Nodovirus 548
Whopping Cough 460
Typhoid 396
Meningtits 320
Measles 247
Rabies 162
Yellow Fever 82
Covid-19 56

Only for Covid did we shut down economies all over the world. We need to keep our perspective on reality. Open the schools and play the games while taking proper per cautions . To quote FDR, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself”.
I hope this is not perceived as political. It is aim at staying real and dealing with the hand we have been dealt.

Source world meter

56 deaths per day?

worldwide?

We have over 1K per day in The United States, so I’m not sure where you are getting your numbers.

Yesterday, per Worldometer, which you say you use, it has Covid deaths as +4,368, and Mondays are always lower. The current 7-day average is 5,700.

1 Like

This thread’s only value is showing how much it has grown. And yes, I am the one who edited the title. We dont need 6 month old data being thought of as new. It was February 5th the world averaged 56 deaths a day.

1 Like

Are you saying that number is per day for a whole year because the totals I am seeing are over an entire year to come up with per day. We haven’t reached a full year to this point in time. I think we have to see how it plays out for a day.

YES, I take it as political and the reason that you are saying or writing about deaths caused by covid 19 is because you only care about numbers. One death is more than enough and you would be not writing about your statistic if, one of those deaths were one of your family members like, your dad, mother, wife, kids or grandparents. We have more that 150,000 deaths which it translates to more that 150,000 families, friends and communities suffering because of covid19. Think about this for an statistic, more that 150,000 deaths and almost 5,000,000 people infected in just few months.

I’m going to use round numbers just to make it easy. 700,000 confirmed dead worldwide, divided by 200 days, would be 3,500 per day so far.

2 Likes

@Aug291956 did you mean to reply to me? Because my father died from Covid on March 29.

No, Imago13 my reply was not direct it to you. It was directed to delmarred. I really apologize for it and with all of my respects and would like to tell you that I am so sorry for your father’s death and I really feel for your pain and suffering.

I was about to edit my post as I went and read the editorial part of delmarred’s post and realized due to context you were definitely responding to him. Thanks for the well wishes. It really is a weird time and way to have a loved one depart. You barely have a funeral and you can’t really get together with your family afterward because that would be irresponsible. My eldest sister didn’t travel in from DC. Once everything get under control we plan to have a memorial so we can go through the normal grieving process.

2 Likes

Imago13, I really thank you for your understanding and if there is anything that I can do to help you, please contact me at 832-587-7237. We are part of the Cougar family.

Looks like the OP found an old chart like the one linked below and assumed it was still true. Not sure how this passed anyone’s smell test

http://www.cr.k12.ia.us/assets/1/6/deaths.pdf

I will say this too. The sentiment behind these kinds of comments weren’t even correct when the stats were accurate. Pandemics are a different beast. They always start small and blow up later. You either get ahead of them or you don’t. We didn’t and we are paying the price.

The first thread on COVID in March said something similar. We see where we are now.

4 Likes

The number should have set off anyone’s natural critical thinking. 700,000 definitely is more than 56 per day. Heck, the total for the United States alone divided by 200 days far eclipses that. USA is at about 800 a day for 2020.
People should start to be aware of their own confirmation bias and, if it is throwing them that far off reality, should rethink their stance and views on everything involving COVID-19.

1 Like

There are plenty of studies showing people overall are generally good at finding logic holes in something they don’t agree with and bad at finding logic holes in something that confirms pre-existing beliefs. There are evolutionary reasons behind why this is hard-wired into us unfortunately.

But yeah, if you see something that seems way off from what’s being generally portrayed (like 56 deaths a day) you should take a second look.

Also, we don’t focus on deaths for the entire world when making policy decisions in the US.

For example, there are 3,014 TB deaths a day worldwide but less than 1.5 in the US.

1 Like

We should probably keep track of these numbers as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/29/nearly-half-the-us-population-is-without-a-job-showing-how-far-the-labor-recovery-has-to-go.html

Sure should. We won’t get those jobs back in force until we get the pandemic under control.

3 Likes

I’ve said if quite a few times on here. You can’t rebuild your house until you put out the fire. People who are using the economy as a poor refutation don’t get, or don’t want to get, the fact that right now COVID is the driver of the economy. Not monetary rates, not the stock market, not stimulus plans. To mix metaphors, all we can do until we get it under control is put band aids on. We have to stop the bleeding first.

While still bad, the June employment-population ratio is 54.6% which is up from May (what the article above is based on).

For context, it was 61.2% in January.