Shannon Dawson Apparently Calling Plays

My take - He can be a jackhole all he wants, it’s wins that matter. Unfortunately, he’s just a jackhole that hasn’t won.

Hope it changes next season but the tea leaves aren’t reading great at the moment.

Personally, I would prefer a coach that is crafty enough to manipulate and use the media & alumns for the benefit of the program and his team. They can be your biggest boosters or your worst enemies.

4 Likes

So you liked Herman.

1 Like

I liked winning NY6 bowls.

3 Likes

No one would’ve liked Herm at 4-8. 12-1 and beating OU he may have been an a-hole, but he was my a-hole then, now not so much.

Like any job on the planet, we all tolerate people who produce awesome results. When those results stop, being a jerk becomes much more impalatable.

5 Likes

2015 Herman was the perfect coach for this program. There’s a reason he had LSU and UT fighting over him.

1 Like

For all his faults, Herman was a master at this. No coach before or since engaged with the media and fanbase the way Herman did. Now was it all an act? Of course it was, but that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t effective.

3 Likes

key word here is “was” .

His relationship with the media soured drastically.

It doesn’t seem like it is all that rosy in Austin either.

His act had a shelf life.

2 Likes

Thanks for those numbers, unfortunately that does not fill me with any sort of confidence if he was in fact calling plays at these stays. At best I’m seeing a lot of mediocrity.

Sumlin was cocky like that when he won. And passive as a church mouse when Rice would kick his ass. He knew when to act civilized.

2 Likes

We’ll see. He did a pretty good job mixing things up last year so it might have depended on the QBs he had. This is his second year with Tune so no excuses for not being on the same page.

1 Like

Duarte has seen coaches come and go. Objectively with a 4-6 record, he needs to win pronto or Renu will run him out of town.

1 Like

It’s all a Catch-22…

Know it’s a bonus if the HC is media friendly but I’d rather have one that’s a little surly and wins than a great guy HC that loses to the TX St and UTSA’s of the NCAA

Except he didn’t win, so there goes that argument. After he starts winning, he can be an a-hole all he wants.

Basing it on what I’ve discussed with the coaches.
If I understood correctly, Dawson may be calling in that he recommends the play (it’s group think), but Holgorsen calls the play.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why anyone would be impatient with the Houston media that have interest in our program. There are only three. And all of them are pretty Coog friendly.

1 Like

Very true…he also didn’t inherit a 13-1 team either…He proved he could win in the B12 @ WV, no easy task. After Herman took an entire class and the Applewhite disaster the program was in bad shape, know many don’t agree with that but it was. I think and hope he’ll get the job done but it’s going to take a few years…not a easy sell i know

12 Likes

Who did? Levine?

I don’t disagree with you, but my point is in the meantime, he should be a little more humble/agreeable.

3 Likes

Yes Sir, was just saying he didn’t inherit team while it was flying high. I agree it couldn’t hurt but his DNA appears to be old-school HC…just win baby

CDH is going to be who he is. Pandering to the media would just be a distraction if it’s not a part of his true nature. We should not want him distracted.