’ve seen all the players listed play and Elmo Wright was my favorite to watch!

1 Like

any good news on ED?

1 Like

Elvin Hayes was the greatest UH basketball player, and one of the very best NBA players, and there is no statue of him (to the best of my knowledge) and also no statue of Hakeem Olajuwon on campus. What more can one person do to make an impact ? ? ? ? ? Ed is fabulous, but will he be an All Pro and Hall of Fame winner when all is done ? ? ? ? ? Not thinking Ed will get a statue . . . . .

hakeem was supposed to get a statue or a mural of some sort but because of his religion said he didnt want it and against what he believed (he also turned down the rockets)

and we financial and athletically collapsed not long after lewis era, we are still recovering on the basketball end till this day…we averaged 1000 fans on a tourney last year…no sure why you comparing football to basketball…

im not even going to argue semantics, of why those this guy deserve a statue and this guy doesnt …but ed is on the brink of becoming te most decaorated player in UH football history…if he gets the uanimous all american, and those awards he will be memorialized in some way …its not a if , its a how

I’m a big Ed fan but he has a ways to go before he gets greatest of all time honors and or a statue. There are 10’s if not a hundred or more players that should be memorialized in some fashion. Maybe Cougar Walk should have brick pavers with star athletes names on them. Maybe there should be concrete blocks with team captains names, handprints, years played, etc.
My random list of great players includes Moon Mullins, Carl Cunningham, Riley Odom, Rich Stotter, Bill Pickens, Dickie Post, Dick Woodall (who I just saw the other day) Melvin Bell (I know he played basketball but think he played football too), Warren McVea, Elmo Wright, Wilson Whitley, Gus Brezina, Bobby Brezina, the other Brezina’s, Case Keenum, Mark Hafner, Patrick Edwards, Matt Hogan, Paul Gipson, just for starters.

6 Likes

This is a typical condescending and dismissive response from that guy. Sad.

1 Like

Notice that he didn’t offer a response as to what he thought happened !!

The only statue of any UH athlete I know of is the one of Carl Lewis in the Hall of Fame.

2 Likes

Ware won the Heisman, among others, and Whitley won the Lombardi, among others, so I’m curious as to how exactly Ed will become the most decorated player in UH football history.

ed is currently favored to be the 1st unanimous all-american in houston football history and our highest draft pick ever
he is also currently a top 3 favorite to win the Nagurski Trophy (top defensive player) , Lombardi Award (best lineman or linebacker.), Outland Trophy (best lineman), & Bednarik Award (top defensive player)

to add to his already 2x all-american status, and the outland he has already won…
if ed gets those awards…it wont even be close

im not even sure your point. ed would be in a complete lane of his own …

not unless you are misunderstanding and comparing ed now to those guys…again, im not saying he is now…im saying if he finishes strong and gets those awards…
if you are saying he wouldnt be even if he got those awards…there is nothing to be curious about, that is flat wrong…

3 Likes

Who’s Turner ?

My source was correct

:fire:

He was actually Wilson Whitley who later used Turner as an alias. :wink: I have these brain farts from time to time. Never the less, TJ Turner was a really great player for us as well.

I’m saying he hasn’t won the Heisman or Lombardi which Andre Ware and Wilson Whitley have respectively. I’m not saying he isn’t as good or maybe would not. He still may; but so far, he isn’t our most decorated player. This is not to take away from any of his accomplishments; but, let’s not take away from the accomplishments of Ware or Whitley either.

The Outland Trophy is generally considered to be a major college football award in the same Tier as a Heisman or Lombardi.

Given that, he merits discussion as one of UH’s greatest of all time. If he wins another major award, such as a second Outland, then he’d arguably be our best ever.

1 Like

Charles Woodson at Michigan in 1997 is the only defensive player to ever win the Heisman, and he got a lot of press for returning punts (I pulled up the list and reviewed it). So, if Ed were to win, and he never had a chance, he’d be the first strictly D player to win. The first Heisman was awarded in 1935.