Shannon Dawson Apparently Calling Plays

“It was clear to me that he was the most knowledgeable guy in the room, and so the most knowledgeable guy in the room is going to coach the quarterbacks,” Holgorsen said of Dawson. “He was the one that I listened to last year, he was the one upstairs calling the majority of the plays, he’s the guy that helped me game plan the most. That was an easy move.”

1 Like

I guess all of the guys that blugeoned Applewhite, for not being engaing with the press and not promoting like LTH, will open up on Holgosen now. But, I can certainly understand being annoyed by certain journalists and their line of questioning as well as some of the articles that tried to sensationalize King’s departure and the departure of a few assistant coaches.

2 Likes

He’s annoyed at everything.

11 Likes

He for sure does not get along with Duarte. I wouldn’t be too happy with a 4-win season but this seems to go much deeper. I am too lazy to check his relationship with WVa press. At the end of the day, just win. #LFG

5 Likes

From what I’ve gathered from WVA fans, Dana’s relationship with the media is the same here as there. Condescension with flippant annoyance.

1 Like

That doesn’t bode well for his relationship with some of the Assistants. People don’t usually appreciate being demoted; it usually precipitates a departure.

In regards to his attitude with the press, it is unhelpful. It reinforces my opinion that this guy wasn’t the right hire for UH.

2 Likes

Be nice if he would make eye contact with supporters and at the least say hello when passing.
However what matters is how he puts his roster together and hires his staff.
So far I like what I see.

I know it’s a necessary evil in this day and time but many of these so called “sports journalist” are nothing more than Jim Rome wannabes just trying to get clicks.

1 Like

CDH wants to just coach it is obvious.

He does not engage with the media and I don’t think he enjoys interacting with alums. At the kick,off event, it seemed like it was the last place he wanted to be.

The demands of a coach have changed. Hate him, but Herman gave access to the media, though he tried to keep the, in line, and promoted the program and energized alums.

Applewhite didn’t do it either. I am skeptical on CDH.

Maybe that added to the saltiness because highlighting these moves shines the light on what looks to be a demotion for a guy CDH says is a good fit in his new assignment. CDH may consider reassignments and not a demotion. Who knows? Maybe Duarte should ask him more questions about it…

2 Likes

At the same time, I don’t have a ton of compliments for former UH coaches except to say that Tony seemed like a good guy.

4 Likes

Problem is if you win you can be a big @hole. If you lose nobody likes that act. So He better start winning soon.

6 Likes

He grades a -0- when it comes to Marketing his team and Zero also for his personality. I dont want to hear the comebacks of that’s not what they’re paying him for. All I know is they sure heck aren’t paying bucket loads $$ to win 4 gms, n realistic projection of 7 W’s in 2020 not exactly making the loyals very excited. #ItIsWhatIs

3 Likes

Take it how you want…at the end of the day you are expected to do your job at a high level. Blackwell had zero experience calling plays at the college level. He was demoted to a position he has the most experienced in. I don’t see how this should be an issue for him.

Dawson on the other hand at least has experience.

1 Like

Holgorsen has always been nice and polite to me. Met him several times.
Dawson isn’t calling plays.
Holgorsen will call plays.
Dawson will coach the QBs and help develop game plans. He also will make recommendations during games.
This is not a lot different from last year. Just a chance in titles and who will be in the room with the QBs for meetings.

1 Like

So my guess is this was a you’re getting demoted or getting fired situation. So I would bet this is very much an issue for him. He’s probably brushing up his LinkedIn when he gets home.

I’ll have to research Dawson’s experience as an OC, but if hypothetically it’s like Jaime Bryant or Johnson from year 1 of Applewhite. Hard pass. Experience as a crappy coordinator is worse than no experience. However, CDH is free to make any changes to his staff that he thinks makes the team better.

But this kind of brings me to my final point. Who the hell does CDH think he is getting salty with the media, or frankly anyone? You are the highest paid G5 coach in the country, and 4-8. You don’t get to be an a-hole with that going for you. He better be out there smiling, shaking hands, kissing babies and drumming up excitement for the program.

He wins 10+ games he can go back to being Bellicheck. Until then do part of your job and sell this program to the media and the city.

8 Likes

Makes sense. I was responding in terms to refute the idea that he would turn disgruntled as someone above is passively alluding to. I don’t think he’s going to harbor a grudge towards CDH. But then again, some of us can get over things, while others can not.

I guess CSD’s coaching experience depends on what we want to give him credit for. In other words, did he actually call the plays?

2012 He coached Geno Smith to an offense that averaged 507 yards per game.

2014 WVU offense ranked 79th of 125.

2015 Kentucky offense ranked 95th of 128.

2016 through 2018 Southern Miss’ offense sequentially ranked 41st of 128, 58 of 130, and 90th of 130.

Maybe he’s ready this year. I know he coached tight ends at one point and we recruited an explosive H-back. It’ll be interesting how he’ll use both Trahan and Edmonds.

I will volunteer to be CDH’s media liaison…however, since I don’t like them either…I would probably just tell them to FO !!

3 Likes

I talked to and interviewed many coaches over the years and I can tell you there are many like Holgersen in the high school ranks.
They are there to coach football and win games…period. Many could care less to be interviewed or have to talk to the public.
Could I interview a guy like Holgy?..probably as long as I only had to ask him “soft” questions…I bet he is heck to deal with otherwise lol…and yes I would have had no problem asking the tough questions as long as they were pertinent to the team. One other thing, if he refused to answer a question I would just move on to the next or go home…
As an alum and Coog fan, I really don’t care if he ever smiles or talks to me. I want him to win football games, which would probably be the best thing about his personality.
If he doesn’t win and continues to wear on folks he will be gone…pretty easy to figure that out…

2 Likes

Where are you getting this info from? The quote from Holgorsen in the article is that Dawson was calling plays: “he was the one upstairs calling the majority of the plays”.

1 Like