Should we Open Schools in the Fall

Their so-called bad decisions is called life.

They have it under control; they have a situation you
can actually do contact tracing in. Look at cases graphs of US vs west Eoropean countries . Johns Hopkins is a good resource to see that.

So it’s logical and it is about health.

Reopen safely with social distancing. Can we all agree on that and why this is not already decided

So no, we don’t agree social distancing is possible
in that school environment. Consider to our extensive use of AC as well. One infection can be spread throughout the room and beyond as well.

3 Likes

So Doctors know nothing and they are not reliable? I thought you believed in science?
You can’t have it both ways. What is the real end game here? Our own school has developed an AC filter and they are set to get it to mass production.

The latest data coming out of Europe shows the chinese virus coming back. You can look at the latest data. Even though the the chinese virus is coming back schools will be open in the fall.
Cucumber farm and of all places in 
GERMANY and from the Washington Post no less.

They have their infections under control. We do not.

If we wanted to open schools in the fall, we should have gotten the virus under control in the summer.

1 Like

The game ???
We are talking potential death here.

The “game”, is my children will not be attending school in person until we have a lot less then
69,000 new cases a day. The “game” is my children will not be attending in person classes until we have
a much lower test positivity rate here.

What’s with the “chinese virus” talk ?

3 Likes

Yeah, I think the US has earned the right to claim it as the “American virus.” We’re the undisputed champs of coronavirus, no one comes close.

2 Likes

I will keep calling it the chinese virus or if you prefer communist dictatorship of china virus. It originated from there. You can also dispute it if you care to do so.
I am all with your choice to not have your children in school. This is what true liberty is all about. I am 100% for my 8 year and 11 year old to go back to school. That is my personal choice. I will hope that you will respect it too.
Europe is going through a major resurgence Germany in particular. The Dax (Germany’s NYSE) stock market is taking a major hit as we exchange friendly messages.
We have no choice but to reopen our economy. Our latest economy numbers are very troublesome. If we have to issue tickets and prison time for people not wearing a mask I am all for it. We can not sustain this status quo for much longer. When you consider that the US economy is based on small to medium size business. This is what is at stakes. The amazon, microsoft or others global companies could care less. Your local cleaner or tire shop is not microsft.
I am will say it again friends. The communist dictatorship of china could care less about its citizens. It is a dictatorship. Do you care to debate on that too? Research how many chinese citizens were killed under Mao Tse Tung. Care to debate the chinese concentration camps or what is going on in Honk Kong? You bet it is connected to why we are in this conundrum.
The very fact that china has not been cooperative and truthful from the start is inexcusable. How many lives could have been saved if they had told the truth from the beginning?
I will ask you again how many lives could have been saved if they had been straight forward from November?
We are now in late July. Do you all realize that the communist dictatorship of china still has not opened “its books” to the rest of the world.

Ask yourself this question. Why haven’t they?

69000 cases in the USA or 69,000 in the state in which you live. In the former case why would it matter to you and in the latter, such a number in Texas or any other state is highly unlikely.

Regarding #5, here’s one study.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2020/07/08/peds.2020-004879

There are others if you want to go digging. Children don’t seem to spread this much and young children don’t seem to spread this almost at all. Based on what we know now (which is of course a caveat) this also seems substantially less dangerous for young children than the flu. This could support thinking about opening elementary school, middle school, and high school all differently.

#6 - Young kids missing a year of school is probably going to be pretty bad based on what usually happens with a child’s academic abilities after the summer. Online doesn’t really work for young kids.

Let us stick to the topic at hand - schools.

Let’s leave the rest of the world out of this and all the other stuff out of it.

The good folks that run this board are watching.

We should be able to have a meaningful conversation without them having to admonish us. They are not making any money here they do it for the love of the Coogs. They ask us to do ONE thing we should try and give them a break.

I know it is hard for me too. Rules are rules.

4 Likes

TJCoog,
Mine did okay with the last 8 weeks at home in the
spring semester. First 2 weeks were a little rough adapting to the changes; but, that’s on me. Overall worked well enough. I know better now how to work with it.

Definitely true about summer skills decline. But this
year I’ve kept them reading a chapter a day and utilizing the Ed Galaxy that’s been available all summer long.

There are folks that do exclusive home schooling. Before all this started, I was with my oldest son at
the park one day last year. Ran into another dad that had 3 sons. All three home schoolers. Asked him how difficult it was, sacrifices, etc ? He just shrugged and said it was the norm in their family as
he and his wife were home schooled as well. Long
story short, our kids played together for about an hour. Kids seemed as normal as mine.

As for the study you posted, thanks for passing it along. More recent things I’ve read tend to cast a long enough shadow on those conclusions to the
point I’m not comfortable with it.

Best of luck to you and your kids in the upcoming year doing in person schooling.

Delmar,
It does matter to me since to best of my knowledge people travel freely between states.

Locally, TMC is showing 19% test positivity rate.
That helps me to decide too.

Regards

1 Like

That’s accomplished by taking their guns away and promoting anarchy
getting kids back to school and businesses open again using the common sense approach is the correct path

Now that’s American Pride

1 Like

I fully acknowledge the point about home schooling and I’m sure you are doing/going to do a good job with your kids. It can be done but a lot of families are struggling/going to struggle with it.

As of right now I support parents having the option for elementary-aged kids (including mine) going back to school or choosing virtual but will always be open to rethinking my view if we start getting data that kids are really spreading the virus and/or being seriously affected by the virus in ways we didn’t previously understand in large numbers.

If I have the ability to stay at home with a kid to help the school teach my child all day, I would go and find a home school program that is made for it. The knock I have always had against hone school is the lack of social skills. I know it isn’t every student, but a lot of hone school kids I have met are very introverted and a bit Weird. Smart as hell, but just off. If we are taking the social part out of school and I have the ability, I am teaching my kid at home on my own with the help of a home school group that does this every year, not a public school ISD that is trying to throw some stuff together.

I haven’t noticed that but don’t know a ton of home schooled people.

Either way, I wonder how much of what you’re seeing is related to the type of person that decides to do home school. In other words, you likely have an inherently biased sample.

I don’t think home schooling will make someone introverted. That’s really part of your personality. Lacking social skills maybe but there are co-ops that help with a lot of that.

2 Likes

That comment about home school kids is such a fabrication and older stereotype. Texas is a hot spot for home schooling and has been growing at 7% per year. I would bet that it will tick up higher due to COVID. I can point to a great many high performing home schoolers I have met or known over the years. And many were very high performing.

1 Like

For better or worse, when we do something, we do it TO THE MAXXX!!!

https://gfycat.com/loathsomethirdkob

1 Like