Six UH athletes just tested positive

Multiple schools have reported asymptomatic cases.

There may be others with symptomatic cases unreported, idk.

do you have any links, i read the ucf and iowa state reports
they just stated we tested everyone and had this many positive

All of Alabama’s players were. Same for OSU. There were others but not going thru all of the schools.

1 Like

Lol

1 Like

And I couldn’t disagree more with your take on the pandemic. Just because students may not get seriously sick doesn’t mean that they can’t infect others that will. And, are you serious about the population not needing a vaccine?!?! :astonished:

2 Likes

“Ninety-nine” percent means that one of our kids would die so that you can be entertained by football.

1 Like

Shouldn’t you let the kids make the decision on if they want to play? Some of these kids have been working their entire lives in hopes of making it to the next level.

2 Likes

That’s fine if you believe there will be no potential liability or reputation risk to the school if someone gets really sick or worse dies. Our administrators have to look at this further than just whether our student athletes want to do it.

In any event, you have to do everything you can to mitigate it which UH clearly didn’t do. Good news is it seems we are changing course.

3 Likes

Just let no fans in. I’m sure all the kids and coaches would sign waivers. I’m just not a fan of telling these kids they can’t play if they are willing to accept the risk and want to play.

1 Like

I’d be concerned about how enforceable waivers will be.

Either way, there is still the reputation risk that can’t be waived away. I understand what you’re saying but administrators have lots to consider.

I get it. Most schools will have the same issue.

But just thinking about our recent past. William Jackson went from a 5th rounder to a 1st rounder his senior season. Josh Jones went from Undrafted to a possible first rounder, ended up going in the third round. That’s millions of dollars for these kids.

My concern isn’t the fans who are getting bent out of shape because they won’t be able to go to a game. It’s for these kids. Life changing money that could be lost because of this.

1 Like

Not good news for those kids or for athletics in general. If there is no college football this fall, then there is no basketball and we, along with everyone else, can just close up shop and say goodbye to competitive college athletics.

I think we would be done. Schools like UT would survive missing a season.

1 Like

If we had no sports and had no sports expenses why would it go away? No travel, no game day expenses. Yes scholarships, but that doesn’t actually cost anything in real dollars. 400 extra kids going to school For free mixed with 40000 others that are paying should not end it all. Coaches would have to take a hit and that might suck for them. I would think the larger athletic departments like UT or the crazy ones in California with water polo and fencing and every Olympic sport would hurt the most.

1 Like

This line should have sealed the deal that he was being facetious, “Then we should shut down for at least 3 years.”

2 Likes

Yeah. How do you pay for scholarships? Salaries? Maintenance for facilities, etc.

We wouldn’t survive missing football AND basketball.

Also, why are kids showing up to campus? I seriously doubt we’re packing lecture halls if we’re not playing sports. Why would kids pay for a remote education from an overpriced 4 year school when they can just go to community college for a year or two? Would be devastating.

I’m saying the data as it stands today shows that there would be no where near that type of death toll if we had remained open
We should instead have focused the efforts and huge $ spent on protecting those most vulnerable, not shutting down the entire country

3 Likes

You need better reading comprehension
I said 99% would recover quickly as in very light cases of covid symptoms
Never said 1% would die
I think the chance for an athlete to die from this disease is less than if not the same as the flu
It’s possible but highly unlikely
We don’t shut down sports for flu season so I don’t see this as any different
There were high degrees of uncertainty when this all started months ago
Now it’s clear, it affects some older folks and those with compromised immune systems
And that is where the focus needs to be
Not on athletes pro or amateur

1 Like

If they are kept in their little bubble of a world then they shouldn’t be infecting anyone
Any coaches who associate with them do so knowingly and accept the risk
Certainly not suggesting we have them visit hospitals and old folks homes
But if they stay on campus and are restricted to certain activities then the risk is lower that they would infect someone in the general population then if they were elsewhere

I don’t think that number is right. And you have no idea if it’s right.

In any event, nearly 60,000 faculty, staff, students and visitors are on the UH campus each when it’s in full operation. Not all of them are finely-tuned athletes. In fact, most are not.

What about them?

1 Like