SMU Is Pivotal

We said the same thing about Tech sooo…

Just because we sucked it up and turned the ball over a bunch against Tech (with a QB who will not be starting this week) doesn’t make his statement any less true. SMU statistically is worse than Tech even though Tech has played a stronger schedule so far. The point is, good teams take advantage of an opponent’s weaknesses. It’s clear what SMU’s weakness is, so hopefully we can actually exploit it this time.

Look at SMU’s sack numbers. 21 sacks is a lot this early in the season. I haven’t watched them play, but my guess is they like to pin their ears back and create pressure. That mentality can be easily exploited with screens and quick passes. Let’s put those suspect DBs on islands and exploit the heck out of them.

2 Likes

SMU sacks by game:
SFA= 2
UNT= 5
TCU= 3
ARST= 3
UCONN= 8
UCONN ran for -8 yards enabling SMU to tee off on them.

2 Likes

Exactly! I don’t understand why some folks can’t think objectively and evaluate different variables in each game. The same information that we obtain is available to them as well. It seems like the go to is to reference irrelevant comparisons. The transitive property is also popular, I see. . With that being said, SMU can stop the run and create pressure, but they gamble a ton( as you’ve stated) and against an RPO base, that spells disaster and over pursuit. They’re going to blitz and run right into a running back or receiver that doesn’t have the ball, and Postma is going to hurt them. lol They better pay attention.

https://swcroundup.com/news/2017/10/3/keys-to-the-game-houston-at-smu?utm_content=buffer32a45&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Put it in Hicks’ Hands

We have our reservations about Ben Hicks. They’re well documented. Hicks throws a very nice deep ball, but when asked to throw more precise routes, his accuracy fails. Before UConn, he was completing less than 50% of his passes. Houston’s safeties need to play with leverage and keep SMU’s deep threats in front of them, and close windows so Hicks has to be more precise.

just take a look at last 4 games in Houston between Houston and SMU…2009-Houston 38-13…
2011- Houston 37- SMU 7 college gameday , we trounce 8-2 SMU who had beat TCU… 2013 Houston 34-SMU 0 revenge game and Levine’s most impressive win at UH…2015 - Houston 44 SMU 21
2017…We are going to BEAT SMU Everything points to it.

2 Likes

SMU may have played weak teams but this is not about them, it’s about us. We need play up to our own expectations else a bunch of self absorbed ***holes with Pink ******* Ponies in their helmets will have taken our season from us. We cannot allow it!