Spring game for OOTCs

It wasn’t often but occasionally they would have an “endzone shot” and you could see the wider splits. But you are right from the side line view it’s not really noticeable.

It’s funny, you can tell that some of them are still getting used to it because I would see the left tackle and left guard in just a little tighter than the right side.

This will really help the running game as well and it showed today. With those splits it allows the RB to hit the hole harder and make a big run. Car was able to get some good runs today, no more running into a pile over and over again :grinning:

5 Likes

You’re right. I noticed our running game was much more effective today and that certainly explains it.

I definitely don’t miss the often predictable “run up the middle into a pile for one yard” plays of last year.

4 Likes

While I understood the explanation provided for those runs as needed to establish a credible run threat to keep defenses honest, it is my hope we will have more success in that regard with these OL splits.

Many thanks shawnterry79 and CougarJim for the strategic insights.

2 Likes

Bryson Smith looked very comfortable in the new offense. He has Ward-like wheels and moves. Mark (wr) and Mitchell (rb) were unexpected highlights for me. King and Car did their thing. Defense got used to tempo in second half and played well.

Good Spring Game and glad I got to watch it as an ootc. Nice to hear Jeremy and Ted on the call as well.

1 Like

It’s amazing how this simple change in scheme can change everything so dramatically. And after they would get a good run or two you would see the defense cheat in. So then you see a vertical pass for a huge gain. So great to see this style of football again.

3 Likes

Good Spring game but no bubble screens that I saw. Disappointed.

Our pleasure. I’ve heard Briles say that we are going to be aggressive but also take what they give us. That is to me that they are going to move fast, look to run and pound the ball, but as soon as they commit to the run we go deep. When they commit to stopping the passing game we run. But we will be constantly aggressive at taking what they give us.

4 Likes

Yea, the receivers are much faster. Counted two bubble screens and they were back to back. Very happy.

True but our #1 center, Will Noble is being held out today.

They avg 10 sec between play’s

*edit: I was keeping a clock from whistle to next snap. DK was the fastest (makes sense).

I actually thought he looked uncomfortable. Maybe I am cherry picking a few passes that were off or bad.

1 Like

Spring games prove nothing !!

Just fun for the players.

2 Likes

disagree

• lamar jackson scored 7tds in 1 half his sophmore spring game, it was brushed off to spring game or bad Louisville defense , he went on to win the heisman
  • on uc most touted year in recent history on gunner kiles junior year, they were supposed to be dominae, he struggled badly in the spring game, it was brushed off as spring…their offense ended up sucking
  • okorn sturggled badly in his spring game on his sphmore year, hundreds of people on the board brushed off the struggle as spring, his sophmire year was bad
  • we didnt have 1 long play all spring game last year, it was brsuhed off as spring, we had few big plays in the season

the sprng game isnt meaningless, i dont get why people say this…i cant think of a time when someone was horrible in spring and was dominant in fall

spring game isnt the end all be all of anything but it does give you a mall window into what you might expect in fall. little glimpses here and there

8 Likes

Coaches should be doing this in scrimmages !!!

Spring games are for the fans.

1 Like

Spring games are pretty spot on
2015 -a tale of strong dbacks and a strong running game and we won the Peach bowl , motivated team
2016-I. Johnson tore up the secondary …Memphis and SMU, Navy exploited it as well
2017- can I say turnovers we played three qbacks and ran the OC out of Dodge.

5 Likes

Nice pickup. I knew it was fast but I wasn’t sure how fast. Again one of those things we pretty much never saw last year.

My impression this year is that we’re going to be good. We have offensive depth at QB, RB, receiver and Oline. We couldn’t say that over the past couple of Springs. I’m expecting the Dbackfield to be better this year (maybe not great, but better), an awesome Dline. For me the biggest ? is with the LBs. We’ll find out this Fall. Excited about next year. I couldn’t say that at this time last year. Cautious optimism is about all I could muster.

3 Likes

So in 2016, Herman was interviewing other teams during spring practices ?

OTOH…he may have been !!

1 Like

Agree offense knew what they were doing out there. Disciplined, communicated well, ran the ball effectively. All three levels. pleasantly surprised.

To me the defensive backfield may have regressed. Easy to get behind and predictable. Not sure how you fix this. Guess play prevent and try to out score opponents.

Overally a better spring game than last year. And the autograph session was splendid. Enjoyed chatting up those young men. BTW , last time UH had a fan autograph session, UH won the peach bowl. Just saying.

4 Likes