Scumlin coming to TDECU next year

This game just became a grudge match. Circle September 8th in red, do whatever you’ve got to do to clear your schedule to be at UH that day, encourage the guys to work their asses off over the summer, and beat the holy hell out of Arizona

Case was yellin at the sideline. I remember someone on the board said that Scumlin was like a dog that shows its bellie, submitting. Case was not.

UH lost over $10M due to not being able to play in the Sugar Bowl against Michigan. Also, see UCF this year, that could have been us in 2011 and Sumlin could have had the class to act like Scott Frost on the way out. He also could have insisted that A&M schedule us while he was there instead of them taking the Rice deal.

I won’t applaud the man no matter how good the rest of his tenure was because of the way he left. Same goes for Herman.

11 Likes

Arizona’s new head coach, Kevin Sumlin, plans to retain defensive coordinator Marcel Yates and name Noel Mazzone his offensive coordinator, according to Bruce Feldman of Sports Illustrated.

Sumlin is also expected to bring in Clarence McKinney as running backs coach.

Heck, we don’t even have to look that far into the future. The guy who beat Sumlin that year, Larry Fedora, had already accepted the UNC job. Not only did he stick with his team for the game against UH, but also coached Southern Miss in its bowl game that year. I have had respect for him ever since just as I will respect Scott Frost. No one was that upset at Sumlin for taking the Aggie job. But we were and are still highly upset that he checked out early. Sumlin is a selfish jerk who put his own greed above a bunch of seniors facing the chance of a lifetime. He will always be scum in my book.

12 Likes

UH didn’t lose over $10M. CUSA and our conference mates lost over $10M. With revenue sharing, UH lost somewhere over $1M. Still a good amount of money, but UH didn’t miss out on making it rain because of the loss.

I will say this for Sumlin while he was interviewing for aTm. The same week he attended a Student Government meeting and gave a very impassioned plea on why SGA should allow the stadium referendum go up for vote. The passing of the vote was no where near a sure thing heading into that meeting and Sumlin certainly helped get it passed, whether he had one foot out the door or not. I prefer to remember that. In the grand scheme of UH football, the stadium was a bigger issue.

1 Like

I don’t know what Sumlin did or didn’t do. I just want to beat his butt because he left.

Just activated my account to post a hot take! Missed you guys!

Cool Sumlin gets to coach in the stadium he had a large hand in building.

With that said, hope he doesn’t get to celebrate a thing in it.

Case Keenum built the stadium not Sumlin. When Sumlin didn’t have Case (or Johnny) he was horrible.

9 Likes

#truth #skol

2 Likes

While Sumlin had some fault in that loss, the reason houston lost that game was due to a red hot southern miss , ranked three times that season, and coached by a savvy tactician in Larry Fedora. Houston fans overlooked a really sound team.
Some of us who watched Southern miss weeks before the championship game, were not surprised at how physical that team was.

Rather CMA put more emphasis on beating Memphis and clearly Memphis, Navy and Tulsa, play the championship game, win it and play in Fiesta.

No, we were as good or better than Southern Miss. We lost because Sumlin failed to prepare the team for the game even to the point of canceling the Wednesday walk thru. Then during the game he called it as if he did not want to win. While he was at UH he did not recruit that well and rode Case Keenum’s back to his big payday at A&M and could not shake the dust of UH off his shoes fast enough.

8 Likes

Fact! All facts! The team was mentally devastated when he canceled the walk-through to go interview at A&M. They knew that their coach had completely bailed on them. And I don’t care how red hot southern Miss was, there is no way that they were a better team than Penn State and we destroyed them.

5 Likes

Southern Miss was good, but not on Houston’s level. There was still the chance that a focused Sumlin led team would lose that (mainly because Sumlin has never won an important game and his teams look unprepared a lot in 1st halfs), but they would not have lost like that. That was an embarrassment thanks to Sumlin not wanting to be on the sideline and not caring about the game.

I also disagree with you saying Southern Miss was red hot, they lost to UAB (3-9) two weeks earlier and squeaked by UCF (5-7). Houston was the red hot team, look at the 7 games leading into it. We completely destroyed SMU and Tulsa who were the next best teams in the conference that year and were just blowing out teams left and right. That same UAB team who beat Southern Miss, we took down by 43. Marshall who also beat Southern Miss, we beat by 35. A well coached Houston does not lose to Southern Miss.

7 Likes

Don’t forget that USM went 0-12 the very next year, after making the single worst HC hire in FBS history.

I don’t think that Arizona will be substantially better next year - it isn’t like Rich Rod went 3-9 in 2017. If anything, I’m going to be very interested to see how Sumlin and Mazzone utilize Khalil Tate next year. I’m not at all sure that Tate has the right skill set for Mazzone’s offense.

In other words, we beat Arizona at their place last year. There’s really no reason we can’t do so again.

6 Likes

With an actual offense, we should blow the doors off that team.

5 Likes

its a trap game. they will be looking for revenge after losing to us and sumlin will be motivated after being fired from a&M. i cant wait for this game!

3 Likes

Scumlin coming back to UH is priceless!!!

1 Like

Hopefully it’s a shootout that ends in KS’s heart being broken. lol This is one game we have to win to start our win steak at the Cage back up. Go Coogs!

1 Like